can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard drive ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by geoffers17, Mar 4, 2009.

  1. geoffers17

    geoffers17 Guest

    hi to all,im new to news group but am hopefull that someone out there can
    help with my problem.
    just over three months ago i decided to build myself a second desktop pc as
    my existing one was starting to get a little tired. i work with cad and
    decided to go with xp pro x64 due to it's ram capabilities. my system
    hardware list is as follows,
    amd phenom 9950 black edition (UNCLOCKED)
    gigabyte ga-m750sli-ds4 mobo
    4gb kingston 800/1066 mhz ddrII ram
    nvidia geforce 9500gt super+1gb graphics card
    western digital caviar green 1tb sata II (WD10EAVS) hard drive
    850w power supply
    when i first setup and ran the system ran well, no problems and really
    quick. however after three months of problem free computing i suddenly have
    myself a big problem.(no new software etc' had been added)
    on trying to turn on my machine on day i was confronted with a message
    saying system boot failure please insert system disc. i tried to re-boot
    using last known good config but still had same error. the only way around
    the problem was to re-format the hard drive.
    when re-installing windows, the hard drive was listed as unpartitioned (RAW)
    which i thought was very strange but the format process went well and i was
    up and running once again, if only for a few days ! i have been through this
    same proceedure around 8 times now but can't ge the pc to run for more than a
    few days, or even a few hours on two occasions.
    i suspected the hard drive to be at fault although all components are brand
    new. i have replaced sata cable but found no difference apart from now the
    hard disc is becoming troublesome even to format ! i had a very old eide hdd
    that i tested in the system and it worked fine but it's only a 4gig one so
    it's of no use.
    western digital has a drive test utility that i managed to run that says
    that the disc is fine but also state that it isn't for use with 64bit o/s so
    don't know if it can be trusted.
    would i be right in thinking that the hard drive is almost dead even though
    their utility says it's ok? or does anybody out there have any other ideas ?
    would be most greatful if anyone can help me as i'm at my whits end !
    many thanks in advance, Geoff.

    geoffers17, Mar 4, 2009

  2. Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard drive?

    If you read the literature and the information on the web site you
    should note that this is not recommended as an internal system drive.
    Western digital specifies it's targeted for External use.

    "Perfect for external drives — External drive manufacturers can
    eliminate the need for a fan in a high-capacity product with a WD Caviar
    Green drive, the coolest and quietest in its class."

    So, the drive may not be bad, but you have it installed in the wrong
    place and I would recommend purchasing a drive that is intended for
    internal use and as a system drive.

    Bobby Johnson, Mar 4, 2009

  3. geoffers17

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I am using one of these drives in my Windows Home Server. Bobby quotes a
    section from the drive's pages on the Western Digital site. Also, on this
    same page,
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=336

    "As hard drive capacities increase, the power required to run those drives
    increases as well. WD Caviar Green drives make it possible for
    energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the
    right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy
    conservation...."

    and

    "Helps enable eco-friendly PCs - WD Caviar Green drives yield an average
    drive power savings of 4-5 watts over standard desktop drives making it
    possible for our energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher
    capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability,
    and energy conservation...."

    So, it would seem that the drive's suitability for use in external
    enclosures does nothing to disqualify it for use in the main case. Indeed,
    the principal characteristic of this drive series, its lower heat
    production, is an advantage wherever it is used.

    I must say, I am mystified by the reference to unsuitability for use with 64
    bit OS. Could you please give any exact message and elaborate, if you can,
    with more detail.

    At a guess, this seems like a drive controller problem. Have you tried it on
    another system?
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 4, 2009
  4. geoffers17

    Carlos Guest

    Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard dri

    Bobby,
    The documentation says it is recommended for both internal (a.k.a. "PC") and
    external use.
    So the OP is not to blame for using it inside as it is Ok.
    Regardless of what the diagnostic is saying I would highly suspect on
    hardware (disk) failure and would not keep saving important data in it.
    My experience with WD disks along the years has been quite satisfying and
    have never had any failure with this brand.
    What baffles me is the message that it is not 64-bit compatible.
    Hard disks know nothing about that and can be used regardless of the
    "bitness" of the OS.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 4, 2009
  5. Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard drive?

    The Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools for Windows will be for 32-bit
    Windows only. You should use the DOS version, which runs at boot before
    Windows loads.

    If the DOS version says the drive is OK, you should have the motherboard
    checked as the problem could be the disk controller, crosstalk in the
    data channels or other fault on the motherboard. Another possibility is
    a drive firmware incompatibility with the board, but there do not seem
    to be any reports of this.

    There is a recent BIOS update for the board and an undocumented fix in
    this might help.

    Are you satisfied that the PSU, memory - run memtest - and graphics
    card - check if the problem exists if you use the onboard graphics -
    have not developed any faults? Are any problems reported in Windows
    System Event Viewer?

    Are you using the drivers from
    http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2819#anchor_os
    ?

    Dominic Payer, Mar 4, 2009
  6. geoffers17

    Graham Guest

    Carlos wrote:
    > What baffles me is the message that it is not 64-bit compatible.

    At a guess, he's running it from within Windows x64, so it might care -
    or at least think it cares.

    Graham, Mar 5, 2009
  7. geoffers17

    XS11E Guest

    Carlos <> wrote:

    > data in it. My experience with WD disks along the years has been
    > quite satisfying

    I have quite a stack of dead WD disks accumulated over several years,
    none of which lived over two years.

    I won't buy WD again, ever.

    FWIW, I've never had a failure on a HD other than WD.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Mar 5, 2009
  8. geoffers17

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard dri

    The relative merits of various makes and models of HDs is somerthing that
    has been, and again could be, debated for years.

    I have had drives from every source fail over the years. In the recent past,
    I have RMAd three Seagate units. In fact, there is a replacement drive
    coming to me from Seagate as I keyboard this. In fact, it is a replacement
    for a replacement. The fact that I am replacing Seagates does not surprise
    me since theat is the only thing I had been purchasing for about four years.
    I have recently gotten a few WDs. I'll see how that goes but I expect no
    great change in failure rates.

    As always, YMMD.

    You might find this article interesting.
    "Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population"
    Appears in the Proceedings of the 5th USENIX Conference on File and Storage
    Technologies (FAST'07), February 2007

    Eduardo Pinheiro, Wolf-Dietrich Weber and Luiz Andr´e Barroso
    Google Inc.
    1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy
    Mountain View, CA 94043

    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 5, 2009
  9. geoffers17

    Robert Wolfe Guest

    XS11E wrote:

    > Carlos <> wrote:
    >

    >> data in it. My experience with WD disks along the years has been
    >> quite satisfying

    > I have quite a stack of dead WD disks accumulated over several years,
    > none of which lived over two years.
    >
    > I won't buy WD again, ever.
    >
    > FWIW, I've never had a failure on a HD other than WD.

    I've always had bad luck with Maxtor brand hard drives myself.

    Robert Wolfe, Mar 5, 2009
  10. geoffers17

    Carlos Guest

    Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard dri

    Let's hope the upcoming Solid State Disks (SSD) will bring peace to this
    discussion and mechanincal disks become part of museums.
    Hard disks are like women, it is just a matter of personal preference, look,
    appeal, experience and how fast they can spin.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 6, 2009
  11. geoffers17

    Dennis Pack Guest

    OT Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard dri

    Carlos:
    Welcome back from vacation. I will wager that the vacation was too
    short.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win7

    Dennis Pack, Mar 6, 2009
  12. geoffers17

    Carlos Guest

    RE: OT Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard

    Hi Dennis,
    Vacations were three weeks long and I enjoyed it very much.
    Problem is that my brain is still on vacation, as if it still were wearing
    the swimsuit and thongs.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 6, 2009
  13. geoffers17

    geoffers17 Guest

    Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard dri

    hi tom, sorry if my explanation was a little missleading. i was trying to say
    that western digitals disk test utility is not compatible with 64 bit os and
    even though it ran on the drive i couldn't be sure of the result.
    i apreciate what you say but i have connected a second old drive and this
    works fine only its 4gb size makes it useless. i just wanted to know if the
    western digital drive was dead as it is still under warranty.
    many thanks, Geoff

    geoffers17, Mar 6, 2009
  14. geoffers17

    geoffers17 Guest

    Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard dri

    hi Dominic,i am using the dvi socket on the graphics card, i have all drivers
    installed from gigabyte instalation cd, windows event viewer showed no errors
    the last time i had the system running and western digital's data lifeguard
    tool won't run on my system as it is a 64-bit machine, or this is what i'm
    led to believe by WD. When i did try to run the dos version all it did was
    detect my rom drives.
    the new bios update is full of holes or so a lot of people have said on the
    forums so i was a little bit worried about using it as so many have had
    system failures after the update.
    thanks for your help,Geoff.

    geoffers17, Mar 6, 2009
  15. geoffers17

    geoffers17 Guest

    Re: can anybody offer advice over suspect western digital hard dri

    hi graham, sorry if my listing was missleading, meant to say western digitals
    data lifeguard utility is not compatible with 64 bit os.
    cheers, Geoff.

    geoffers17, Mar 6, 2009