    Would the computer figure out that something has been reversed and
    compensate?

    , Sep 7, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a tiny camera with a usb mini b output.
    >
    > I think the plug itself could support the weight of the camera, so I
    > don't need a cord or anything to plug it into my laptop.
    >
    > What would happen if I was to plug one end of this adapter into my
    > camera and the other end directly into the computer's usb connection?
    >
    > http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/action/prodspec/itemID/178600
    >
    > Would the computer figure out that something has been reversed and
    > compensate?

    If you are planning to purchase this plug from GraphicIce.com, you must
    have noted the text on their page saying:

    "Please be aware of our $150 minimum order policy."

    Regardless, connecting as follows; camera > plug > computer - should
    net the same results you would experience if you had a mini b extension
    cable for your camera.

    Good luck.

    , Sep 7, 2006

  3. MrB Guest

    I would not recommend such a rigid connection between the two.

    MrB, Sep 7, 2006
  4. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > I have a tiny camera with a usb mini b output.
    >
    > I think the plug itself could support the weight of the
    > camera, so I don't need a cord or anything to plug it into
    > my laptop.
    >
    > What would happen if I was to plug one end of this adapter
    > into my camera and the other end directly into the
    > computer's usb connection?
    >
    > http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/action/prodspec/itemID/1
    > 78600
    >
    > Would the computer figure out that something has been
    > reversed and compensate?

    Regardless of the SPECIFIC nature of your question, there are
    some basic rules which should be followed ALWAYS.

    One of them is "do not connect anything by their plugs without
    cables in between". (There ARE some exceptions, like a 2 oz.
    nightlight, but let's not get into that, OK?)

    (In this case, plug, outlet, connection, male, female, two
    prong, ten prong, etc., all mean the same, whether RS-232, USB,
    220VAC, BNC, or whatever.)

    IOW, do not place the entire weight of ANYTHING on the
    connection.

    Besides, I will bet a hundred bucks you would drop the
    contraption within five minutes of attempting to use it. Could
    cost you a little more than a two foot USB cable and a small
    roll of pro gaffer tape.

    BTW, anyone ever ask themselves why there are no shoulder/neck
    straps for laptops?

    thanatoid, Sep 7, 2006
  5. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a tiny camera with a usb mini b output.
    >
    > I think the plug itself could support the weight of the camera, so I
    > don't need a cord or anything to plug it into my laptop.
    >
    > What would happen if I was to plug one end of this adapter into my
    > camera and the other end directly into the computer's usb connection?
    >
    > http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/action/prodspec/itemID/178600
    >
    > Would the computer figure out that something has been reversed and
    > compensate?

    The Adaptor is nothing more than a normal cord with out the cord part.
    As such it will do exactly the same job.

    However as sure as the good Lord made little green apples, leaving something
    sticking out of a PC like that, it is going to get wiped off by some one or
    something.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Sep 7, 2006
  6. JANA Guest

    The adaptor should work. But, it is not good for the connector's circuit
    connections on the mother board to have the weight of the camera on it. In
    the short future, this may lead to some repairs of the circuit board.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Sep 7, 2006