    and what the Sunpak 555 puts out regarding those surges?

    TIA

    -Jeff
    Jeff, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Jeff

    Charlie Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:09:57 -0400, Jeff <> wrote:

    >I just bought a G3 (my first digital). The internal flash is very weak
    >and I want to use an external flash.
    >If I use my Sunpak 555 w/ a the Canon module will it damage the G3?
    >I have heard about external flashes sending large surges to the
    >hotshoe of electronic cameras and damaging them.
    >Is there specs of what the G3 can handle (it dosn't say in the manual)
    >and what the Sunpak 555 puts out regarding those surges?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >-Jeff

    Jeff,

    There's a great web site that covers these questions at
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/G1strobe.html

    Read what they have to say, then go to this page
    http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    and see the rating for the Sunpak 555. It ends up as a "it's probably
    OK". But why not get a Canon 420EX and be safe AND fully automatic?
    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir
    If you really want to reply via email, my valid
    Charlie, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Jeff

    Greg King Guest

    I use a Sunpak 622 with all my Canon SLR's up to and including the D60
    and 10D. I prefer the exposure determined by the Sunpak sensor over
    the Canon TTL (I also have a Canon 550EX Speedlight.)

    Greg

    Greg King, Aug 17, 2003