can 802.1q and ISL co-exist?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bill F, May 4, 2004.

  1. Bill F

    Bill F Guest

    Here's the distilled question.
    Can 802.1q and ISL trunks co-exist on a switch? Specifically a 4006
    (CatOS)??

    Here's the bigger picture.

    3620 --ISL-- 4006 Sup II (core) -- 802.1q-- 3548XLs --- IP Phone --- PC

    The 4006 is currently doing 802.1q trunking to workgroup switches.

    and set up for qos for vox traffic as follows

    set qos enable
    set qos map 2q1t 2 1 cos 2-3
    set qos map 2q1t 2 1 cos 4-5
    set qos map 2q1t 2 1 cos 6-7

    Because we've run out of ints on a 3620 we're in a situation where we
    temporarily (I've suggested a multilayer Sup module already) need to add
    a few vlans and therefore need to start trunking a data vlan along w/the
    vox vlan across a single 3620 int to the 4006. Secondly, I want to put a
    FW image on this box, but, there isn't an image that supports both
    802.1q trunking (an IP Plus feature) and FW features for the 3620. I
    already double checked w/TAC on this.

    Here's what they said.
    "....
    3) Firewall, IDS and 802.1q trunking are not available together for
    3620 on 12.3 mainline. I checked 12.2T also. 802.1q trunking is
    available in IP Plus only.

    4) Firewall, IDS and 802.1q trunking are available together for
    3220,3640, 3660 and 3745, not on 3620.
    ...."

    So, I'll have to go w/ an ISL trunk between the 4006 and the 3620.
    Question is a) can ISL and 802.1q trunks co-exist on the 4006 and b)
    while there was no qos on the 3620 to begin with, should I, can I add it
    to the 3620-4006 trunk and will that work in a 802.1q + ISL environment?
    Bill F, May 4, 2004

  2. Don't know how it will affect your QOS but you can use ISL and 802.1q
    together on the same switch.

    JR
    --
    Johnny Routin

    ©¿©
    -

    Johnny Routin, May 4, 2004

  3. Bill F

    Bill F Guest

    hmm, someone from tac said they couldn't co-exist. Any others wanna
    weigh in?

    Bill F, May 4, 2004
  4. Bill F

    Peter Guest

    Bill F wrote:
    > hmm, someone from tac said they couldn't co-exist. Any others wanna
    > weigh in?
    >
    > Johnny Routin wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know how it will affect your QOS but you can use ISL and 802.1q
    >> together on the same switch.
    >>
    >> JR
    >> --
    >> Johnny Routin

    FWIW, we have used a mix of both ISL and dot1q on C2948G L3's in the
    past and it worked fine (except you could only switch a block of 4
    adjacent ports at a time between ISL and dot1q). I can't say the same
    for a 4000 though, however my understanding is that the 2948G L3 is
    based on a Layer 3 card from the 4000 line, so with the right H/W and
    Firmware in place it may be possible.

    I hope this helps.........Peter.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***
    Peter, May 5, 2004
  5. Bill F

    Bill F Guest

    I guess the place where I have to keep 1q is on the workgroup swithches
    the phones are connected to. So would it make more sense to do ISL
    between the router and 4k and between the 4k and 3500s with 1q on the
    3500 ports? I hope I'm not confusing the issue

    Bill F, May 5, 2004
  6. I'm not sure about the 4006 switches but I've seen them coexist between
    6500s and 35xxs. It might not be possible with your mix of equipment so
    that's worth checking out. Looking at your diagram I would think it's
    possible in that configuration.

    JR
    --
    Johnny Routin

    ©¿©
    -

    Johnny Routin, May 5, 2004
  7. Bill F

    Bill F Guest

    Well, turns out there's a tcp vulnerability fixed 3620 image that
    supports 1q and FW features after all. It's just that the sw advisor
    obscured this fact. But I did learn a couple things along the way, I'd
    like to share.

    a)You can have ISL and 1q trunks on the same switch.
    b)The cat4k does NOT support ISL despite what the command ref doc says

    Thanks
    Bill F, May 5, 2004
  8. Bill F

    Ben Guest

    Regarding the Qos part, should work fine as both ISL and dot1q have CoS
    support in Cisco, just in a different part of the frame.

    Ben, May 6, 2004