    the best I've been able to do is keep the site from actually appearing; but
    that doesn't stop it from resetting itself as my home page every day.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Norm Donchin, Aug 25, 2003

    David Postill, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Norm Donchin

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 05:04:04 GMT, "Norm Donchin"
    <> wrote:

    >Can a registrant lose the right to use a domain name if he is abusing the
    >privilege?
    >
    >I used whois to find out the identity of the entity that has been changing
    >my home page to his home page in IE6 on a daily basis, despite my efforts to
    >keep him out, using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus. This is a porn site, and
    >the best I've been able to do is keep the site from actually appearing; but
    >that doesn't stop it from resetting itself as my home page every day.
    >
    >Any advice would be appreciated.

    If you don't get results from AdAware and Spybot, checkout this
    article.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=5187&s=8635cf75dbfbeaadbc0d8fc3e48c35a3

    HijackThis takes a different technique to identify malware. It
    generates a very inclusive log, which is then reviewed by experts at
    forums like SpywareInfo. You'll likely have answers the same day you
    post the HT log.

    Cheers,

    Chuck

    Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
    Trusted Computing? Right! http://www.againsttcpa.com/
    WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

    Chuck, Aug 25, 2003
  4. In article <8Ng2b.251870$Ho3.33503@sccrnsc03>,
    says...
    > Can a registrant lose the right to use a domain name if he is abusing the
    > privilege?
    >
    > I used whois to find out the identity of the entity that has been changing
    > my home page to his home page in IE6 on a daily basis, despite my efforts to
    > keep him out, using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus. This is a porn site, and
    > the best I've been able to do is keep the site from actually appearing; but
    > that doesn't stop it from resetting itself as my home page every day.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    he's not doing anything, you're the person responsible for securing your
    OS. he's merely doing what you allow. you want to blame someone else for
    your ****-up. typical.

    the question should be, how do you stop this from occurring? apply
    proper OS patches, use anti-spy-ware, such as spybot, use a proper anti-
    virus, not the crap put out by norton and mcafee, something like f-prot,
    avg, f-secure, sophos... secure your browser, don't allow scripts to
    change your settings... for that matter, get a real browser such as
    mozilla. you're probably allowing just about everything through, it's a
    wonder your machine hasn't felt more pain than a simple homepage change.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Aug 26, 2003
  5. Norm Donchin wrote:

    > Can a registrant lose the right to use a domain name if he is abusing the
    > privilege?
    >
    > I used whois to find out the identity of the entity that has been changing
    > my home page to his home page in IE6 on a daily basis, despite my

    efforts to
    > keep him out, using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus. This is a porn

    site, and
    > the best I've been able to do is keep the site from actually

    appearing; but
    > that doesn't stop it from resetting itself as my home page every day.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    Norm:

    Is he putting the files on your PC or is changing your DNS records? Is
    the site on your PC or is it hosted?

    It can be done either way.

    Slug
    --