    price to sell this lens?

    Thank you in advance for any information or advice.

    NJ
    Neil Jones, Mar 26, 2008

  2. "Neil Jones" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's. I
    > purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
    > the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

    Yes, except for the D40 and D60.
    Andrew Koenig, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Neil Jones <> wrote:
    >I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's.

    I can't find that model number in any reference. Are you sure you didn't
    mistype it?

    >I purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
    >the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

    If you are talking about a normal Nikon F-mount (i.e. _not_ the Pronea
    system), then yes, you can mount it on a current dSLR with very few
    exception. Those exceptions are for some combinations of current bodies
    and 30+year old pre-AI lenses as well as for some one-of-a-kind lenses
    (although most can be chipped and converted into AI-P).

    Automatic metering of 20-30 year old AI-S lenses (pre-AI-P) depends on
    the body of the dSLR.
    And for automatic focus the D40[x] requires AF-S lenses, which haven't
    been around for more than 10 years.

    For a detailed breakdown please see http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Neil Jones

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Neil Jones

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:55:22 GMT, "Andrew Koenig" <> wrote:

    >"Neil Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's. I
    >> purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
    >> the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

    >Yes, except for the D40 and D60.

    It'll work on those. But manual focus only. If it's a D lens, the
    matrix meter should work also. If it's a really old non-cpu lens,
    then manual exposure mode only.

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 26, 2008
  6. Neil Jones <> wrote:
    The best of those lenses is
    >the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?

    There are several versions of the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8
    around. They will all work on the higher end Nikon
    DSLRs, but as noted by others there are various
    restrictions with a couple of the entry level models.
    The AF problem is because it uses a motor in the camera
    to refocus, while more recent designs have the motor
    built into the lense itself. If the camera body does
    not have the motor, it of course cannot auto focus.

    Regardless of that, it is a fine lense. In particular
    if you have the ED version with separate focus and zoom
    rings and a tripod mount built into the lense, it is a
    fabulous lense and you'll definitely want to make sure
    that whatever DSLR body you buy is one that can use it.

    The 80-200mm has long since been replaced by a 70-200mm
    f/2.8 model with the builtin focusing motor, and then
    another version came along with VR (Vibration
    Reduction). The last ED version of the 80-200mm and the
    two 70-200mm designs are optically equal. The more
    recent version with VR is useful if you tend to shoot
    handheld, and perhaps not an economical purchase if you
    tend to use a tripod most of the time anyway.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Mar 27, 2008
  7. Neil Jones

    frederick Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    > The 80-200mm has long since been replaced by a 70-200mm
    > f/2.8 model with the builtin focusing motor, and then
    > another version came along with VR (Vibration
    > Reduction). The last ED version of the 80-200mm and the
    > two 70-200mm designs are optically equal. The more
    > recent version with VR is useful if you tend to shoot
    > handheld, and perhaps not an economical purchase if you
    > tend to use a tripod most of the time anyway.

    The 80-200 AF-D is still a current model, so not really "replaced".
    AFAIK, all AF versions are "ED". Rumour has it that it's no longer
    manufactured. That would be a shame if true. Canon retains lower cost
    non-IS versions of it's excellent 70-200 L f4 and f2.8 lenses.
    The AFS (but non VR) lens of this focal length and aperture equivalent
    was an 80-200, not 70-200. It is reputed by some to have the best
    optics of any versions. It is no longer manufactured, and AFAIK not
    available new for some time.
    The 70-200 VR is nearly double the price of the 80-200 AF-D. The
    optical design differs from the 80-200 AF-D, more similar to the AF-s
    80-200.
    frederick, Mar 27, 2008
  8. "Neil Jones" <> wrote in message news:...

    > For a while now I have only been playing with digital point and shoot
    > cameras. I would like to get back to using the SLR camera.
    >
    > I have a Nikon 6006 AF camera which was purchased in early 90's. I
    > purchased several lenses for the camera. The best of those lenses is
    > the Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8. Will this lens work on a Nikon DSLR?
    >
    > If it does not work with the newer cameras, then what is a good asking
    > price to sell this lens?

    AF Nikkors will fit, AF, and meter on dSLR Nikon bodies D80 and above, but
    not meter or AF on the less expensive bodies unless the lenses are "G", "S", or "I"
    (which it is unlikely your lenses are). Bodies below the D200 will not meter with
    non-AF lenses - so it is likely that your lenses will work well on a D80, a very
    nice body. Remember that all your lenses will have a crop factor of 1:1.5, since
    the sensor is smaller than the FF film size. The 80-200 f2.8 Nikkor is a fine lens
    (and I have one for sale, at http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/fs-zooms.htm,
    for an idea of a price for one tested and in really nice condition, if you decide to
    sell [but don't! ;-]).
    --DR
    David Ruether, Mar 27, 2008
  9. frederick <> wrote:
    >Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >> The 80-200mm has long since been replaced by a 70-200mm
    >> f/2.8 model with the builtin focusing motor, and then
    >> another version came along with VR (Vibration
    >> Reduction). The last ED version of the 80-200mm and the
    >> two 70-200mm designs are optically equal. The more
    >> recent version with VR is useful if you tend to shoot
    >> handheld, and perhaps not an economical purchase if you
    >> tend to use a tripod most of the time anyway.
    >>

    >The 80-200 AF-D is still a current model, so not really "replaced".

    The 1998 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED zoom
    was discontinued in 2003. This lense has 18 elements in
    14 groups, with ED glass used in 5 elements.

    The 1996 AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED was
    discontinued in 2006. (15 elements in 11 groups, with 3
    ED elements, which is the same as all previous AF
    80-200mm f/2.8 Nikkors).

    >AFAIK, all AF versions are "ED".

    The AF 80-200mm f/2.8 design began in 1977, with ED
    glass. It was different, however, from the manual focus
    80-200mm with ED glass, which was a 15 element design.
    The first AF version was finally released in 1988.

    >Rumour has it that it's no longer
    >manufactured. That would be a shame if true. Canon retains lower cost
    >non-IS versions of it's excellent 70-200 L f4 and f2.8 lenses.
    >The AFS (but non VR) lens of this focal length and aperture equivalent
    >was an 80-200, not 70-200. It is reputed by some to have the best
    >optics of any versions. It is no longer manufactured, and AFAIK not
    >available new for some time.
    >The 70-200 VR is nearly double the price of the 80-200 AF-D. The
    >optical design differs from the 80-200 AF-D, more similar to the AF-s
    >80-200.

    Some claim the AFS version of the 80-200mm f/2.8 was
    optically superior to the none Silent Wave versions.

    The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lense released in 2003 has 21
    elements in 15 groups.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Mar 27, 2008
  10. Neil Jones

    frederick Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > frederick <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> The 80-200 AF-D is still a current model, so not really "replaced".

    > The 1998 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED zoom
    > was discontinued in 2003. This lense has 18 elements in
    > 14 groups, with ED glass used in 5 elements.
    >
    > The 1996 AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED was
    > discontinued in 2006. (15 elements in 11 groups, with 3
    > ED elements, which is the same as all previous AF
    > 80-200mm f/2.8 Nikkors).

    It's still listed as current and available on official Nikon sites and
    resellers.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-N...s/1986/AF Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED.html

    If (when) gone and not replaced with something similar (ie pro quality
    without 70-200VR cost) then Nikon just did Canon and Sigma a big favour.
    The excellent 70-300VR (at least up to 200mm) doesn't cut it for fast
    aperture and build quality. Nikon has nothing else of interest in that
    zoom range. While the 80-200 AF-D wasn't true IF, it practically was
    with non extending design, non rotating filter thread (front element
    rotates inside fixed lens housing).

    frederick, Mar 28, 2008
  11. Neil Jones

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:49:46 GMT, which is several weeks ago now,
    Jürgen Exner <> wrote:

    >Neil Jones <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >If you are talking about a normal Nikon F-mount (i.e. _not_ the Pronea
    >system), then yes, you can mount it on a current dSLR with very few
    >exception. Those exceptions are for some combinations of current bodies
    >and 30+year old pre-AI lenses as well as for some one-of-a-kind lenses
    >(although most can be chipped and converted into AI-P).

    I'm interested in chipping some of my AI lenses, but I am aware of
    only one person who does that, Roland Elliott. Is there anyone else
    who offers this service?

    Roland's website indicates that he doesn't do a lot of the lenses I
    have. Also, if you read about him in some of the web forums, he isn't
    that reliable.

    Father Kodak
    Father Kodak, Apr 14, 2008