Can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by happy ex tucker, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
    printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
    there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
    his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
    uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
    he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
    of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
    out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
    leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
    Thanks

    Happy Ex
     
    happy ex tucker, Feb 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. happy ex tucker

    Robert Baer Guest

    happy ex tucker wrote:
    >
    > I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
    > printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    > year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
    > there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
    > his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
    > uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
    > he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
    > of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
    > out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
    > leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Happy Ex


    Remove the whole printer every time you leave, or at minimum, remove
    the ink cartridges and paper each time.
    Pick your poison (method) and do not complain.
     
    Robert Baer, Feb 20, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. happy ex tucker

    Jerry G. Guest

    You can remove the complete printer from the machine and lock it away, get
    him to buy his own cartridge, or buy his own printer, or throw him out. I
    would just keep removing the cartridge when not needed and locking it up
    somewhere, or remove the AC cord from the printer, and lock that up
    somewhere.

    You can install XP-Pro on your machine, and set up a real security level
    that does not allow printing.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg
    ===========


    "happy ex tucker" <> wrote in message
    news:7rhZb.18609$...
    I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
    printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
    there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
    his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
    uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
    he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
    of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
    out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
    leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
    Thanks

    Happy Ex
     
    Jerry G., Feb 20, 2004
    #3
  4. happy ex tucker

    colin Guest

    happy ex tucker <> wrote in message
    news:7rhZb.18609$...
    > I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
    > printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    > year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him.

    Is
    > there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave

    him
    > his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
    > uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
    > he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
    > of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in

    and
    > out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
    > leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place

    soon.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Happy Ex
    >
    >



    1/ setup a boot password, that locks the drive.

    2/ allow the cartridge to run out of ink, and don`t replace it. (may be will
    buy one himself; after waiting you out to buy one)
     
    colin, Feb 20, 2004
    #4
  5. happy ex tucker

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:03:47 GMT, "happy ex tucker" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
    >printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    >year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
    >there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
    >his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
    >uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
    >he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
    >of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
    >out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
    >leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
    >Thanks
    >
    >Happy Ex
    >


    Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
    cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
    connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
    piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
    fix you up.

    Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
    connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
    extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.

    When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
    cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
    other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.

    Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
    able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
    course! lol

    When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
    it with you.

    Good luck.


    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
     
    Trent©, Feb 20, 2004
    #5
  6. happy ex tucker

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Trent© wrote:


    > Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
    > cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
    > connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
    > piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
    > fix you up.
    >
    > Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
    > connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
    > extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
    >
    > When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
    > cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
    > other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
    >
    > Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
    > able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
    > course! lol
    >
    > When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
    > it with you.
    >


    You may want to withdraw that suggestion Trent. It is extremely
    dangerous to have a lead with two male plugs, and probably against all
    wiring codes. (At least in my country)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
     
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 21, 2004
    #6
  7. happy ex tucker

    Robert Baer Guest

    "Trent©" wrote:
    >
    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:03:47 GMT, "happy ex tucker" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
    > >printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    > >year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him. Is
    > >there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave him
    > >his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
    > >uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
    > >he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
    > >of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in and
    > >out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
    > >leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place soon.
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Happy Ex
    > >

    >
    > Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
    > cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
    > connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
    > piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
    > fix you up.
    >
    > Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
    > connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
    > extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
    >
    > When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
    > cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
    > other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
    >
    > Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
    > able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
    > course! lol
    >
    > When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
    > it with you.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent
    >
    > Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!


    Cool suggestion!!!
     
    Robert Baer, Feb 21, 2004
    #7
  8. happy ex tucker

    Robert Baer Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    > Trent© wrote:
    >
    > > Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
    > > cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
    > > connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
    > > piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
    > > fix you up.
    > >
    > > Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
    > > connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
    > > extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
    > >
    > > When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
    > > cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
    > > other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
    > >
    > > Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
    > > able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
    > > course! lol
    > >
    > > When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
    > > it with you.
    > >

    >
    > You may want to withdraw that suggestion Trent. It is extremely
    > dangerous to have a lead with two male plugs, and probably against all
    > wiring codes. (At least in my country)
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus


    Well, if there is a protective shroud around it, then it may be OK in
    some climates...
    An alternate is to use a totally different connector, like what is
    called a "Jones" connector (from Cinch-Jones that has been the primary
    maker of the series).
    See: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/617/727.pdf
     
    Robert Baer, Feb 21, 2004
    #8
  9. happy ex tucker

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >
    >>Trent© wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Make up a small extension cord...to hook onto the end of the power
    >>>cable for the printer...about a foot long. You'll need a male
    >>>connector and a female connector to do this, of course...and a short
    >>>piece of the proper size wire. Any hardware store should be able to
    >>>fix you up.
    >>>
    >>>Cut the end off the power cord of the printer. Install the FEMALE
    >>>connector to the end of the printer cord. Then make up that small
    >>>extension cord...with a MALE connector on each end.
    >>>
    >>>When you want to use the printer, connect one end of the extension
    >>>cord (male) into the female end of the printer cord. Then connect the
    >>>other end of the extension cord (male) into the wall.
    >>>
    >>>Basically, he'll have a FEMALE end on the printer...which he won't be
    >>>able to plug into the wall. Unless HE gets constructive, too, of
    >>>course! lol
    >>>
    >>>When you go to work, simply unplug that small extension cord and take
    >>>it with you.
    >>>

    >>
    >>You may want to withdraw that suggestion Trent. It is extremely
    >>dangerous to have a lead with two male plugs, and probably against all
    >>wiring codes. (At least in my country)
    >>
    >>--
    >>Cheers
    >>Oldus Fartus

    >
    >
    > Well, if there is a protective shroud around it, then it may be OK in
    > some climates...
    > An alternate is to use a totally different connector, like what is
    > called a "Jones" connector (from Cinch-Jones that has been the primary
    > maker of the series).
    > See: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/617/727.pdf


    Of course there is another alternative too, which doesn't seem to have
    occurred to the OP. Just say "Little brother, touch my printer again
    without my permission and I will rip out your testicles."

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
     
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 21, 2004
    #9
  10. happy ex tucker

    Samantha Guest

    Have you tried This....
    Wait till he comes home and when you see him walking up the garden path,
    hide behind the sofa. When he walks in, Stab him in the head with a
    screwdriver. Drag his still alive ass up to the printer and say "Touch it
    again you Pr*ck and you'll get some f*ckin' more! Ya Hear!!!!!!" That should
    solve the problem on a more long term basis. (Buy XP Pro!!! Why the F*ck
    should you have too!"

    Samantha

    "happy ex tucker" <> wrote in message
    news:7rhZb.18609$...
    > I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use my
    > printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    > year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him.

    Is
    > there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave

    him
    > his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he just
    > uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever many
    > he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50 copies
    > of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in

    and
    > out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time I
    > leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place

    soon.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Happy Ex
    >
    >
     
    Samantha, Feb 21, 2004
    #10
  11. happy ex tucker

    Thor Guest

    Sam, you need to seek out some anger management therapy. ;-)


    "Samantha" <> wrote in message
    news:QBJZb.4270$...
    > Have you tried This....
    > Wait till he comes home and when you see him walking up the garden path,
    > hide behind the sofa. When he walks in, Stab him in the head with a
    > screwdriver. Drag his still alive ass up to the printer and say "Touch it
    > again you Pr*ck and you'll get some f*ckin' more! Ya Hear!!!!!!" That

    should
    > solve the problem on a more long term basis. (Buy XP Pro!!! Why the F*ck
    > should you have too!"
    >
    > Samantha
    >
    > "happy ex tucker" <> wrote in message
    > news:7rhZb.18609$...
    > > I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use

    my
    > > printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge a
    > > year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with him.

    > Is
    > > there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I gave

    > him
    > > his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he

    just
    > > uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever

    many
    > > he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50

    copies
    > > of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges in

    > and
    > > out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every time

    I
    > > leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place

    > soon.
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Happy Ex
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
    Thor, Feb 21, 2004
    #11
  12. Well I want to thank you for all your suggestions. I can't kick him out
    because it's his house. His wife died in a car accident and he's been
    having a hard time making his mortgage payments and I felt sorry for him at
    first so that why I gave him his own I.D. so he could use the comp anytime.
    He's my older brother and is 50. He was a widower at the age of 46. He has
    a nice house. I can put my car in the garage and have a nice big bedroom ,
    he let me have the master w/the bathroom and there is a swimming pool and
    best of all no lease. I pay him $500 a month and half the utilities. It's
    cheaper than an apt and better than an apt. Other than the comp we get
    along just fine. So I was talking to my parents about it and Dad said I'll
    take care of that. He's here right now installing a new deadbolt lock on my
    bedroom door! And I forgot I had an old computer that is fine for surfing
    the internet and he has a printer, monitor, keyboard and mouse so I told him
    he could have my old comp and print to his hearts delight. That seemed to
    satisfy him until he thought about how he'd have to pay for a internet
    provider and he could not afford that. I gave him a free 30 day trial for
    earthlink and then told him he could go to walmart and get a provider for
    about $10 a month. Then he complained he didn't have a desk, well I have a
    nice desk I bought close to 10 years ago that weighs about 400 lbs and a old
    chair I no longer use and said he could have it also. So I think the
    problem is solved. If he wants to upgrade the comp I told him I could do it
    if he bought the parts. But like I said I'm getting a good deal living here
    and he's had a rough time losing his wife and I've had a happy time getting
    rid of my husband..LOL. And I do have a laptop with windows xp professional
    that I can put out in the living room and give him an I.d. on but it's
    broken now so when I get that fixed I can block him from printing and he can
    use my DSL connection and forward any links he wants to print to his
    address. His last complaint was Dad happily drilling a hole in the door. I
    said if that's such a problem I'll just rent an apt and you won't get my
    rent money, computer, chair or desk. He shut right up and walked away. And
    I'm working on finding him a nice lady to hook up with. I figure he'll lose
    all interest in the comp if that happens. Thanks for all your ideas, you
    folks have a nice group here.

    happy ex
    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sam, you need to seek out some anger management therapy. ;-)
    >
    >
    > "Samantha" <> wrote in message
    > news:QBJZb.4270$...
    > > Have you tried This....
    > > Wait till he comes home and when you see him walking up the garden path,
    > > hide behind the sofa. When he walks in, Stab him in the head with a
    > > screwdriver. Drag his still alive ass up to the printer and say "Touch

    it
    > > again you Pr*ck and you'll get some f*ckin' more! Ya Hear!!!!!!" That

    > should
    > > solve the problem on a more long term basis. (Buy XP Pro!!! Why the F*ck
    > > should you have too!"
    > >
    > > Samantha
    > >
    > > "happy ex tucker" <> wrote in message
    > > news:7rhZb.18609$...
    > > > I'm sharing a place with my brother. He's a nice guy but loves to use

    > my
    > > > printer,copier...all in one machine. I normally use 1 black cartridge

    a
    > > > year. I've had to replace one a month since I've been living with

    him.
    > > Is
    > > > there any way I can block anyone from using my printer. At first I

    gave
    > > him
    > > > his own id on my windows xp, learned quickly to delete that. Now he

    > just
    > > > uses someone elses comp prints one and comes home and prints how ever

    > many
    > > > he wants. I work all day long and when I come home he's printed 50

    > copies
    > > > of things using just my printer. It's a hassle taking the cartridges

    in
    > > and
    > > > out and taking the cable apart and taking half of it with me every

    time
    > I
    > > > leave the house. I'd appreciate any help and I'm getting my own place

    > > soon.
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Happy Ex
    > > >
    > > >

    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
    happy ex tucker, Feb 21, 2004
    #12
  13. happy ex tucker

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:56:26 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >You may want to withdraw that suggestion Trent. It is extremely
    >dangerous to have a lead with two male plugs, and probably against all
    >wiring codes. (At least in my country)


    Actually, yer probably right!

    Suggestion retracted.


    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
     
    Trent©, Feb 22, 2004
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Daveyboy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    720
  2. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    553
    David Hemingsley
    Oct 31, 2004
  3. Ditto21
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    532
    Blinky the Shark
    Feb 18, 2006
  4. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    624
  5. comsciepartner
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    856
    comsciepartner
    Oct 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page