Campbell Smith of the RIANZ has his say on Section 92A

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Mar 8, 2009.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 8, 2009

  2. In message <gp18id$jmh$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Campbell Smith of the RIANZ gets his say on Section 92A:

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10560605

    The trade value of recorded music worldwide has fallen by more than a
    fifth in the past 10 years, despite more people than ever using and
    enjoying it.

    True, but why is this a bad thing?

    Yet the widespread availability of unlicensed music on the internet acts
    as a disincentive to those considering setting up legal services.

    Legal pay-for-download and pay-for-play services, certainly. But legal
    services using the recordings as promotional giveaways for something the
    punters are willing to pay for--there are more and more musicians
    successfully doing exactly that.

    The fact that they're leaving the recording companies behind in doing so is
    another matter entirely.

    Section 92A will be great news for consumers who will be able to enjoy a
    wide choice of artists to listen to.

    How's that for doublethink?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 9, 2009

  3. Nik Coughlin

    oneofus Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Campbell Smith of the RIANZ gets his say on Section 92A:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10560605

    To quote the article

    "Preventing copyright infringement is something that ISPs already set
    out in their terms and conditions. "

    That really brings his credibility into question

    ISPs reserve the right to take action in cases of copyright infringement.

    They are not responsible for preventing copyright infringements.

    He should check out whether NZ artists really have a problem

    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3518623/Fat_freddy_s_drop
    23 seeders 2 leechers
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3877157/Hollie_Smith_-_Long_player
    1 seeder 4 leechers

    Its like that for every kiwi artist

    This is about TV programmes, not music.

    He is shilling for the Hollywood pigopolists, and if this law is on the
    books we will have to live with all the unintended consequences, what is
    it going to mean years from now ? We can't tell.
    oneofus, Mar 9, 2009
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Peter Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Campbell Smith of the RIANZ gets his say on Section 92A:

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10560605

    The response from Chris Barton makes more sense;
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10561186

    "What [Campbell Smith] really means is: "We want internet providers to
    be our vigilantes - cop, judge, jury and executioner - to hunt down illegal
    music downloaders and cut off their internet." Isn't that job of the police
    and the courts? And what about due process - don't people accused of
    wrongdoing deserve a fair hearing?"
    Peter, Mar 12, 2009
  5. Nik Coughlin

    oneofus Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Campbell Smith of the RIANZ gets his say on Section 92A:
    >>

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10560605
    >
    > The response from Chris Barton makes more sense;
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10561186
    >
    > "What [Campbell Smith] really means is: "We want internet providers to
    > be our vigilantes - cop, judge, jury and executioner - to hunt down illegal
    > music downloaders and cut off their internet." Isn't that job of the police
    > and the courts? And what about due process - don't people accused of
    > wrongdoing deserve a fair hearing?"

    Here's what its really all about

    http://www.boingboing.net/2009/03/13/obama-administraion.html
    oneofus, Mar 13, 2009