    1
    My Dad sang this song when he was in Grade 1 in late 1920s. It goes, "Jimmy dear you'll have to tend the baby, Take your little sister for a walk", and then something about "around the block". Would anyone know the lyrics to this song? We would like to sing it to him on his 85th birthday later this year.
    Thanks.

    Peggy, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Peggy

    kris20

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    16

    kris20, Jun 5, 2009

  3. Peggy

    cyraxx

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2010
    Messages:
    17
    it is call blind love by frank 888

    cyraxx, Dec 16, 2010
  4. Peggy

    jaynabq

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Jimmy Dear

    My Grammy used to sing this song to her kids, but sadly, my mother didn't sing it to me, so I never learned it. I have a single verse, dictated by my grandmother, and the chorus, dictated by my mom, but the song is not complete. My mom says it had a verse about playing baseball in it, but I will have to get back to you on those verses. If I can catch my mom or aunts singing it on a digital recorder I'll post it so you can hear the tune, too.

    Here are the lyrics I have:

    Dear Folks, behold a little boy who’s feeling very sad.
    The way that I am picked upon would make a preacher mad.
    I carry water, coal, and wood, and errands run all day,
    But when I want to go and play I hear my mother say,

    CHORUS:
    Jimmy Dear, you’ll have to tend the baby,
    Take your little sister for a walk.
    You can rock her in the little cradle, maybe,
    Or push her in the go-cart round the block.
    Never pout or frown when mother calls you,
    Little boys should cheerfully obey.
    Ain’t it tough to be a boy!
    Never get a bit of joy,
    But have to tend the baby every day!

    Hope this warms your heart!
    ~Jayna

    jaynabq, Apr 10, 2011
  5. Peggy

    brksjff

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Audio recording?

    My grandma used to sing this song to me when my sister was a baby (and replace "Jimmy" with my name). I never knew where she learned it, but she was in grade school in the 1920s, consistent with what someone wrote above. She grew up in Columbus, Nebraska.

    Does anyone have a recording of the song? I can't remember how the entire melody went.

    brksjff, Feb 3, 2014