    recommendations for other cameras in the $300 price range?

    Thanks!
    Marty
    Marty, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Marty

    DHB Guest

    Marty,
    I have a Canon A70 as well as the A40 which I upgraded from.
    The best feature of both cameras are their ability to perform well as a
    "point-n-shoot" or as full manual & they have options in between these
    extremes. The A70 has much more features in-between these 2 extremes plus
    the ability to record short 640x480 video clips with sound @ 15fps. If
    memory serves, 640x480 clips are limited to 30sec. & 320x240 to 3 minutes.

    30 seconds may seem short but it can be a lot of fun since most people
    still don't expect you to be recording video with a digital "still" camera,
    so very candid moments can be captured & shared with all on TV or PC.

    To get to the point, I still have & use both cameras & am very pleased
    with the quality, features & overall value. The A40 is now my "take with me
    everywhere camera" which I often let children use because they have so much
    fun with it & I later enjoy seeing things from their viewpoint if you will
    forgive the bad pun. This also allows me to enjoy using my A70 more freely
    because most people watch the child with the camera.

    Like any relatively inexpensive camera it's not perfect but if $300.00
    is about as much as you wish or can spend, than I feel this is a very good
    camera to use both a "point-n-shoot" as well as to be able to grow into it's
    abundance of semi & full manual features as your skills increase.

    Lastly as I am sure other will point out, you should by a "smart" NiMH
    AA battery charger, 2 sets of batteries & a larger CF memory card. If you
    can afford it, a 512MB card if you plan on doing video clips much as they
    chomp down a lot of memory. The A70 is not a power hog so a good set of
    rechargeable NiMH AAs will last well over 300 pictures & that includes some
    use of the LCD.

    This is just my 2 cents worth but I hope it helps.

    DHB

    DHB, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Marty

    JK Guest

    You may be able to find the Olympus C4000 for under $350. The
    C4000 is 4 megapixel, and has a lens that is f2.8 throughout its
    entire zoom range. That makes the C4000 much more useful
    than the A70 for taking photos in low light without using a flash
    or tripod. The C4000 has manual and semi automatic(aperture
    priority, shutter priority), plus a program mode which is full
    automatic.

    JK, Oct 18, 2003