    PAL DVD on an NTSC DVD player?

    Don

    , Jul 2, 2004

  2. Dogbert Guest

    Probably not. however, the problem is, PAL uses different video timing than
    NTSC. Your player would try to output PAL as NTSC and you would garbage on
    your screen, if anything at all. However, as long as the region code is
    correct, it should play on your computer.

    The biggest problem you will have is, if the DVD is in PAL format, it is
    probably not region 1, which means, unless you have unlocked your DVD
    player, the player won't run it anyway.

    I went out and bought an inexpensive (around $80) Sanpo DVD player that runs
    PAL or NTSC (converts to NTSC automatically) and can be easily set to Region
    0. So, now I can run any DVD from anywhere on my NTSC TV. Only problem is,
    it doesn't have stereo output.

    Dogbert, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:11:33 GMT, wrote:

    >I was told it could not, but are there codes one can key in to play a
    >PAL DVD on an NTSC DVD player?

    Don't all players play both?

    >Don

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:00:32 GMT, "Dogbert" <> wrote:

    >Probably not. however, the problem is, PAL uses different video timing than
    >NTSC. Your player would try to output PAL as NTSC and you would garbage on
    >your screen, if anything at all. However, as long as the region code is
    >correct, it should play on your computer.
    >
    >The biggest problem you will have is, if the DVD is in PAL format, it is
    >probably not region 1, which means, unless you have unlocked your DVD
    >player, the player won't run it anyway.
    >
    >I went out and bought an inexpensive (around $80) Sanpo DVD player that runs
    >PAL or NTSC (converts to NTSC automatically) and can be easily set to Region
    >0. So, now I can run any DVD from anywhere on my NTSC TV. Only problem is,
    >it doesn't have stereo output.

    My player plays both ntsc and pal DVDs and outputs in either pal or ntsc.

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I was told it could not, but are there codes one can key in to play a
    >> PAL DVD on an NTSC DVD player?
    >>
    >> Don

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jul 3, 2004
  5. Nic Guest

    "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:11:33 GMT, wrote:
    >
    > >I was told it could not, but are there codes one can key in to play a
    > >PAL DVD on an NTSC DVD player?

    > Don't all players play both?

    Probably not if it is a NTSC player. Very few can do PAL. Sampo is one
    that can.

    Nic, Jul 3, 2004
  6. >
    >Probably not if it is a NTSC player. Very few can do PAL. Sampo is one
    >that can.

    The Philips 825 dvd player can play both ntsc and pal. It says so right in the
    instructions. Plus it also says it on the front of it, although the
    insstruction manual is more detailed.

    However,even though it plays pal dvd's, you STILL can NOT watch a Pal dvd on
    it on a U.S. tv since U.S. tv sets are only ntssc.

    I get a black and white vertically rolling picture when I tried.

    It is torally impossible to find a U.S. tv set that can do Pal at any
    consumer-level prices.

    Waterperson77, Jul 3, 2004
  7. Nelson Lee Guest

    "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message

    > >Probably not if it is a NTSC player. Very few can do PAL. Sampo is one
    > >that can.
    > >

    > The Philips 825 dvd player can play both ntsc and pal. It says so right in

    the
    > instructions. Plus it also says it on the front of it, although the
    > insstruction manual is more detailed.
    >
    > However,even though it plays pal dvd's, you STILL can NOT watch a Pal dvd

    on
    > it on a U.S. tv since U.S. tv sets are only ntssc.
    >
    > I get a black and white vertically rolling picture when I tried.
    >
    > It is torally impossible to find a U.S. tv set that can do Pal at any
    > consumer-level prices.

    Most JVC DVD players can play PAL DVD to a NTSC TV. Mine certainly does.

    Nelson Lee, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Richard C. Guest

    "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    : >
    :
    : The Philips 825 dvd player can play both ntsc and pal. It says so
    right in the
    : instructions. Plus it also says it on the front of it, although the
    : insstruction manual is more detailed.
    :
    : However,even though it plays pal dvd's, you STILL can NOT watch a Pal
    dvd on
    : it on a U.S. tv since U.S. tv sets are only ntssc.
    :
    : I get a black and white vertically rolling picture when I tried.
    :
    : It is torally impossible to find a U.S. tv set that can do Pal at any
    : consumer-level prices.
    :
    ============
    But it is NOT impossible to find a DVD player that plays PAL and outputs
    NTSC.
    The Cyberhome $40 player does it.
    It also can be set region free.
    ===============

    Richard C., Jul 4, 2004
  9. >But it is NOT impossible to find a DVD player that plays PAL and outputs
    >NTSC.

    once again, the Philips 825 dvd player claims that it plays Pal and outputs
    NTSC,(it says that in the instructions) both of which I have personally
    verified as true. However, it is STILL not watchable on a U.S. tv since the tv
    is ntsc, even though it plays Pal and outputs ntsc.

    playing Pal and outputting ntsc is NOT enough. You need a dvd player that also
    converts pal to ntsc in addition to playing pal and outputting ntsc.

    Waterperson77, Jul 4, 2004
  10. >The Cyberhome $40 player does it.
    >It also can be set region free.
    >==

    But probably doesn't play "RCE Enhanced" dvd's when set to be "region free".

    Waterperson77, Jul 4, 2004
  11. jayembee Guest

    says...

    > once again, the Philips 825 dvd player claims that it plays Pal and
    > outputs NTSC,(it says that in the instructions) both of which I have
    > personally verified as true. However, it is STILL not watchable on a
    > U.S. tv since the tv is ntsc, even though it plays Pal and outputs ntsc.
    >
    > playing Pal and outputting ntsc is NOT enough. You need a dvd player
    > that also converts pal to ntsc in addition to playing pal and outputting
    > ntsc.

    Amazingly enough, this makes even less sense than your usual inanities.

    If the player is outputting an NTSC signal, than an NTSC TV will display
    it properly. If you're getting a B&W, rolling picture, then the signal
    going into the TV is PAL, not NTSC. And if the signal going into the TV
    is PAL, then the signal coming out of the DVD player is PAL.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 4, 2004
  12. Peter Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I was told it could not, but are there codes one can key in to play a
    > PAL DVD on an NTSC DVD player?
    >
    > Don

    This is quite strange for me because I live in Region 2 PAL and I always did
    everything I
    could to be able to watch NTSC R1/2 DVDs :). Since R1 NTSC has such a wide
    selection - I guess only speciality items from European stores would really
    be on
    someone's PAL DVD list.

    Peter, Jul 4, 2004
  13. >ince R1 NTSC has such a wide
    >selection - I guess only speciality items from European stores would really
    >be on
    >someone's PAL DVD list.

    true. There's finally so much good American stuff coming out on dvd that I can
    hardly keep up with it, nor can I afford all of it that I want.

    However, there are some titles on Pal dvd that will probably never ever be
    released in region 1.

    which most Americans proably would consider "specialty discs" although the
    particular ones I'm talking about are regular general releases in Pal
    countries.

    But since there is so much good region 1 stuff finally being released on dvd,
    which I can't afford all of it or can hardly keep up with, so far my dvd
    collection is all region 1.

    except one or two of my discs might be coded "all region ntsc".

    Waterperson77, Jul 5, 2004
  14. >Amazingly enough, this makes even less sense than your usual inanities.

    that's because this time it's not my inanities, but is Philips' inanities.

    >f the player is outputting an NTSC signal, than an NTSC TV will display
    >it properly. If you're getting a B&W, rolling picture, then the signal
    >going into the TV is PAL, not NTSC. And if the signal going into the TV
    >is PAL, then the signal coming out of the DVD player is PAL.

    you are absolutely correct. It's Philips who is all screwed up.

    I could print a rant about Philips and ntsc pal conversion.

    But to put it simply instead, I originally went by the same definition that you
    and Richard are going by (which is indeed the correct definition) and bought
    the Phhilips 825 because of it (since Philips definition seemed to match).
    However, when I tried it did NOT convert Pal to ntsc despite Phiulips'
    eaarlier statements that all players that played video cd whether or not they
    were dedicated video cd players would automatically convert pal to ntsc and
    vice versa.

    I wrote to Philips about it, and they refused to answer.

    Obviously, Philips does not go by the definition you and Richard go by, even
    though they seem to claim to.

    Waterperson77, Jul 5, 2004
  15. As a result, I will not buy another Philips dvd player since they claimed that
    their machines would convert pal to ntsc, and then they didn't convert pal to
    ntsc.

    Waterperson77, Jul 5, 2004
  16. "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > says...
    >
    > > once again, the Philips 825 dvd player claims that it plays Pal and
    > > outputs NTSC,(it says that in the instructions) both of which I have
    > > personally verified as true. However, it is STILL not watchable on a
    > > U.S. tv since the tv is ntsc, even though it plays Pal and outputs ntsc.
    > >
    > > playing Pal and outputting ntsc is NOT enough. You need a dvd player
    > > that also converts pal to ntsc in addition to playing pal and outputting
    > > ntsc.

    > Amazingly enough, this makes even less sense than your usual inanities.
    >
    > If the player is outputting an NTSC signal, than an NTSC TV will display
    > it properly. If you're getting a B&W, rolling picture, then the signal
    > going into the TV is PAL, not NTSC. And if the signal going into the TV
    > is PAL, then the signal coming out of the DVD player is PAL.

    I think a lot of confusion arises here, because a lot of people use the term
    'NTSC' to refer to a North American standard TV signal of 525 lines and
    (nominally) 60 fields. Similarly they use 'PAL' to refer to a signal of 625
    lines and 50 fields. In fact the terms 'PAL' and 'NTSC' only refer to the
    colour encoding systems used on CVBS and S-Video connections. Component
    video (beit YCrCb or RGB) does not use such encoding (but the terms still
    get applied).

    It is quite possible to have a PAL coded colour signal superimposed on the
    525 line 60 field TV standard, and Brazil actually uses such a system (known
    as PAL-M). Many modern European TV sets that are not intended to operate
    with US standard TV signals are nevertheless sufficiently tolerant of timing
    errors that they will lock onto such a signal (though display it in black
    and white). I presume that American TV sets will also lock onto European
    standard signals. If the connection is made using component video then a
    colour picture should be displayed.

    I do find it surprising that some US sold TV's are not multi-standard these
    days, as the manufacturers frequently use a all encompasing design to cover
    the world markets. Many TV's (excluding the really cheap 12-14 inch
    portables) sold in Europe are able to accept PAL and SECAM (in 625 line) or
    PAL and NTSC (in 525 line).

    Ian.

    Ian.

    The Electric Fan Club, Jul 6, 2004
  17. Richard C. Guest

    : >But it is NOT impossible to find a DVD player that plays PAL and
    outputs
    : >NTSC.
    :
    : once again, the Philips 825 dvd player claims that it plays Pal and
    outputs
    : NTSC,(it says that in the instructions) both of which I have
    personally
    : verified as true. However, it is STILL not watchable on a U.S. tv
    since the tv
    : is ntsc, even though it plays Pal and outputs ntsc.

    ==============================
    That makes no sense........but that is not unusual for you.
    ================================
    :
    : playing Pal and outputting ntsc is NOT enough. You need a dvd player
    that also
    : converts pal to ntsc in addition to playing pal and outputting ntsc.
    :
    =====================================
    You are dumber each day!
    ====================================

    Richard C., Jul 7, 2004
  18. Richard C. Guest

[...]
    ======================
    If it indeed plays PAL and outputs NTSC, then it is YOU that is not
    doing things right.

    RTFM!
    ===========================

    Richard C., Jul 7, 2004
  19. Richard C. Guest

    : >The Cyberhome $40 player does it.
    : >It also can be set region free.
    : >==
    :
    : But probably doesn't play "RCE Enhanced" dvd's when set to be "region
    free".
    :
    =========================
    What is "RCE Enhanced"?

    It will play ANYTHING!
    It can have the region reset infinite times.
    ============================

    Richard C., Jul 7, 2004
  20. Richard C. Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    :
    : <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > I was told it could not, but are there codes one can key in to play
    : > PAL DVD on an NTSC DVD player?
    : >
    : > Don
    :
    : This is quite strange for me because I live in Region 2 PAL and I
    always did
    : everything I
    : could to be able to watch NTSC R1/2 DVDs :). Since R1 NTSC has such a
    wide
    : selection - I guess only speciality items from European stores would
    really
    : be on
    : someone's PAL DVD list.
    :
    There are many non-region 1 discs that are not available here.

    European Malena
    Eyes Wide Shut.
    etc

    Richard C., Jul 7, 2004