Can a BIOS tell the difference between 45ns RDRAM and 40ns RDRAM?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Scott Gardner, May 8, 2004.

  1. I'm trying to add more memory to a Dell Dimension 8200, with a P4 2.26
    GHZ CPU. The memory requirements are PC800 RDRAM, 40 ns or faster.
    I didn't know about the 40ns part until after I bought the new RAM,
    which is evidently 45ns. The new modules are 256MB modules, a size
    which I know the 8200 supports.

    When I install the RAM, I get an error message at bootup that says
    "Unsupported memory detected in slots 1 and 2 (or 3 and 4, depending
    on where I put the new RAM) - please remove and replace with PC800
    RDRAM, 40ns or faster"

    I don't have another RDRAM-equipped computer to test the new modules
    in, so I can't swear they're good. I ordered them online, so I'd like
    to do some more troubleshooting before I send them back.

    If the new modules are really good, and the only problem is that
    they're 5ns too slow, would the BIOS be able to detect this? In the
    past, whenever I've installed RAM that was marginally too slow, it
    either worked fine, or would only give errors while running
    memory-intensive programs. This computer, on the other hand, won't
    even boot up. Do RDRAM modules somehow "report" their speed to the
    BIOS on bootup?

    The Dell has the latest BIOS flashed on it, and the problem is
    happening whether I have the new modules in slots 1 and 2 with CRIMMS
    in 3 and 4, CRIMMS in 1 and 2 with the new RAM in 3 and 4, or with the
    original 128MB modules in either pair with the new RAM in the other
    pair of slots.

    Also, the Dell website says that the replacement RAM for the 8200 is
    ECC-type, but the original 128Mb modules are non-ECC, so I think it
    can take either type.

    Thanks for any help,
    Scott Gardner
    Scott Gardner, May 8, 2004

  2. Scott Gardner

    Thor Guest

    > If the new modules are really good, and the only problem is that
    > they're 5ns too slow, would the BIOS be able to detect this? In the
    > past, whenever I've installed RAM that was marginally too slow, it
    > either worked fine, or would only give errors while running
    > memory-intensive programs. This computer, on the other hand, won't
    > even boot up. Do RDRAM modules somehow "report" their speed to the
    > BIOS on bootup?

    Yes, and so does SDRAM, and it has for several years now. There is a chip on
    the module that carries the specifications of the module, so the BIOS can
    query it and set timing parameters accordingly. It's called a Serial
    Presence Detect (SPD) chip.
    Thor, May 8, 2004

  3. On Sat, 8 May 2004 15:17:08 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> If the new modules are really good, and the only problem is that
    >> they're 5ns too slow, would the BIOS be able to detect this? In the
    >> past, whenever I've installed RAM that was marginally too slow, it
    >> either worked fine, or would only give errors while running
    >> memory-intensive programs. This computer, on the other hand, won't
    >> even boot up. Do RDRAM modules somehow "report" their speed to the
    >> BIOS on bootup?

    >Yes, and so does SDRAM, and it has for several years now. There is a chip on
    >the module that carries the specifications of the module, so the BIOS can
    >query it and set timing parameters accordingly. It's called a Serial
    >Presence Detect (SPD) chip.

    Thanks for the quick, helpful reply. I guess I need to send these
    back and get some 40ns modules, then. I never thought I'd run into
    speed problems putting modern RAM in a two-year-old computer.
    Usually, even run-of-the-mill new stuff is more than fast enough to
    work with a computer that's a couple years old. Maybe since RDRAM
    isn't used much anymore, they haven't really advanced the way other
    types of RAM have.

    Scott Gardner
    Scott Gardner, May 8, 2004
  4. Scott Gardner

    Hoffman Guest

    I hope you don't have a problem returning the ram. Ram is often not
    returnable.

    Larry.

    Hoffman, May 9, 2004
  5. Me too. I'm hoping the seller will be willing to take the 45ns
    modules back and sell me 40ns modules. If not, it looks like I'll
    have to take a loss selling them on eBay.

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, May 9, 2004
  6. On Sat, 8 May 2004 15:17:08 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> If the new modules are really good, and the only problem is that
    >> they're 5ns too slow, would the BIOS be able to detect this? In the
    >> past, whenever I've installed RAM that was marginally too slow, it
    >> either worked fine, or would only give errors while running
    >> memory-intensive programs. This computer, on the other hand, won't
    >> even boot up. Do RDRAM modules somehow "report" their speed to the
    >> BIOS on bootup?

    >Yes, and so does SDRAM, and it has for several years now. There is a chip on
    >the module that carries the specifications of the module, so the BIOS can
    >query it and set timing parameters accordingly. It's called a Serial
    >Presence Detect (SPD) chip.

    Good job once more Thor. As usual, you come through with a succinct,
    accurate response that saves the questioner a lot of time looking for
    an answer.....You have certainly done that for me on several occasions
    and I appreciate it.

    Each NG has its core of experts who help the rest of us. I have often
    wished I could reciprocate in order to show my gratitude to those NG
    "anchors" who share their knowledge but very few people have or want
    search and seizure issues to contend with...
    John H. Power, May 9, 2004
  7. Scott Gardner

    Thor Guest

    "John H. Power" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 May 2004 15:17:08 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> If the new modules are really good, and the only problem is that
    > >> they're 5ns too slow, would the BIOS be able to detect this? In the
    > >> past, whenever I've installed RAM that was marginally too slow, it
    > >> either worked fine, or would only give errors while running
    > >> memory-intensive programs. This computer, on the other hand, won't
    > >> even boot up. Do RDRAM modules somehow "report" their speed to the
    > >> BIOS on bootup?

    > >Yes, and so does SDRAM, and it has for several years now. There is a chip

    on
    > >the module that carries the specifications of the module, so the BIOS can
    > >query it and set timing parameters accordingly. It's called a Serial
    > >Presence Detect (SPD) chip.
    > >

    > Good job once more Thor. As usual, you come through with a succinct,
    > accurate response that saves the questioner a lot of time looking for
    > an answer.....You have certainly done that for me on several occasions
    > and I appreciate it.
    >
    > Each NG has its core of experts who help the rest of us. I have often
    > wished I could reciprocate in order to show my gratitude to those NG
    > "anchors" who share their knowledge but very few people have or want
    > search and seizure issues to contend with...

    Thanks for the kind words. :)
    Thor, May 9, 2004
  8. Scott Gardner

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Thanks for the kind words. :)

    Yeah, put them on the statue of you that commissioned in marble for the
    Town Green.

    ps Are you on horseback for this one or just holding a lightning bolt as
    usual?

    :)
    Plato, May 10, 2004
  9. Scott Gardner

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > Thanks for the kind words. :)

    > Yeah, put them on the statue of you that commissioned in marble for the
    > Town Green.
    >
    > ps Are you on horseback for this one or just holding a lightning bolt as
    > usual?
    >
    > :)

    LOL!
    Thor, May 10, 2004