    slow. Can anyone recommend their broadband ISP that has a fast newserver
    and no other disadvantages. I can't understand why Pipex wont sort this
    out, if it wasn't for that I would rate them 100%!

    M, Apr 27, 2004

  2. M

    Paul - xxx Guest

    M posted ...

    > I currently have uncapped 576.0 Kps broadband access from Pipex for
    > 23.44 pounds per month but I want to change because the newsgroup
    > server is so slow. Can anyone recommend their broadband ISP that has
    > a fast newserver and no other disadvantages. I can't understand why
    > Pipex wont sort this out, if it wasn't for that I would rate them
    > 100%!

    Maybe just try a different (free of charge but most excellent) newsserver
    .... http://news.cis.dfn.de/ though this is text-only .. ;)

    I wouldn't compromise on the basic internet connection speed just for the
    newsfeed.

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Apr 27, 2004

  3. M

    Friar Tuck Guest

    Do you need to access binaries with Pipex or just text? If you're happy with
    text then change your news server to:

    news-text.dsl.pipex.com

    much faster than the binaries one...

    Friar Tuck, Apr 27, 2004
  4. M wrote:

    > I currently have uncapped 576.0 Kps broadband access from Pipex for 23.44
    > pounds per month but I want to change because the newsgroup server is so
    > slow. Can anyone recommend their broadband ISP that has a fast newserver
    > and no other disadvantages. I can't understand why Pipex wont sort this
    > out, if it wasn't for that I would rate them 100%!

    ISP news servers suck, that's just a fact of life. You'd probably be better
    off by either getting a news reader which is capable of handling many
    different servers and setting it up with various free (but slow and
    incomplete) binary servers, or paying for a premium binary server. See
    alt.binaries.news-server-comparison and alt.free.newsservers
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Apr 28, 2004
  5. M

    Chris Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message
    > I currently have uncapped 576.0 Kps broadband access from Pipex for 23.44
    > pounds per month but I want to change because the newsgroup server is so
    > slow. Can anyone recommend their broadband ISP that has a fast newserver
    > and no other disadvantages. I can't understand why Pipex wont sort this
    > out, if it wasn't for that I would rate them 100%!

    I can recommend blueyonder (UK service) from telewest....never had a
    problem...
    Tech support have always been over-helpful (but I AM a moron remember), and
    at the end of May their 512k connection (uncapped) goes up to 750k at no
    extra cost.
    I pay £25 per month....But you can also get 1.5mbps for £35 per month if
    you're feeling rich...
    News seems fine as well, but my demands aren't really that great....

    Chris

    Chris, Apr 28, 2004
  6. M

    EricP Guest

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:38:50 +0100, "M" <> wrote:

    >I currently have uncapped 576.0 Kps broadband access from Pipex for 23.44
    >pounds per month but I want to change because the newsgroup server is so
    >slow. Can anyone recommend their broadband ISP that has a fast newserver
    >and no other disadvantages. I can't understand why Pipex wont sort this
    >out, if it wasn't for that I would rate them 100%!

    You would be better to stay with Pipex at that price and buy a decent
    server space. That means ex-uk and probably US.

    EricP, Apr 28, 2004