Can anyone recommend a good DVB card?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013.

  1. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Thursday, 21 February 2013 10:05:35 UTC+13, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:36:01 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    >
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 14:13:09 UTC+13, Frank Williams wrote:

    > ><snip>

    > >> Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.

    > >What card would that be, Roger? I am talking about DVB-T cards here, not analog tuners.

    > You dit not read the Full post I am refering to a 3D card that can
    > handle the video stream and not to hog the CPU..

    Ah, so you were wandering off-topic and talking about video *display* cards, not video capture cards.

    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013

  2. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Thursday, 21 February 2013 10:08:15 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:
    > On 21/02/13 09:36, JohnO wrote:
    >
    > Roger is talking about the video cards which can do a lot of the hard
    > lifting of decompressing the video stream and so on.

    Yeah, so I see. Anyway, it's all gone a bit irrelevant and off-topic to the subject of selecting a video capture device.

    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013

  3. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    On 21/02/13 10:03, JohnO wrote:
    > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:47:32 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good?

    > It has 4 tuners - DVB-S2 (Hidef satellite - is there anything in
    > NZ?) - DVB-S - Freeview satellite - DVB-T High def and std def
    > terrestrial freeview - Analog RF )about to be turned off in NZ)
    >
    > Do you need satellite? Plenty of places do have poor UHF coverage. If
    > you have good UHF maybe you don't need satellite (or a dish).
    >
    > Note that you don't need multiple tuners to record multiple DVB-T
    > simultaneous channels. The software can demultiplex them.
    >
    >> http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

    Terrestrial digital TV is broadcast on three frequencies in NZ. So far
    as I am aware a single tuner can tune only one frequency at a time, so
    you can only record and watch one set of channels if you have a single
    tuner (or so I believe). If you have two tuners you can watch a
    different channel to the one that you are recording, but the third
    channel will be unavailable. In most practical cases two tuners will
    suffice.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 20, 2013
  4. On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:39:03 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 17:28:12 UTC+13, Gordon wrote:
    >> On 2013-02-20, Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >> > Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.

    >> Indeed. For this cards job after all. Roger is going well in this thread.

    >I am aware of analog tuners such as the classic Hauppauge PVR-150 style that to on card MPeg-2 decompression but that is now largely irrelevant with the demise of analog TV. What DVB-T cards are available that will do onboard MPeg-4 decompression, in particular of the type used in NZ Freeview?

    I did find a PCI card that had a on board hardware MPEG2 encoding and
    some reviews on it, but that was many years ago, but I might still have
    links to it.

    All you really need is a Nvidia or AMD video card that will handle the
    steaming.

    Also Hauppauge do make then look on there web site

    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2013
  5. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Thursday, 21 February 2013 10:22:38 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:
    > On 21/02/13 10:03, JohnO wrote:

    <snip>

    > Terrestrial digital TV is broadcast on three frequencies in NZ. So far
    > as I am aware a single tuner can tune only one frequency at a time, so
    > you can only record and watch one set of channels if you have a single
    > tuner (or so I believe). If you have two tuners you can watch a
    > different channel to the one that you are recording, but the third
    > channel will be unavailable. In most practical cases two tuners will
    > suffice.

    Yep that sounds right. And the DVT-T sticks are so cheap it's no burden to add them if needed.

    The main issue is getting good reception around NZ's many valleys.

    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013
  6. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , JohnO says...

    > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:47:32 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...

    > It has 4 tuners
    > - DVB-S2 (Hidef satellite - is there anything in NZ?)
    > - DVB-S - Freeview satellite
    > - DVB-T High def and std def terrestrial freeview
    > - Analog RF )about to be turned off in NZ)
    >
    > Do you need satellite? Plenty of places do have poor UHF coverage. If you have good UHF maybe you don't need satellite (or a dish).
    >
    > Note that you don't need multiple tuners to record multiple DVB-T simultaneous channels. The software can demultiplex them.
    >

    > > http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

    Thanks for the info. I have good line-of-sight to Sugaloaf down here in
    Otautahi.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Feb 21, 2013
  7. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    On 21/02/13 10:19, JohnO wrote:
    > On Thursday, 21 February 2013 10:08:15 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:
    >> On 21/02/13 09:36, JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >> Roger is talking about the video cards which can do a lot of the
    >> hard lifting of decompressing the video stream and so on.
    >>

    > Yeah, so I see. Anyway, it's all gone a bit irrelevant and off-topic
    > to the subject of selecting a video capture device.

    In defense of Rog, not really. If all the capture device is capture the
    data stream, it can be fairly basic, because the video card can handle
    much of the rest.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 22, 2013