Can anyone recommend a good DVB card?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <-september.org>,
    >
    > , Dave Doe says...
    >
    > >

    >
    > > Maybe one of these? ...

    >
    > >

    >
    > > http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

    >
    >
    >
    > Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    >
    > card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    >
    > ...
    >
    > http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Duncan.


    The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one and it seems to just work.

    The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners. That'sa waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.
    JohnO, Feb 19, 2013
    #3
  4. On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 00:21:03 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <-september.org>,
    >, Dave Doe says...
    >>
    >> Maybe one of these? ...
    >>
    >> http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

    >
    >Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    >card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    >...
    >http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460



    I brought a USB stick from China, it had comments that it worked in NZ
    it dose, cost some $20, the same looking model is sold on Trade Me for
    about $34.

    To day this Hauppauge would be the only brand I would look for, have
    very good support and from memory and a 2 tuner model

    http://www.hauppauge.com.sg/

    You can email them as I have done this in the past.
    Frank Williams, Feb 19, 2013
    #4
  5. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/02/13 10:12, JohnO wrote:
    > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <-september.org>,
    >>
    >> , Dave Doe says...
    >>
    >>>

    >>
    >>> Maybe one of these? ...

    >>
    >>>

    >>
    >>> http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an
    >> on-board
    >>
    >> card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    >>
    >> ...
    >>
    >> http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Duncan.

    >
    > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
    > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
    > and it seems to just work.
    >
    > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
    > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I
    > would avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't
    > require opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI
    > might disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.
    >

    I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've tried a
    DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the
    current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which
    shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way
    to go.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 19, 2013
    #5
  6. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , JohnO says...
    >
    > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > >
    > > , Dave Doe says...
    > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > > Maybe one of these? ...

    > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > > http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    > >
    > > card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    > >
    > > ...
    > >
    > > http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Duncan.

    >
    > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
    > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
    > and it seems to just work.
    >
    > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
    > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
    > avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
    > opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
    > disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.


    Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.

    Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...

    http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013
    #6
  7. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...
    >
    > In article <>,
    > , JohnO says...
    > >
    > > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    > > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > >
    > > > , Dave Doe says...
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > Maybe one of these? ...
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    > > >
    > > > card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    > > >
    > > > ...
    > > >
    > > > http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Duncan.

    > >
    > > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
    > > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
    > > and it seems to just work.
    > >
    > > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
    > > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
    > > avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
    > > opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
    > > disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

    >
    > Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.
    >
    > Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...
    >
    > http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119


    Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...

    http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=284554

    I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013
    #7
  8. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:01:28 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:
    > On 20/02/13 10:12, JohnO wrote:

    <snip>
    > >

    > I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've tried a
    > DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the
    > current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which
    > shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way
    > to go.


    Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of workto demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.

    >
    > Cheers,
    >


    That reminds me - these things sometimes come with a little desktop antenna- but I've found them useless and have only had good results connecting toa proper roof top UHF antenna. Maybe the little ones are ok if you have a close line of sight view of one of the transmitter towers.
    JohnO, Feb 19, 2013
    #8
  9. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...
    >
    > In article <-september.org>,
    > , Dave Doe says...
    > >
    > > In article <>,
    > > , JohnO says...
    > > >
    > > > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    > > > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > > >
    > > > > , Dave Doe says...
    > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > Maybe one of these? ...
    > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    > > > >
    > > > > card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    > > > >
    > > > > ...
    > > > >
    > > > > http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > --
    > > > >
    > > > > Duncan.
    > > >
    > > > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
    > > > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
    > > > and it seems to just work.
    > > >
    > > > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
    > > > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
    > > > avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
    > > > opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
    > > > disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

    > >
    > > Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.
    > >
    > > Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...
    > >
    > > http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

    >
    > Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...
    >
    > http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=284554
    >
    > I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?


    Um... I also believe that any device would come with some software, but
    I'm looking at (also) running this...

    http://www.progdvb.com/

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 19, 2013
    #9
  10. On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:49:40 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <-september.org>,
    >, Dave Doe says...
    >>
    >> In article <>,
    >> , JohnO says...
    >> >
    >> > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    >> > > In article <-september.org>,
    >> > >
    >> > > , Dave Doe says...
    >> > >
    >> > > >
    >> > >
    >> > > > Maybe one of these? ...
    >> > >
    >> > > >
    >> > >
    >> > > > http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb
    >> > >
    >> > >
    >> > >
    >> > > Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    >> > >
    >> > > card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    >> > >
    >> > > ...
    >> > >
    >> > > http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
    >> > >
    >> > >
    >> > >
    >> > > --
    >> > >
    >> > > Duncan.
    >> >
    >> > The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
    >> > support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
    >> > and it seems to just work.
    >> >
    >> > The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
    >> > That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
    >> > avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
    >> > opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
    >> > disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

    >>
    >> Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.
    >>
    >> Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...
    >>
    >> http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

    >
    >Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...
    >
    >http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=284554
    >
    >I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?



    You don't need to be a PC tech to install it or the invalidate your
    warrantee.
    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2013
    #10
  11. On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:50:32 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:01:28 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:
    >> On 20/02/13 10:12, JohnO wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> >

    >> I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've tried a
    >> DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the
    >> current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which
    >> shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way
    >> to go.

    >
    >Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of work to demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.
    >



    Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.


    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>

    >
    >That reminds me - these things sometimes come with a little desktop antenna - but I've found them useless and have only had good results connecting to a proper roof top UHF antenna. Maybe the little ones are ok if you have a close line of sight view of one of the transmitter towers.
    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2013
    #11
  12. Dave Doe

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 20/02/2013 10:28 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 00:21:03 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <-september.org>,
    >> , Dave Doe says...
    >>>
    >>> Maybe one of these? ...
    >>>
    >>> http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb

    >>
    >> Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    >> card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    >> ...
    >> http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460

    >
    >
    > I brought a USB stick from China, it had comments that it worked in NZ
    > it dose, cost some $20, the same looking model is sold on Trade Me for
    > about $34.
    >
    > To day this Hauppauge would be the only brand I would look for, have
    > very good support and from memory and a 2 tuner model
    >
    > http://www.hauppauge.com.sg/
    >
    > You can email them as I have done this in the past.
    >


    "it had comments that it worked in NZ it dose"
    Could you translate this please?
    Gib Bogle, Feb 20, 2013
    #12
  13. Dave Doe

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-02-20, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:50:32 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:01:28 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:
    >>> On 20/02/13 10:12, JohnO wrote:

    >><snip>
    >>> >
    >>> I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've tried a
    >>> DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the
    >>> current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which
    >>> shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way
    >>> to go.

    >>
    >>Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of work to demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.
    >

    Indeed. For this cards job after all. Roger is going well in this thread.
    Gordon, Feb 20, 2013
    #13
  14. Dave Doe

    victor Guest

    On 20/02/2013 12:49 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <-september.org>,
    > , Dave Doe says...
    >>
    >> In article <>,
    >> , JohnO says...
    >>>
    >>> On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 00:21:03 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>>> In article <-september.org>,
    >>>>
    >>>> , Dave Doe says...
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Maybe one of these? ...
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> http://pricespy.co.nz/#rparams=ss=dvb
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Or (bloody hell, there's a few) these? - probably prefer an on-board
    >>>>
    >>>> card, but if the USB sticks are good - I don't know
    >>>>
    >>>> ...
    >>>>
    >>>> http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=460
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>>
    >>>> Duncan.
    >>>
    >>> The Hauppauge Nova-T has been around for ages, has lots of driver
    >>> support and seems to be a bit of a reference standard. I've got one
    >>> and it seems to just work.
    >>>
    >>> The HVR designation means hybrid - it has analog and digital tuners.
    >>> That's a waste of money as analog is about to be switched off. I would
    >>> avoid PCI cards and get USB - USB is here to stay and doesn't require
    >>> opening the case and can be moved from PC to PC easily. PCI might
    >>> disappear from motherboards and is a fiddle to install.

    >>
    >> Cheers, I shoulda mentioned I have no PCI, just PCI-E.
    >>
    >> Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...
    >>
    >> http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119

    >
    > Then again, he's got this, and it's only $90 ...
    >
    > http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=284554
    >
    > I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?
    >


    You can put it on a usb cable and put it up near a window, you can use
    it with a laptop.
    The digital stream is mpeg4 so its like playing mpeg4 files off a usb
    drive for the cpu.
    The name brands will probably have the same chipset as the cheapies
    Try DX.com and you can probably get one for $20 with free shipping
    victor, Feb 20, 2013
    #14
  15. Dave Doe

    victor Guest

    On 20/02/2013 8:51 p.m., victor wrote:
    > On 20/02/2013 12:49 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:


    >>
    >> I just don't know about a USB stick - why would/could that be better?
    >>

    >
    > You can put it on a usb cable and put it up near a window, you can use
    > it with a laptop.
    > The digital stream is mpeg4 so its like playing mpeg4 files off a usb
    > drive for the cpu.
    > The name brands will probably have the same chipset as the cheapies
    > Try DX.com and you can probably get one for $20 with free shipping


    And you can have several tuners
    victor, Feb 20, 2013
    #15
  16. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 14:13:09 UTC+13, Frank Williams wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    > >Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of work to demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.


    >
    > Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.
    >


    What card would that be, Roger? I am talking about DVB-T cards here, not analog tuners.
    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013
    #16
  17. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 17:28:12 UTC+13, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-02-20, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:50:32 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>

    >
    > > wrote:

    >
    > >>On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:01:28 UTC+13, Enkidu wrote:

    >
    > >>> On 20/02/13 10:12, JohnO wrote:

    >
    > >><snip>

    >
    > >>> >

    >
    > >>> I've had variable results with USB stick devices (not that I've trieda

    >
    > >>> DVB one though). Some of them seem seem flaky, possibly because the

    >
    > >>> current drain is too high for the port they are plugged into, which

    >
    > >>> shouldn't be a problem with recent hardware. That said, USB is the way

    >
    > >>> to go.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >>Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of work to demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >

    >
    > >

    >
    > > Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.

    >
    > >

    >
    > Indeed. For this cards job after all. Roger is going well in this thread.


    I am aware of analog tuners such as the classic Hauppauge PVR-150 style that to on card MPeg-2 decompression but that is now largely irrelevant with the demise of analog TV. What DVB-T cards are available that will do onboardMPeg-4 decompression, in particular of the type used in NZ Freeview?
    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013
    #17
  18. Dave Doe

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 12:47:32 UTC+13, Dave Doe wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    > Looking at the HVR2200, but for another $50 the HVR4400 looks good? ...


    It has 4 tuners
    - DVB-S2 (Hidef satellite - is there anything in NZ?)
    - DVB-S - Freeview satellite
    - DVB-T High def and std def terrestrial freeview
    - Analog RF )about to be turned off in NZ)

    Do you need satellite? Plenty of places do have poor UHF coverage. If you have good UHF maybe you don't need satellite (or a dish).

    Note that you don't need multiple tuners to record multiple DVB-T simultaneous channels. The software can demultiplex them.

    >
    > http://www.tastech.co.nz/index.php?cPath=119
    >
    JohnO, Feb 20, 2013
    #18
  19. On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:36:01 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 14:13:09 UTC+13, Frank Williams wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> >Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU has to do a lot of work to demultiplex and decompress the video stream out of it.

    >
    >>
    >> Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.
    >>

    >
    >What card would that be, Roger? I am talking about DVB-T cards here, not analog tuners.



    You dit not read the Full post I am refering to a 3D card that can
    handle the video stream and not to hog the CPU..


    CUDA & AMD App.

    Do some reading.
    Frank Williams, Feb 20, 2013
    #19
  20. Dave Doe

    Enkidu Guest

    On 21/02/13 09:36, JohnO wrote:
    > On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 14:13:09 UTC+13, Frank Williams
    > wrote: <snip>
    >>
    >>> Yeah, the DVB ones don't have to do any processing - they just
    >>> eat up the digital data off the air and pump it out. The PC CPU
    >>> has to do a lot of work to demultiplex and decompress the video
    >>> stream out of it.

    >
    >>
    >> Not so as the Video card can do it if you have the right card.
    >>

    >
    > What card would that be, Roger? I am talking about DVB-T cards here,
    > not analog tuners.
    >

    Roger is talking about the video cards which can do a lot of the hard
    lifting of decompressing the video stream and so on.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Feb 20, 2013
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DragonRider

    Can anyone recommend a good IP spoof app?

    DragonRider, Jun 25, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,268
    Richard
    Jun 25, 2003
  2. trigger

    Can anyone recommend a good news server

    trigger, Dec 8, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,613
    Boomer
    Dec 8, 2003
  3. Samuel Bortnick

    Can anyone recommend a good dital photo lab in the Dallas area?

    Samuel Bortnick, Oct 16, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    321
    Samuel Bortnick
    Oct 16, 2003
  4. Samuel Bortnick

    Can anyone recommend a good dital photo lab in the Dallas area?

    Samuel Bortnick, Oct 16, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    299
    Samuel Bortnick
    Oct 16, 2003
  5. XPD

    DVB-S or DVB-T ?

    XPD, Jul 3, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    474
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Jul 4, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page