Can anyone help troubleshoot this Windows problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff J, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Jeff J

    Jeff J Guest

    Here are the symptoms..
    (running Win98 on a pIII 800, 256 RAM)

    1. Internet Explorer randomly does not load certain images (red x's).
    2. Computer is extremely unstable. Error message come up all the
    time "Your System is Dangerously Low on Resources" and it freezes...
    explorer stops responding... etc. etc.

    Here's what I've done...
    1. For the Internet explorer issue I've tried everything. I have
    re-installed IE.. Of course I have cleared the cache completely..

    2. For the instability issues, I have modified my startup so there is
    really NOTHING unescessary running. Only the essentials. After a
    reboot I check my processess and there is very little running, but I
    still got resources warnings and crashes.

    Scanned for viruses (didn't find any)

    I ran scandisk / defrag. Still no good.

    I overinstalled Windows 98. Still no good.

    I then completely deleted Windows and re-installed it.

    It runs better now.. but it's not cured. Starting to get some red x's
    in Internet Explorer again. And it still crashes. It crashed a
    couple of times installing Windows. Basically it's not worth it to
    re-install all of my applications if it is still flaky and going to
    get worse as I add more.

    I think it must be a hardware problem. But I don't know how to
    troubleshoot what hardware it would be. I don't know if its the HD,
    the RAM or what.

    Can anyone help??

    Thanks!
    -Jeff
    Jeff J, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Jeff J

    Thor Guest

    "Jeff J" <> wrote in message
    > Here are the symptoms..
    > (running Win98 on a pIII 800, 256 RAM)
    >
    > 1. Internet Explorer randomly does not load certain images (red x's).

    A common issue with IE. Could be several things causing it, but if the
    problem is random, and usually fixed by hitting the refresh button, then I
    would just chalk it up to IE's hypersensitivity to timing out. It's
    annoying, but I see this frequently, and it's one of my biggest gripes about
    IE.

    > I then completely deleted Windows and re-installed it.
    >
    > It runs better now.. but it's not cured. Starting to get some red x's
    > in Internet Explorer again. And it still crashes. It crashed a
    > couple of times installing Windows. Basically it's not worth it to
    > re-install all of my applications if it is still flaky and going to
    > get worse as I add more.

    Try updating all your device drivers. Sound card, modem, ethernet (if
    present), chipset drivers, video drivers, etc.
    Thor, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Jeff J

    Plato Guest

    Jeff J wrote:

    > time "Your System is Dangerously Low on Resources" and it freezes...
    >
    > I think it must be a hardware problem. But I don't know how to

    I dont think so. It may be a boot sector virus that is eating the
    resources. Deleting windows or formatting doesn't get rid of such a
    nasty.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Jeff J

    Jeff J Guest

    Oh yea,

    And one other symptom is that it can't hold the time properly.

    Even after the re-install of Windows
    Jeff J, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Jeff J

    Tiger Hawk Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Jeff J wrote:
    >
    >>time "Your System is Dangerously Low on Resources" and it freezes...
    >>
    >>I think it must be a hardware problem. But I don't know how to

    > I dont think so. It may be a boot sector virus that is eating the
    > resources. Deleting windows or formatting doesn't get rid of such a
    > nasty.

    If it would be a hardware problem, I would check the memory, memtest86
    is good.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    I let it run for 5 hours on mine. I have heard of people being satisfied
    the memory is good after 3. And one guy said he had a chip that showed
    up bad after 14. I would give it at least 3.

    Do a surface scan with scandisk and have you installed any new hardware
    as of late?

    Full specs on you computer would help.
    Tiger Hawk, May 2, 2004
  6. Jeff J

    Jeff J Guest

    A boot sector virus eh? Sounds plausible. But how do you get rid of
    it if you can't do so by formatting or re-installing Windows?

    I haven't installed any new hardware lately. I'll try running the mem
    test and the scandisk surface scan (which I haven't done yet).

    What other specific specs do you need?
    Jeff J, May 3, 2004
  7. Jeff J

    Thor Guest

    run F-Prot antivirus from a boot floppy (made on a clean PC)

    Thor, May 3, 2004
  8. Jeff J

    Jeff J Guest

    I thought for certain it was going to be a boot sector virus as Norton
    did warn me a few times in the last few months that the master boot
    record had changed..

    But I booted from a starup disk ran the complete system scan with
    F-Prot and no viruses were detected.

    I ran memtest86 last night and when I woke up in the morning there
    were 7 errors.

    Is this bad? Is the RAM the problem? What is my next step?

    All the help is GREATLY appreciated!

    Thanks,
    -Jeff
    Jeff J, May 4, 2004
  9. Jeff J

    Thor Guest

    > I ran memtest86 last night and when I woke up in the morning there
    > were 7 errors.
    >
    > Is this bad? Is the RAM the problem? What is my next step?

    Replace the RAM. You should have absolutely no errors in a RAM test.
    Thor, May 4, 2004