    People will occasionally stumble over
    the truth, but most of the time they
    will pick themselves up and carry on.

    Gerald Ross, Aug 30, 2004

  2. I haven't seen that...but its not impossible. I have seen things in
    photographs that I did not see with my eyes. Different wave lengths. One
    example that ruined a great shot was a phone number that a girl had written
    on her arm a week earlier. Faded to the eye but the camera saw it.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Gerald Ross

    Charles Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:53:17 -0500, Gerald Ross
    <> wrote:

    >I have noticed that my digital (Kodak) pictures of young adults often
    >show shadows on the teeth where braces were years earlier. Is this my
    >imagination?

    Teeth glow in ultra-violet. Are these flash pictures? There may be
    some UV from the flash.

    --

    - Charles
    -
    Charles, Aug 30, 2004
  4. Gerald Ross

    Drifter Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:18:30 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >I haven't seen that...but its not impossible. I have seen things in
    >photographs that I did not see with my eyes. Different wave lengths. One
    >example that ruined a great shot was a phone number that a girl had written
    >on her arm a week earlier. Faded to the eye but the camera saw it.

    I thought I was the only one who had that happen! I also have a
    camera that insists that my black cordura camera bag is a nice dark
    brandy red. Every picture I take with that bag in it everything else
    comes out normally but the bag is red, I just can't figure it out!

    I've also noticed that with my 10D and a circular polarizer you can
    usually tell when a front tooth is a cap/crown/etc.

    Ah well, isn't that what photoshop is for?

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Aug 30, 2004
  5. Gerald Ross

    ed Guest

    > I have noticed that my digital (Kodak) pictures of young adults often
    > show shadows on the teeth where braces were years earlier. Is this my
    > imagination?

    No, it's not just your imagination. Did you see Charlie's Angels? They
    enhanced the reflection in a window digitally and saw that it was the creepy
    thin man
    ed, Aug 30, 2004
  6. In article <>, Gerald Ross
    <> wrote:

    > I have noticed that my digital (Kodak) pictures of young adults often
    > show shadows on the teeth where braces were years earlier. Is this my
    > imagination?

    Back in the mid-70s, these lime green tuxes were quite popular for
    weddings. Unfortunately, the light from a strobe would have some
    strange effect on the dye used and sometimes they'd come out tan using
    old CPS. And you couldn't tell before taking the picture if it was
    going to be a problem. Try explaining that one to the bride & groom &
    family.
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 30, 2004
  7. Gerald Ross

    jpc Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:33:19 -0400, Drifter <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:18:30 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't seen that...but its not impossible. I have seen things in
    >>photographs that I did not see with my eyes. Different wave lengths. One
    >>example that ruined a great shot was a phone number that a girl had written
    >>on her arm a week earlier. Faded to the eye but the camera saw it.

    >I thought I was the only one who had that happen! I also have a
    >camera that insists that my black cordura camera bag is a nice dark
    >brandy red. Every picture I take with that bag in it everything else
    >comes out normally but the bag is red, I just can't figure it out!

    Most likely your black bag is like mine-- highly reflective in the
    infrared. If you have a relatively weak IR blocking filter, the
    infrared reflection will show up in the red channel

    jpc
    jpc, Aug 30, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    Drifter <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:18:30 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I haven't seen that...but its not impossible. I have seen things in
    > >photographs that I did not see with my eyes. Different wave lengths. One
    > >example that ruined a great shot was a phone number that a girl had written
    > >on her arm a week earlier. Faded to the eye but the camera saw it.

    > I thought I was the only one who had that happen! I also have a
    > camera that insists that my black cordura camera bag is a nice dark
    > brandy red. Every picture I take with that bag in it everything else
    > comes out normally but the bag is red, I just can't figure it out!

    Some dyes and pigments are dichroic. They reflect one set of colors but
    let a different set pass through, or change colors with the angle of
    viewing. The camera sees flash light that passes through a fiber,
    bounces off the back, and projects back at the camera. (Similar to
    red-eye light) That can be a very different color than what bounces off
    the surface.

    > I've also noticed that with my 10D and a circular polarizer you can
    > usually tell when a front tooth is a cap/crown/etc.

    Ick.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 30, 2004
  9. Gerald Ross

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:

    > I haven't seen that...but its not impossible. I have seen things in
    > photographs that I did not see with my eyes. Different wave lengths. One
    > example that ruined a great shot was a phone number that a girl had written
    > on her arm a week earlier. Faded to the eye but the camera saw it.
    >

    > "Gerald Ross" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have noticed that my digital (Kodak) pictures of young adults often
    >>show shadows on the teeth where braces were years earlier. Is this my
    >>imagination?
    >>--
    >>
    >>Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
    >>To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"
    >>People will occasionally stumble over
    >>the truth, but most of the time they
    >>will pick themselves up and carry on.

    >>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Sounds like a simple job for Photoshop....
    Ron Hunter, Aug 30, 2004
  10. Gerald Ross

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > In article <>, Gerald Ross
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have noticed that my digital (Kodak) pictures of young adults often
    >>show shadows on the teeth where braces were years earlier. Is this my
    >>imagination?

    > Back in the mid-70s, these lime green tuxes were quite popular for
    > weddings. Unfortunately, the light from a strobe would have some
    > strange effect on the dye used and sometimes they'd come out tan using
    > old CPS. And you couldn't tell before taking the picture if it was
    > going to be a problem. Try explaining that one to the bride & groom &
    > family.

    Photoshop to the rescue.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 30, 2004
  11. Gerald Ross

    Drifter Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:15:47 -0500, jpc wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:33:19 -0400, Drifter <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:18:30 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I haven't seen that...but its not impossible. I have seen things in
    >>>photographs that I did not see with my eyes. Different wave lengths. One
    >>>example that ruined a great shot was a phone number that a girl had written
    >>>on her arm a week earlier. Faded to the eye but the camera saw it.

    >>I thought I was the only one who had that happen! I also have a
    >>camera that insists that my black cordura camera bag is a nice dark
    >>brandy red. Every picture I take with that bag in it everything else
    >>comes out normally but the bag is red, I just can't figure it out!

    >Most likely your black bag is like mine-- highly reflective in the
    >infrared. If you have a relatively weak IR blocking filter, the
    >infrared reflection will show up in the red channel

    Interesting. Yes that particular camera is a fairly cheap point n'
    shoot "toycam" so it wouldn't surprise me to find out other parts are
    cheap as well <grin>.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Aug 30, 2004

  12. > >
    > > Back in the mid-70s, these lime green tuxes were quite popular for
    > > weddings. Unfortunately, the light from a strobe would have some
    > > strange effect on the dye used and sometimes they'd come out tan using
    > > old CPS. And you couldn't tell before taking the picture if it was
    > > going to be a problem. Try explaining that one to the bride & groom &
    > > family.

    > Photoshop to the rescue.

    In the 70's!?

    LT
    Linda Terrell, Aug 30, 2004
  13. Gerald Ross

    dj_nme Guest

    Linda Terrell wrote:

    >>>Back in the mid-70s, these lime green tuxes were quite popular for
    >>>weddings. Unfortunately, the light from a strobe would have some
    >>>strange effect on the dye used and sometimes they'd come out tan using
    >>>old CPS. And you couldn't tell before taking the picture if it was
    >>>going to be a problem. Try explaining that one to the bride & groom &
    >>>family.

    >>Photoshop to the rescue.

    > In the 70's!?
    >
    > LT

    Better late than never?
    dj_nme, Aug 30, 2004
  14. Gerald Ross

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Linda Terrell wrote:

    >>>Back in the mid-70s, these lime green tuxes were quite popular for
    >>>weddings. Unfortunately, the light from a strobe would have some
    >>>strange effect on the dye used and sometimes they'd come out tan using
    >>>old CPS. And you couldn't tell before taking the picture if it was
    >>>going to be a problem. Try explaining that one to the bride & groom &
    >>>family.

    >>Photoshop to the rescue.

    > In the 70's!?
    >
    > LT

    So it's 30 years late. Grin. At least the anniversary pictures will
    look right.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 30, 2004
  15. Gerald Ross

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Randall,

    Anamolous reflectance. What the eye sees is different than what the film
    sees. The human eye is astounding in what it can discern. We can see
    colors that are quite different on film, depending on what is reflected.
    The green tux, and in many cases black tuxes show differently when
    photographed as the dyes used in the as well as the fabric are different.
    We see them as Black yet film sees them differently.

    Remember, our minds dictate what we see and it is a learned perception. The
    rods and cones in everyones eyes are similar but not identical. More than
    likely as we refine and improve digital imaging, you will find a lot of new
    and exciting ways to see images with astounding detail.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Aug 30, 2004
  16. Gerald Ross

    John Doe Guest

    Try aiming your camera at the corners of your ceiling. I did this by
    accident once and was amazed at the number of cobwebs. None of which could
    be seen by anyone in the house. So I have to say it is very possible.

    John

    John Doe, Aug 30, 2004
  17. In article <cgvlmc$5f2$>, Ron Baird
    <> wrote:

    > Anamolous reflectance. What the eye sees is different than what the film
    > sees. The human eye is astounding in what it can discern. We can see
    > colors that are quite different on film, depending on what is reflected.
    > The green tux, and in many cases black tuxes show differently when
    > photographed as the dyes used in the as well as the fabric are different.
    > We see them as Black yet film sees them differently.

    Fortunately it never happened in any of the weddings that I did, but I
    know others in the business that it happened to. If you've been with
    the Great Yellow Father for very long, you've surely heard about it.
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 31, 2004
  18. Gerald Ross

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:

    > Greetings Randall,
    >
    > Anamolous reflectance. What the eye sees is different than what the film
    > sees. The human eye is astounding in what it can discern. We can see
    > colors that are quite different on film, depending on what is reflected.
    > The green tux, and in many cases black tuxes show differently when
    > photographed as the dyes used in the as well as the fabric are different.
    > We see them as Black yet film sees them differently.
    >
    > Remember, our minds dictate what we see and it is a learned perception. The
    > rods and cones in everyones eyes are similar but not identical. More than
    > likely as we refine and improve digital imaging, you will find a lot of new
    > and exciting ways to see images with astounding detail.
    >
    > Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company
    >

    > "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <>, Gerald Ross
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have noticed that my digital (Kodak) pictures of young adults often
    >>>show shadows on the teeth where braces were years earlier. Is this my
    >>>imagination?

    >>Back in the mid-70s, these lime green tuxes were quite popular for
    >>weddings. Unfortunately, the light from a strobe would have some
    >>strange effect on the dye used and sometimes they'd come out tan using
    >>old CPS. And you couldn't tell before taking the picture if it was
    >>going to be a problem. Try explaining that one to the bride & groom &
    >>family.

    Our visual processing is performed by a massively parallel processor,
    which though not fast, manages to work very well. What we see is a
    combination of the physical equipment (our eyes), and the software that
    interprets it (the learned responses in our brains). It is hardly
    surprising that chemical reactions produce things perceived differently
    sometimes.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 31, 2004
  19. Gerald Ross

    Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:48:06 -0400, "Ron Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Greetings Randall,
    >
    >Anamolous reflectance. What the eye sees is different than what the film
    >sees.

    And sometimes less. Years back, some outfit was putting
    together a book of Andrew Wyeth paintings. When they got to the one of
    the old soldier wearing an Eisenhower jacket, the prints all showed a
    green cast, which was not on the pictiure as viewed. After some
    research, they found Wyeth had indeed gone over the whole canvas with
    a green wash, for whatever reason, then completely covered it with the
    eventual painting.

    >The human eye is astounding in what it can discern. We can see
    >colors that are quite different on film, depending on what is reflected.
    >The green tux, and in many cases black tuxes show differently when
    >photographed as the dyes used in the as well as the fabric are different.
    >We see them as Black yet film sees them differently.
    >
    >Remember, our minds dictate what we see and it is a learned perception. The
    >rods and cones in everyones eyes are similar but not identical. More than
    >likely as we refine and improve digital imaging, you will find a lot of new
    >and exciting ways to see images with astounding detail.
    >
    >Talk to you soon,
    >
    >Ron Baird
    >Eastman Kodak Company
    >

    >"Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Gerald Ross
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have noticed that my digital (Kodak) pictures of young adults often
    >> > show shadows on the teeth where braces were years earlier. Is this my
    >> > imagination?

    >> Back in the mid-70s, these lime green tuxes were quite popular for
    >> weddings. Unfortunately, the light from a strobe would have some
    >> strange effect on the dye used and sometimes they'd come out tan using
    >> old CPS. And you couldn't tell before taking the picture if it was
    >> going to be a problem. Try explaining that one to the bride & groom &
    >> family.

    , Aug 31, 2004
  20. Gerald Ross

    b Guest

    if you're talking pure detail,,,satellite photos pick up detail we
    can't dream of seeing with the naked eye. but cameras can't negotiate
    variances in value changes.....they are not as sensitive as the human
    eye.
    b, Aug 31, 2004