Can anyone help with video format conversion.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by RainCity, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. RainCity

    RainCity Guest

    This is possibly a RARE post.
    I'm going to BUY some software, I just don't know what it is yet.

    I use Pinnacle Studio (I know, ha ha) to create DVD's. I have a LOT of
    different kinds of video, collected by friends, sent to be by friends.
    Generally .avi and .mov files. I can't load them into Studio 9 (or whatever
    version I am using). Sometimes, I can import the video into Windows Movie
    Maker, and export to an mpeg file (mpeg 2? or mpeg 3? 4?) Those files can
    usually be used by Studio.

    Anyway, I'm looking for a video converter software (purchase - hopefully
    $20-$50? or freeware that works, not stripped down) that can/will transform
    video files back and forth from at least input.mov, input.avi, input.mpeg to
    output.mpeg. with purpose of being able to import the resultant output.mpeg
    video file into Studio. I can use studio to edit out and combine clips.
    But if Conversion s/w package did some of this too, that might be nice.

    ( I suppose I should ask about .divx, .asf [I don't have any of those, I
    don't think - what IS it?], .ram? Real Media? I don't think I have any of
    those either, but it would be interesting to capture some .rm video and save
    it? is that possible? )

    Maybe I should trash the Studio and go with something else for home movie
    DVD creation? Would that get me around the .mov, .avi, .divx format
    problem, if a different package would import all/most formats? I'm sort of
    entrenched in Studio, don't want to spend MONEY to change.

    My hardware:
    I am using a (circa 2002) Dell Dimension 8200 2.6 GHz Pentium IV, nVidia
    GEForce4TI 4200, a 160 gigabyte hard drive, an additional 250 gigabyte hard
    drive, 1GB Rambus memory.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    (and forgive me, but I will probably cross post this question on a couple of
    other newsgroups)

    RainCity, Mar 17, 2006

  2. RainCity

    ivan Guest

    ivan, Mar 17, 2006

  3. Although I typically advocate open source, free software (check my
    headers), I've actually been really impressed with River Past Video
    Cleaner. I originally used it a couple years ago to convert some
    Quicktime (I hate that program) .mov's to MPEG, and it worked great.
    I've also used it to convert videos for my BREW based Verizon cell phone
    (.3g2). It's a good piece of software, and IMO worth the $30; too bad
    it's Windows only...

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 17, 2006
  4. RainCity

    RainCity Guest

    Okay gang,
    thanks for the input.
    I have these responses and some from other newsgroups.
    YOUR experience will save me a LOT of time trying to figure out what product
    may or may NOT work right.

    I appreciate your replies

    RainCity, Mar 18, 2006
  5. On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:44:36 -0800, RainCity wrote:

    > This is possibly a RARE post.
    > I'm going to BUY some software, I just don't know what it is yet.
    >
    > I use Pinnacle Studio (I know, ha ha) to create DVD's. I have a LOT of
    > different kinds of video, collected by friends, sent to be by friends.
    > Generally .avi and .mov files. I can't load them into Studio 9 (or whatever
    > version I am using). Sometimes, I can import the video into Windows Movie
    > Maker, and export to an mpeg file (mpeg 2? or mpeg 3? 4?) Those files can
    > usually be used by Studio.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm looking for a video converter software (purchase - hopefully
    > $20-$50? or freeware that works, not stripped down) that can/will transform
    > video files back and forth from at least input.mov, input.avi, input.mpeg to
    > output.mpeg. with purpose of being able to import the resultant output.mpeg
    > video file into Studio. I can use studio to edit out and combine clips.
    > But if Conversion s/w package did some of this too, that might be nice.
    >
    > ( I suppose I should ask about .divx, .asf [I don't have any of those, I
    > don't think - what IS it?], .ram? Real Media? I don't think I have any of
    > those either, but it would be interesting to capture some .rm video and save
    > it? is that possible? )
    >
    > Maybe I should trash the Studio and go with something else for home movie
    > DVD creation? Would that get me around the .mov, .avi, .divx format
    > problem, if a different package would import all/most formats? I'm sort of
    > entrenched in Studio, don't want to spend MONEY to change.
    >
    > My hardware:
    > I am using a (circa 2002) Dell Dimension 8200 2.6 GHz Pentium IV, nVidia
    > GEForce4TI 4200, a 160 gigabyte hard drive, an additional 250 gigabyte hard
    > drive, 1GB Rambus memory.
    >

    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > (and forgive me, but I will probably cross post this question on a couple of
    > other newsgroups)

    http://mediacoder/sourceforge.net/
    perhaps?

    I havent tried it myself, but it looks promising. And it is freeware.

    RHE

    Rein Hjort-Elgeseth, Mar 20, 2006
  6. RainCity

    Lisa Guest

    You may try winavi video converter which can convert almost all video
    files (of course including mov and avi) to mpeg format. And most of
    all, the conversion is easy and fast while with stunning video and
    audio quality.
    Btw, you can find some more details from http://www.winavi.com

    Lisa, Mar 21, 2006