    than "commonly associated with," but unfortunately HP doesn't seem to
    be more precise as to the pixel capabilities of its highest resolution
    image ((with the R607 model, that is.)))
    Jules Vide, Apr 13, 2006

  2. On 13 Apr 2006 12:53:00 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jules Vide"
    <> wrote:

    >I currently have another thread on this newsgroup and have received an
    >overwhelming education in digital photography. The ironic thing is
    >that the education has been so copious (for me, that is), that I'll
    >need time to peruse the various links and suggestions in order to
    >implement them into my digital photographic repertoire.
    >
    >For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
    >photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the pixel size
    >of its highest resolution "choice") at the highest resolution at 4 MP
    >commonly associated with a 4 MP camera? (Sorry I can't be more precise
    >than "commonly associated with," but unfortunately HP doesn't seem to
    >be more precise as to the pixel capabilities of its highest resolution
    >image ((with the R607 model, that is.)))

    2320 x 1744 is the max image dimensions from
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/HP/hp_r607.asp
    which first you must understand is NOT the same aspect ratio of your
    desired print size.

    2320 / 1744 = 1.33
    vs.
    9/6 = 1.50

    So at 300dpi this would yield:

    2320/300 = 7.73 inches
    by
    1744/300 = 5.81 inches.

    or for your desired 9x6 print

    2320/9 = 258 dpi
    or
    1744/6 = 290 dpi.

    so without cropping you could print an 8 x 6 print at 290dpi.

    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 13, 2006

  3. Jules Vide

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Jules Vide" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have another thread on this newsgroup and have received an
    > overwhelming education in digital photography. The ironic thing is
    > that the education has been so copious (for me, that is), that I'll
    > need time to peruse the various links and suggestions in order to
    > implement them into my digital photographic repertoire.
    >
    > For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
    > photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the pixel size
    > of its highest resolution "choice") at the highest resolution at 4 MP
    > commonly associated with a 4 MP camera? (Sorry I can't be more precise
    > than "commonly associated with," but unfortunately HP doesn't seem to
    > be more precise as to the pixel capabilities of its highest resolution
    > image ((with the R607 model, that is.)))

    My Casio QV4000 which is about 4 mp at 9" x 6" gives me 250.667 pixels per
    inch. However my printer will print this at 1200 dpi. I think you do
    actually mean PPI which is what comes out of your camera DPI is a printer
    term not a camera one.

    However lots of magazines ask for 300 DPI pictures when they actually mean
    300 PPI.

    The editorial still has no idea what the compositor does :)

    But see this;
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844
    Most interesting!

    Jem

    -------------------------------------
    Birmingham Independent Photographers
    http://bip.wikispaces.com/
    Jem Raid, Apr 13, 2006
  4. "Jules Vide" <> wrote:

    > I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
    > photograph at 300 DPI

    Don't bother your head with the math... 6 x 9" is my favorite print
    format because I like to leave a fat white border as a frame on 8.5 x
    11" paper.

    During my long digital apprenticeship with various small cameras, I found
    that even a 2 MP camera can yield a print that size that stands up to
    fairly close inspection. Your 4.1 MP should do even better.

    --
    Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
    Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
    Charles Gillen, Apr 13, 2006
  5. "Jules Vide" <> wrote in message
    > For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
    > photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the pixel size

    6 x 300 x 9 x 300 = 4860000 or 4.86 MP, so no.

    But what your question really should be is "can I get a decent 6x9 from my
    HP 607" and the answer to that is "yes". You will have to upsize the image
    slightly and interpolate.

    You were originally I think trying to use a 600x400 image which is 1/4 of a
    MP, which is why it looked like crap when printed at 6"x9".

    -Andrew
    Andrew Crabtree, Apr 14, 2006
  6. Jules Vide

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:53:36 -0400, Charles Gillen wrote:

    > "Jules Vide" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
    >> photograph at 300 DPI

    > Don't bother your head with the math... 6 x 9" is my favorite print
    > format because I like to leave a fat white border as a frame on 8.5 x
    > 11" paper.
    >
    > During my long digital apprenticeship with various small cameras, I found
    > that even a 2 MP camera can yield a print that size that stands up to
    > fairly close inspection. Your 4.1 MP should do even better.

    The camera takes a picture the size of the sensor. The picture is enlarged
    outside of the camera by whatever method you choose - such as your
    computer.

    --
    Neil
    delete 'l' to reply
    Neil Ellwood, Apr 14, 2006
  7. Charles Gillen wrote:
    > "Jules Vide" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
    >> photograph at 300 DPI

    > Don't bother your head with the math... 6 x 9" is my favorite print
    > format because I like to leave a fat white border as a frame on 8.5 x
    > 11" paper.
    >
    > During my long digital apprenticeship with various small cameras, I
    > found that even a 2 MP camera can yield a print that size that stands
    > up to fairly close inspection. Your 4.1 MP should do even better.

    Thank heavens for some sense at last! I second that! My five-year-old Kodak
    DSC280 has taken loads of superbly-detailed, noise-free, 6 by 9's, and
    although I have replaced it several times with new "plastic fantastics", it
    still works superbly well, and has a die-cast heavy body and a super lens!

    2.2 mpxls. Let the techno's debate how this can be, I don't care! Somewhere
    along the way these idiots got tied up with the sales blurb!

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Jules Vide

    Jules Vide Guest

    Another mini-math and mini-photography course. I read my owner's
    manual last night and am starting to understand the stats page. Thanks
    to everyone who replied.
    Jules Vide, Apr 14, 2006
  9. "Jules Vide" <> writes:
    > For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6
    > x 9 photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the
    > pixel size of its highest resolution "choice") at the highest
    > resolution at 4 MP commonly associated with a 4 MP camera? (Sorry I
    > can't be more precise than "commonly associated with," but
    > unfortunately HP doesn't seem to be more precise as to the pixel
    > capabilities of its highest resolution image ((with the R607 model,
    > that is.)))

    Actually, HP is very precise about this. The specification sheet for
    HP Photosmart R607 says that at its highest resolution is 1744 x 2320
    pixels. This tells you all you need to know about the camera's
    reolution.

    This means that if you shoot at highest resolution, and print at 300
    ppi, the print will measure 5.8" x 7.7".

    The HP R607 has a 4:3 aspect ratio. 6x9 is a 3:2 aspect ratio, so one
    can not print at 6x9 without distoring or cropping - 6" x 8" is the
    print size that would match your camera's aspect ratio.

    If you print at 6" x 8", the print resolution will be 291 ppi.
    Not quite 300 ppi, but very, very close.

    To cut a long story short: 291 ppi is considered more than enough
    resolution for a high quality print, so your HP R607 is up to
    the task of taking a decent picture for this size of print.

    NB: Looking at the spec. sheet for the camera, I've noticed that it is
    equipped with so-called "digital zoom". Do NOT use the digital zoom
    if you want the best possible resolution from this camera. The 3x
    optical zoom is fine, but digital zoom is a resolution-destroyer.
    Avoid it.
    Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
    Gisle Hannemyr, Apr 15, 2006