Can anyone please help - proxy address refuses to go!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by David, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Can anyone PLEASE herlp!

    I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
    but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
    settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
    properly removed.

    After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
    proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'

    I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
    going to the
    Tools
    Network
    Settings

    it is still there!

    I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
    click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
    However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
    is still there!
    I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
    amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
    advise please?

    Thanks

    David

    David, Oct 26, 2006

  2. On 10/26/2006 04:38 AM, David wrote:
    > Can anyone PLEASE herlp!
    >
    > I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
    > but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
    > settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
    > properly removed.
    >
    > After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
    > proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'
    >
    > I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
    > going to the
    > Tools
    > Network
    > Settings
    >
    > it is still there!
    >
    > I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
    > click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
    > However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
    > is still there!
    > I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
    > amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
    > advise please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    What is the proxy address (and port number)?

    Mumia W. (reading news), Oct 26, 2006

  3. David <isp.user> writes:

    > I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
    > click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
    > However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
    > is still there!
    > I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
    > amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
    > advise please?

    user.js ?

    --
    Simon Kellett, Darmstadt, Germany | http://www.zoxed.eu
    Gentoo Linux, Fvwm, Firefox | Xemacs, vm, Gnus

    Simon Kellett, Nov 3, 2006
  4. David

    Chuck Guest

    David wrote:
    > Can anyone PLEASE herlp!
    >
    > I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
    > but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
    > settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
    > properly removed.
    >
    > After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
    > proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'
    >
    > I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
    > going to the
    > Tools
    > Network
    > Settings
    >
    > it is still there!
    >
    > I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
    > click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
    > However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
    > is still there!
    > I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
    > amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
    > advise please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    Sounds like some sort of browser hijack. Someone wants to know where you
    are going and maybe even steal your passwords.

    Like Mumia said. What's the hostname (or IP address) and port #.
    Inquiring minds want to know.

    Chuck, Nov 3, 2006
  5. David wrote:
    > Can anyone PLEASE herlp!
    >
    > I have used the penultimate Mozilla Firefox for many months now,
    > but suddenly found that a proxy address had appeared in in the
    > settings and this slows the connection down, but also cannot be
    > properly removed.
    >
    > After I delete it and close the browser, on starting up again, the
    > proxy address is still there in the 'Manual Proxy Configuration'
    >
    > I therefore downlaoded Mozilla 2 and much to my amazement, on
    > going to the
    > Tools
    > Network
    > Settings
    >
    > it is still there!
    >
    > I then delete it, click on the 'Direct Conenction to the internet' ,
    > click on 'OK', and refresh the browser and things are back to normal.
    > However, after I close the browser and restart it, the proxy address
    > is still there!
    > I cannoit find the file in which the address is present Ii intended
    > amending that file to stop it adding this address), so can anyone
    > advise please?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    Are you using anyh sort of web accellerator on a dial up connection?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 3, 2006