    Hard drive test: funnel seek - Cannot run Hard drive
    test: surface scan- Cannot run
    Internal error: could not obtain drive size parmeters. What should I do?
    Kenneth C., Jun 30, 2003

  2. Kenneth C.

    °Mike° Guest

    The hard drive is toast. Send it back for replacement.

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:23:40 GMT, in
    <wiMLa.18154$>
    Kenneth C. scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Kenneth C.

    Guest

    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@xyz.com> wrote in message news:<OqNLa.55033$Bg.33451@rwcrnsc54>...
    > Under warranty? Take it back if feasible.
    >
    > "Kenneth C." <> wrote in message
    > > I recently bought a Hewlett Packard media center computer with a 120 gig.
    > > hard drive. I've been having problems with it re-booting for no apparent
    > > reason. I ran the diagnostic program, PC Doctor, that came with the
    > > computer. Everything tested well except the hard drive, which gave the
    > > following result:
    > > Hard drive test: funnel seek - Cannot run Hard drive
    > > test: surface scan- Cannot run
    > > Internal error: could not obtain drive size parmeters. What should I do?

    Hi,

    I suggest you to run through scan option from windows or through any
    other tools. If the Hard drive is replaced its well.

    Also please check for the Cpu Fan, since excess heat can reboot
    system(first check the bios settings for temperature settings ).

    Thak you.

    Suraj
    , Jun 30, 2003
  4. Kenneth C.

    Plato Guest

    Kenneth C. wrote:

    > I recently bought a Hewlett Packard media center computer with a 120 gig.
    > hard drive. I've been having problems with it re-booting for no apparent
    > reason. I ran the diagnostic program, PC Doctor, that came with the

    It's hard to trust that diag program, PC Doctor, whatever that is. It
    may not be able to run correctly with your 49 HP supplied background
    programs running. Anyway, if your HP was doing that BEFORE you installed
    all your old stuff it's NOT their problem. If it happend upon delivery
    then return it and cancel your charge.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Kenneth C.

    Plato Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > The hard drive is toast. Send it back for replacement.

    Not necessarily. You cant properly test a hard drive whist in windows.
    ie the same way you cant properly test ram whilst in windows.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 30, 2003
  6. Kenneth C.

    °Mike° Guest

    On 30 Jun 2003 01:21:06 -0500, in
    <3effd63c$0$33319$>
    Plato scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >> The hard drive is toast. Send it back for replacement.

    >Not necessarily. You cant properly test a hard drive whist in windows.
    >ie the same way you cant properly test ram whilst in windows.

    The 'PC Doctor' that I know has been around for years, performs
    low-level diagnostics, and is DOS based. Even if there is a
    Windows version, diagnostics programs of that calibre take
    COMPLETE control of the system, and if it reported errors that
    the OP quoted, I would put money on the drive being toast.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2003
  7. Kenneth C.

    Plato Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > >> The hard drive is toast. Send it back for replacement.

    > >Not necessarily. You cant properly test a hard drive whist in windows.
    > >ie the same way you cant properly test ram whilst in windows.

    > The 'PC Doctor' that I know has been around for years, performs
    > low-level diagnostics, and is DOS based. Even if there is a
    > Windows version, diagnostics programs of that calibre take
    > COMPLETE control of the system, and if it reported errors that
    > the OP quoted, I would put money on the drive being toast.

    OK If its the same "PC doctor" you know that's dos based, then I have no
    argument.
    Plato, Jun 30, 2003
  8. Kenneth C.

    DrZonk Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:23:40 GMT, "Kenneth C." <>
    scribbled the following:

    >I recently bought a Hewlett Packard media center computer with a 120 gig.
    >hard drive. I've been having problems with it re-booting for no apparent
    >reason. I ran the diagnostic program, PC Doctor, that came with the
    >computer. Everything tested well except the hard drive, which gave the
    >following result:
    > Hard drive test: funnel seek - Cannot run Hard drive
    >test: surface scan- Cannot run
    >Internal error: could not obtain drive size parmeters. What should I do?

    You bought a piece of junk. Stay away from HP as they make the worst
    piece of shit computers in the world. Those POS computers are the
    Pavilion line which are put together with cheap parts and you get what
    you pay for.

    Try complaining to HP about it, they will just tell you to STFU and go
    away as they do not want to deal with customers who buy their POS
    computers.

    Tech Support is crap. Calling them for help is expensive as they don't
    give out free advice anymore to anyone who wants to figure out what to
    do to make their computer run correctly. They charge people $25
    dollars a phone call.

    DrZonk
    DrZonk, Jun 30, 2003
  9. Kenneth C.

    DrZonk Guest

    On 30 Jun 2003 01:20:09 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> scribbled the following:

    >ps the first thing to do with any HP is to diss all the crap they get
    >paid to have you run on startup.

    You know what bugs me the most? When customers are told to send their
    HP Pavilion back, they would lose all their important stuff. They
    cannot even save it on a CDRW or CDR. Then customers get their
    computer back, but the computer they get is worst than the one they
    had because HP sends them refurbished computers with more crappier
    shit in it. I found that out in the comp.sys.hp.hardware newsgroup.

    DrZonk
    DrZonk, Jun 30, 2003
  10. Kenneth C.

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Jun 30, 2003
  11. Kenneth C.

    Clarke Rice Guest

    DrZonk <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:23:40 GMT, "Kenneth C." <>
    > scribbled the following:
    >
    >>I recently bought a Hewlett Packard media center computer with a 120 gig.
    >>hard drive. I've been having problems with it re-booting for no apparent
    >>reason. I ran the diagnostic program, PC Doctor, that came with the
    >>computer. Everything tested well except the hard drive, which gave the
    >>following result:
    >> Hard drive test: funnel seek - Cannot run Hard drive
    >>test: surface scan- Cannot run
    >>Internal error: could not obtain drive size parmeters. What should I do?

    > You bought a piece of junk. Stay away from HP as they make the worst
    > piece of shit computers in the world. Those POS computers are the

    [snip]

    Yes, I think Kenneth realises the computer is not very good and probably
    doesn't need to be told, or to read your rant on HP either.

    Maybe he wants something more constructive?

    Sounds to me like the BIOS can't figure out the size of the Hard Disk -
    either because it's an old BIOS or because the disk is knackered. Or
    possibly a whole host of problems that boil down to a badly configured
    machine.

    If you are feeling adventerous you could boot off the CD, format the hard
    drive and reinstall everything - though this is risky and based on the
    error you describe, may not be a cure. It would, however get you to the
    root of the problem - BIOS being silly and you'll get nowhere; OS being
    silly - and problem sorted.

    Or, and what may be the less-hassle option - go back to the shop, wave the
    warranty at them, act dumb, mutter something about "not fit for purpose -
    Sale of Goods Act", walk out with it either sorted on the spot by them, or
    your cash back in your pocket.

    hth

    cr
    Clarke Rice, Jun 30, 2003