    The IP address it came from is 68.85.208.116

    Is this a dangerous or harmless attempt?

    Thanks!
    Julie P., Mar 16, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    cluedweasel Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:10:01 -0500, "Julie P."
    <> wrote:

    >I just installed Panda AV Firewall.
    >
    >It just said it has blocked an intrusion attempt against my computer:
    >
    >Attack type: Port scan
    >
    >The IP address it came from is 68.85.208.116
    >
    >Is this a dangerous or harmless attempt?

    It's from Comcast, the same ISP as yours. I wouldn't worry about port
    scans. My Linux server gets around 60 a day.
    cluedweasel, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "cluedweasel" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:10:01 -0500, "Julie P."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just installed Panda AV Firewall.
    >>
    >>It just said it has blocked an intrusion attempt against my computer:
    >>
    >>Attack type: Port scan
    >>
    >>The IP address it came from is 68.85.208.116
    >>
    >>Is this a dangerous or harmless attempt?
    >>

    > It's from Comcast, the same ISP as yours. I wouldn't worry about port
    > scans. My Linux server gets around 60 a day.

    thanks so much clued!
    Julie P., Mar 16, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Julie P." wrote in message news:

    > The IP address it came from is 68.85.208.116

    Put this site in your favorites... http://www.dnsstuff.com/

    A quick IP WHOIS lookup gives this...

    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=!NET-68-85-208-0-1&server=whois.arin.net

    Which is COMCAST in Baltimore
    Dave Lear, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." wrote in message news:
    >
    >> The IP address it came from is 68.85.208.116

    > Put this site in your favorites... http://www.dnsstuff.com/
    >
    > A quick IP WHOIS lookup gives this...
    >
    > http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=!NET-68-85-208-0-1&server=whois.arin.net
    >
    > Which is COMCAST in Baltimore

    Thanks David! I have bookmarked that site.

    J.

    Julie P., Mar 16, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > I just installed Panda AV Firewall.
    > It just said it has blocked an intrusion attempt against my computer:
    > Attack type: Port scan
    > The IP address it came from is 68.85.208.116
    > Is this a dangerous or harmless attempt?

    Who cares? Just let it do its job and turn off the alerts.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >>
    >> I just installed Panda AV Firewall.
    >> It just said it has blocked an intrusion attempt against my computer:
    >> Attack type: Port scan
    >> The IP address it came from is 68.85.208.116
    >> Is this a dangerous or harmless attempt?

    > Who cares? Just let it do its job and turn off the alerts.

    I thought it might be an authorized contact from Comcast. I don't want to
    turn alerts off, as I need to be able to manually allow authorized
    connections, such as when I try to FTP.
    Julie P., Mar 17, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Plato Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > >> Is this a dangerous or harmless attempt?

    > > Who cares? Just let it do its job and turn off the alerts.

    > I thought it might be an authorized contact from Comcast. I don't want to
    > turn alerts off, as I need to be able to manually allow authorized
    > connections, such as when I try to FTP.

    Okey dokey.
    Plato, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    pondus

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Are you seriously recommending a WEBSITE for finding ip details?
    Doing a dns check is easiest by opening up cmd.exe and type in
    "nslookup <domain>" like for instance "nslookup velocityreviews.com"
    (of course without the qoutes..) This tells you the ip.
    You can also do this with IP instead of DOMAIN, and can se what ISP for instance.
    pondus, Mar 2, 2013