Can anyone confirm?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Kouros, Jul 31, 2005.

  1. Kouros

    Kouros Guest

    Tried to post this earlier, but it seems to have vanished into the
    ether. If it shows up twice, sorry!

    Anyway...

    I've just tried to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool at

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx#run

    on my XP box. Needless to say, it didn't work.

    As far as I can tell the only reason it was preventing me from using it
    was because I was using Firefox (having tried a variety of settings).

    Anyone else had a similar experience, and any suggestions why it would
    be blocking me... or is this just an attempt by MS to encourage people
    back to IE by careful wording and subtle digs at a rival browser?

    For what it's worth, I tried the same using IE6 with everything turned
    right up to paranoid, down to naive and everything inbetween. Worked
    fine. Oddness.

    Kouros, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Kouros

    Doug G Guest

    Kouros wrote:
    > Tried to post this earlier, but it seems to have vanished into the
    > ether. If it shows up twice, sorry!
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > I've just tried to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool at
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx#run
    >
    > on my XP box. Needless to say, it didn't work.
    >
    > As far as I can tell the only reason it was preventing me from using it
    > was because I was using Firefox (having tried a variety of settings).
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar experience, and any suggestions why it would
    > be blocking me... or is this just an attempt by MS to encourage people
    > back to IE by careful wording and subtle digs at a rival browser?
    >
    > For what it's worth, I tried the same using IE6 with everything turned
    > right up to paranoid, down to naive and everything inbetween. Worked
    > fine. Oddness.

    I guess MS wants people to use IE.

    I run the program whenever XP downloads automatic updates.

    Doug G, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Kouros

    Colyn Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:14:04 +0100, Kouros <> wrote:

    >I've just tried to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool at
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx#run
    >
    >on my XP box. Needless to say, it didn't work.
    >
    >As far as I can tell the only reason it was preventing me from using it
    >was because I was using Firefox (having tried a variety of settings).
    >
    >Anyone else had a similar experience, and any suggestions why it would
    >be blocking me... or is this just an attempt by MS to encourage people
    >back to IE by careful wording and subtle digs at a rival browser?
    >
    >For what it's worth, I tried the same using IE6 with everything turned
    >right up to paranoid, down to naive and everything inbetween. Worked
    >fine. Oddness.

    Pretty much anything you do at the microsoft site except browse has to
    be done with IE.

    It's their way of forcing us to use IE.

    --
    Colyn Goodson

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    Colyn, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Kouros

    Kouros Guest

    Colyn wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:14:04 +0100, Kouros <> wrote:

    > Pretty much anything you do at the microsoft site except browse has to
    > be done with IE.
    >
    > It's their way of forcing us to use IE.

    Figured it would be, but just surprised they didn't just say it, rather
    than mumbling something about security settings.

    Kouros, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Kouros

    Jim Thompson Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:25:33 +0100, Kouros <> wrote:

    >Colyn wrote:
    >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:14:04 +0100, Kouros <> wrote:

    >> Pretty much anything you do at the microsoft site except browse has to
    >> be done with IE.
    >>
    >> It's their way of forcing us to use IE.

    >Figured it would be, but just surprised they didn't just say it, rather
    >than mumbling something about security settings.

    I just ran into that while reinstalling NAV... wouldn't play with
    FireFox... had to switch to IE :-(

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |