    pissed!)

    Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use, or
    a trial version that would get me through this one project?

    Toolman Tim, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    > obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's laptops
    > that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the production
    > team is off for the holidays.
    >
    > So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD to
    > MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the complete job
    > without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded (seriously! - I was
    > pissed!)
    >
    > Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use, or
    > a trial version that would get me through this one project?

    Linnie's right, the .vob files *are* .mpg files. But if the DVD is
    encrypted, it's a different story.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    > obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's laptops
    > that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the production
    > team is off for the holidays.
    >
    > So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD to
    > MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the complete job
    > without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded (seriously! - I was
    > pissed!)
    >
    > Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use, or
    > a trial version that would get me through this one project?

    Yes, DVDShrink

    Google for it and you'll find it

    Roger Jansson, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim

    fred-bloggs Guest

    http://dvdx.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdx-main.htm

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim

    Linnie Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    > obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's laptops
    > that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the
    > production team is off for the holidays.
    >
    > So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD to
    > MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the complete
    > job without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded (seriously! -
    > I was pissed!)
    >
    > Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use,
    > or a trial version that would get me through this one project?

    Are the DVDs copy protected?

    Linnie, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Toolman Tim

    Linnie Guest

    Linnie wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    >> obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's
    >> laptops that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the
    >> production team is off for the holidays.
    >>
    >> So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD to
    >> MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the complete
    >> job without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded (seriously! -
    >> I was pissed!)
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use,
    >> or a trial version that would get me through this one project?
    >>

    > Are the DVDs copy protected?

    If they are not, try copying the *.vob files to your hard drive and renaning
    them to *.mpg. I works for me in nero midia player and ATI file player and
    windows midia player. That's all I tried it with.

    Linnie, Dec 21, 2005
  7. Toolman Tim

    Fracked Guest

    "Linnie" <> wrote in message
    > Linnie wrote:
    >
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    >>> obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's
    >>> laptops that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the
    >>> production team is off for the holidays.
    >>>
    >>> So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD
    >>> MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the complete
    >>> job without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded
    >>> (seriously! -
    >>> I was pissed!)
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use,
    >>> or a trial version that would get me through this one project?
    >>>

    >> Are the DVDs copy protected?

    > If they are not, try copying the *.vob files to your hard drive and
    > renaning
    > them to *.mpg. I works for me in nero midia player and ATI file player and
    > windows midia player. That's all I tried it with.

    No copy protection/encryption - these are ultimately for free distribution.
    We are still in the development stage, but in order for our staff to "proof"
    the training vid, I needed it on several PCs which have no DVD player.

    Your tip worked perfect - thanks!

    Fracked, Dec 21, 2005
  8. Toolman Tim

    Fracked Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    >> obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's
    >> laptops that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the
    >> production team is off for the holidays.
    >>
    >> So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD to
    >> MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the complete
    >> job without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded (seriously! -
    >> I was pissed!)
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use,
    >> or a trial version that would get me through this one project?

    > Linnie's right, the .vob files *are* .mpg files. But if the DVD is
    > encrypted, it's a different story.

    No encryption - and they are 5 minute training videos, so size isn't a real
    issue either. Thanks, all!

    Fracked, Dec 21, 2005
  9. Toolman Tim

    old jon Guest

    "Fracked" <> wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    >>> obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's
    >>> laptops that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the
    >>> production team is off for the holidays.
    >>>
    >>> So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD
    >>> to MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the
    >>> complete job without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded
    >>> (seriously! - I was pissed!)
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use,
    >>> or a trial version that would get me through this one project?

    >> Linnie's right, the .vob files *are* .mpg files. But if the DVD is
    >> encrypted, it's a different story.

    > No encryption - and they are 5 minute training videos, so size isn't a
    > real issue either. Thanks, all!

    Size is Always an issue <g>.

    old jon, Dec 21, 2005
  10. Toolman Tim

    Linnie Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> I have a training video at work that was provided to us on DVD. We can
    >> obviously get it resent as an AVI or MPG for use on our salesman's
    >> laptops that don't have DVD players. But I don't have time to wait - the
    >> production team is off for the holidays.
    >>
    >> So I was looking around on the web for software that would rip the DVD to
    >> MPEG or AVI. The ones I found are all "demos" and won't do the complete
    >> job without paying for the program, or had spyware embedded (seriously! -
    >> I was pissed!)
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a freeware or open source solution that I could use,
    >> or a trial version that would get me through this one project?

    > Linnie's right, the .vob files *are* .mpg files. But if the DVD is
    > encrypted, it's a different story.

    Another problem with that is that they are not compressed and might be to
    large for a laptop. The big advantage for me would be that is fast and
    easy.

    Linnie, Dec 21, 2005
  11. Toolman Tim

    Guest