    normal.
    The speakers work as I have tried them on another computer.
    J-McC

    J-McC, May 1, 2007

  2. J-McC wrote:
    > I have a client who is using windows SBS2003 as a server and as a
    > desktop computer. Really it is a waste of powerfull computer the way
    > it is setup. I installed the sound card (a PCI excel one) and the
    > installation went smoothely but I am unable to hear any sound. I have
    > setup the sound for 2 channel and am using amplified (Powered)
    > speakers. I realise that adding a sound card to a server is unusual
    > but I get no yellow errors in device manager, infact everything seams
    > normal.
    > The speakers work as I have tried them on another computer.
    > J-McC

    Since you have them installed and no problems in Device Manager,
    everything else has been tested, it would seem to be a settings problem.
    Or, are they plugged in? Silly question, but you'd be surprised.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 1, 2007

  3. using the server as a workstation is not supported or recommended
    By all accounts it should work assuming there are no conflicts with other
    hardware.

    You could try a different PCI slot

    --
    Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
    Microsoft MVPs

    Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP], May 1, 2007
  4. J-McC

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > using the server as a workstation is not supported or recommended

    Agreed! One user f***up and the whole system goes down the toilet.

    At one location I work for, they have TWO servers in an office with three
    users. Sure, it looks like a lot of redundant hardware and wasted processor
    power. But it's still not a good idea to use it as a workstation.

    WhzzKdd, May 1, 2007
  5. J-McC

    J-McC Guest

    The server is a DELL SC1420 it only had one pci slot and 3 pci-x
    (100mhz slots)
    I have searched for the answer to this on both the DELL website,
    server is SC1420 running SBS2003, and the Microsoft Knowledge base and
    there is so little info that I do not think it is very encouraging. I
    Have searched both the SBS2003 bible (no sound mentioned) and the
    Windows XP Bible and yes a few references to sound, so I think it is
    maybe a no no with SBS2003.
    The card is an Audio Excel (Common card pci) .
    Any help much appreciated, TIA
    J-McC

    J-McC, May 2, 2007
  6. J-McC