    seconds, with the batteries removed.

    Thanks!

    John Feinberg
    John Feinberg, Jan 5, 2004

  2. According to John Feinberg <>:
    > I had been using a Minolta f100 for about a year, and it had one
    > 'feature' that had been a problem for me. If I am not quick enough on
    > the draw when changing batteries, it loses the date/time and even
    > worse the internal picture counter resets back to 1. I really like
    > for my pictures to have unique file names as assigned by the camera,
    > and once the counter resets there is no way for me to put it back
    > again.

    I've owned a Canon G1 and now a 300D, and I've never had that kind of problem
    with them.

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net
    Ethan Trewhitt, Jan 5, 2004

  3. John Feinberg

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Ethan Trewhitt" <> wrote in message
    > According to John Feinberg <>:
    > > I had been using a Minolta f100 for about a year, and it had one
    > > 'feature' that had been a problem for me. If I am not quick enough on
    > > the draw when changing batteries, it loses the date/time and even
    > > worse the internal picture counter resets back to 1. I really like
    > > for my pictures to have unique file names as assigned by the camera,
    > > and once the counter resets there is no way for me to put it back
    > > again.

    > I've owned a Canon G1 and now a 300D, and I've never had that kind of

    problem
    > with them.

    same with my canon S30

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)
    Tumbleweed, Jan 5, 2004
  4. John Feinberg

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Feinberg wrote:

    > I had been using a Minolta f100 for about a year, and it had one
    > 'feature' that had been a problem for me. If I am not quick enough on
    > the draw when changing batteries, it loses the date/time and even
    > worse the internal picture counter resets back to 1. I really like
    > for my pictures to have unique file names as assigned by the camera,
    > and once the counter resets there is no way for me to put it back
    > again.
    >
    > A week ago I dropped the f100 for the last time, and now the lens has
    > jammed and it won't work. So I am in the market for a new camera.
    > One feature I would really like is for the camera to remember the
    > date/time and picture counter even when the batteries are removed. If
    > there are no cameras that can do this, I'd be interested in hearing
    > which models can remember this information for more than, say, 5
    > seconds, with the batteries removed.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John Feinberg

    My Kodak gives me about 30 minutes to change the batteries. Usually
    takes me much less than 30 seconds, so no problem. I would expect most,
    if not all, of the Kodak line to be similar.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 5, 2004
  5. John Feinberg

    Ron Recer Guest

    >From: "Tumbleweed"
    >Date: 1/5/2004 4:03 PM Central Standard Time

    >"Ethan Trewhitt" <> wrote in message

    >> According to John Feinberg <>:
    >> > I had been using a Minolta f100 for about a year, and it had one
    >> > 'feature' that had been a problem for me. If I am not quick enough on
    >> > the draw when changing batteries, it loses the date/time and even
    >> > worse the internal picture counter resets back to 1. I really like
    >> > for my pictures to have unique file names as assigned by the camera,
    >> > and once the counter resets there is no way for me to put it back
    >> > again.

    >> I've owned a Canon G1 and now a 300D, and I've never had that kind of

    >problem
    >> with them.
    >>

    >same with my canon S30

    same with my Canon 10D

    Ron
    Ron Recer, Jan 5, 2004
  6. John Feinberg

    Pete Guest

    My Oly C-720 quite frequently forgets the date/time as the batteries
    approach low condition. PITA!
    Pete, Jan 5, 2004
  7. John Feinberg

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Most newer cameras, like computers, have an additional battery that maintains
    the date/time, camera settings, and numbering sequences.

    However, on the Nikon 990 forum, members had suggested the following for
    resuming lost sequence numbers.
    On a newly formated card, take one picture. Insert the card in a reader and
    rename the picture with the number you want -1. For example, if you want the
    next picture you take to have number xxxx0400.jpg, rename it to xxx0399.jpg.
    Place the card in the camera and take a picture. Check the number.

    Hope this helps
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 5, 2004
  8. My Oly-700 still have the time and date from the first time I set it.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 5, 2004
  9. John Feinberg

    Mark B. Guest

    "John Feinberg" <> wrote in message
    > I had been using a Minolta f100 for about a year, and it had one
    > 'feature' that had been a problem for me. If I am not quick enough on
    > the draw when changing batteries, it loses the date/time and even
    > worse the internal picture counter resets back to 1. I really like
    > for my pictures to have unique file names as assigned by the camera,
    > and once the counter resets there is no way for me to put it back
    > again.
    >
    > A week ago I dropped the f100 for the last time, and now the lens has
    > jammed and it won't work. So I am in the market for a new camera.
    > One feature I would really like is for the camera to remember the
    > date/time and picture counter even when the batteries are removed. If
    > there are no cameras that can do this, I'd be interested in hearing
    > which models can remember this information for more than, say, 5
    > seconds, with the batteries removed.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John Feinberg

    Most newer cameras, including my G1, D30, and 10D, have a separate battery
    (usually a watch battery) for maintaining that info.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jan 6, 2004
  10. John Feinberg

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <yRmKb.32988$>, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> writes:

    > My Oly-700 still have the time and date from the first time I set it.

    My Oly C 4040Z keeps the time, and pic number for 1 1/2 hours with
    no battery. (found out by testing)

    Azzz1588, Jan 6, 2004
  11. John Feinberg

    John Guest

    On 06 Jan 2004 04:31:21 GMT, Azzz1588 wrote:

    > In article <yRmKb.32988$>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <> writes:
    >
    >> My Oly-700 still have the time and date from the first time I set it.

    > My Oly C 4040Z keeps the time, and pic number for 1 1/2 hours with
    > no battery. (found out by testing)

    The manual for my new Panasonic FZ-10 states that the clock setting is
    stored in the camera for 3 months after the battery has been removed.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Jan 6, 2004
  12. (John Feinberg) writes:
    >I'd be interested in hearing
    >which models can remember this information for more than, say, 5
    >seconds, with the batteries removed.

    Canon G2 and A200 have lithium coin cells that power the clock when the
    main batteries are removed. Canon even recommends removing the G2's
    LiIon battery if you're not going to use the camera for a while.

    The A80 does not have a second battery. It seems to have a supercap
    that will run the clock for about 3 weeks without batteries, but after
    that you'll lose its settings.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jan 6, 2004
  13. John Feinberg

    y_p_w Guest

    et (HRosita) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Most newer cameras, like computers, have an additional battery that maintains
    > the date/time, camera settings, and numbering sequences.

    I think a lot of them are more likely than not to have a large
    capacitor. It would cost more to include an extra battery
    compartment. The cap can be fixed on the main board. My
    Canon S200 only has one battery, and the time has been accurate
    overnight without a battery.
    y_p_w, Jan 6, 2004
  14. you may have to try things out... my old fuji 1400 would forget the
    time, etc at battery changes. it would count pics to 9999
    my fuji S602 will remember the time and date, but the counter resets
    every time yo erase the CF card.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Jan 6, 2004
  15. John Feinberg

    David Krump Guest

    The C-720 is known for losing the time and date. Mine does it all the
    time. One of the people in the C-XXX newsgroup said he sent the
    camera in for repair and they did a firmware upgrade which took care
    of the problem.

    David Krump, Feb 5, 2004
  16. David Krump wrote:
    | The C-720 is known for losing the time and date. Mine does it
    | all the
    | time. One of the people in the C-XXX newsgroup said he sent
    | the
    | camera in for repair and they did a firmware upgrade which
    | took care
    | of the problem.

    A few months ago, I brought home a Minolta Z1 from Costco to see
    if I could live with it. I read in the owner's manual that the
    camera contains a backup battery buried inside it. This battery
    holds settings. The text said that the battery could only be
    replaced by an authorized service shop.

    I don't do that BS. I packed up the camera and got my money back.

    Richard
    Richard Steinfeld, Feb 15, 2004