Cameras banned from Carlsbad Caverns during bat flights

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by y_p_w, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    <http://www.nps.gov/cave/pphtml/newsdetail22725.html>
    <http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42140.html>

    Apparently too many people kept on taking flash
    pictures when there was a clear "no flash" rule.
    So they simply banned photography altogether.
    I don't know why anyone would try to take night
    photos of bats anyways.

    I rather understand it. Most people can't figure
    out how to turn off their flash. I was at the
    Monterey Bay Aquarium when they had the captive
    great white shark. Every couple of minutes there
    was an announcement that flash photography was not
    allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.
     
    y_p_w, Apr 12, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. y_p_w

    fishfry Guest

    In article <g3__f.2459$>,
    y_p_w <> wrote:

    > <http://www.nps.gov/cave/pphtml/newsdetail22725.html>
    > <http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42140.html>
    >
    > Apparently too many people kept on taking flash
    > pictures when there was a clear "no flash" rule.
    > So they simply banned photography altogether.
    > I don't know why anyone would try to take night
    > photos of bats anyways.
    >
    > I rather understand it. Most people can't figure
    > out how to turn off their flash. I was at the
    > Monterey Bay Aquarium when they had the captive
    > great white shark. Every couple of minutes there
    > was an announcement that flash photography was not
    > allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    > off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    > recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.



    Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all over
    the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players on the
    field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't you ever
    heard of the inverse square law??"

    Fat lotta good that would do ...
     
    fishfry, Apr 12, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. y_p_w

    ant Guest

    fishfry wrote:
    > In article <g3__f.2459$>,
    > y_p_w <> wrote:
    >
    >> Every couple of minutes there
    >> was an announcement that flash photography was not
    >> allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    >> off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    >> recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.

    >
    > Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all
    > over the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players
    > on the field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't
    > you ever heard of the inverse square law??"


    I can top that. Flashes going off at fireworks displays.
    Idiots.

    --
    ant
     
    ant, Apr 12, 2006
    #3
  4. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    fishfry wrote:

    > In article <g3__f.2459$>,
    > y_p_w <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >><http://www.nps.gov/cave/pphtml/newsdetail22725.html>
    >><http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42140.html>
    >>
    >>Apparently too many people kept on taking flash
    >>pictures when there was a clear "no flash" rule.
    >>So they simply banned photography altogether.
    >>I don't know why anyone would try to take night
    >>photos of bats anyways.
    >>
    >>I rather understand it. Most people can't figure
    >>out how to turn off their flash. I was at the
    >>Monterey Bay Aquarium when they had the captive
    >>great white shark. Every couple of minutes there
    >>was an announcement that flash photography was not
    >>allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    >>off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    >>recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.

    >
    >
    >
    > Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all over
    > the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players on the
    > field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't you ever
    > heard of the inverse square law??"
    >
    > Fat lotta good that would do ...


    I even see flashes coming from the upper deck.

    BTW - here's a non-flash shot of that great white.
    I had to take several to get a good one. I'm sure
    the flash takers just got the reflection of their
    flash off the aquarium glass wall.

    <http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/308/greatwhite4my.jpg>
     
    y_p_w, Apr 12, 2006
    #4
  5. y_p_w

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <g3__f.2459$>,
    says...
    > <http://www.nps.gov/cave/pphtml/newsdetail22725.html>
    > <http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42140.html>
    >
    > Apparently too many people kept on taking flash
    > pictures when there was a clear "no flash" rule.
    > So they simply banned photography altogether.
    > I don't know why anyone would try to take night
    > photos of bats anyways.
    >
    > I rather understand it. Most people can't figure
    > out how to turn off their flash. I was at the
    > Monterey Bay Aquarium when they had the captive
    > great white shark. Every couple of minutes there
    > was an announcement that flash photography was not
    > allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    > off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    > recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.


    Egyptian National Museum, a few years ago. I had just finished taking
    some available light pictures of the Tutankhamun golden funerary mask
    (flash not allowed), when a bunch of tourists came in and suddenly
    started bombarding the funerary mask with flashes. Quickly, quickly,
    before the museum guards could react. They didn't realise that the mask
    was behind a glass wall, so they would see the reflections of their
    flash in the glass wall, and they didn't care whether the Tutankhamun
    golden funerary mask might be damaged by the flashes. Now all
    photography is banned in the Egyptian national museum.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------
    Olympus 50X0, 7070, 8080, E300, E330 and E500 forum at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
    Olympus E500 resource - http://myolympus.org/E500/
     
    Alfred Molon, Apr 12, 2006
    #5
  6. y_p_w

    Freda Guest

    "y_p_w" <> wrote in message
    news:g3__f.2459$...
    > <http://www.nps.gov/cave/pphtml/newsdetail22725.html>
    > <http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42140.html>
    >
    > Apparently too many people kept on taking flash
    > pictures when there was a clear "no flash" rule.
    > So they simply banned photography altogether.
    > I don't know why anyone would try to take night
    > photos of bats anyways.
    >
    > I rather understand it. Most people can't figure
    > out how to turn off their flash. I was at the
    > Monterey Bay Aquarium when they had the captive
    > great white shark. Every couple of minutes there
    > was an announcement that flash photography was not
    > allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    > off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    > recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.
    >
    >

    Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to own cameras. This misuse/abuse of flash
    on every and any occasion has been my biggest bug bear in 30 plus years of
    photography!

    It's these same dumb people who can't read rules that probably helped to get
    photography banned for *everybody*, including serious amateurs, in so many
    places around the world over the years :(
     
    Freda, Apr 12, 2006
    #6
  7. y_p_w

    RobG Guest

    "Freda" <> wrote in

    >>

    > Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to own cameras.


    Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to breed. Unfortunately, there's all these
    do-gooder civil libertarians around...

    RobG
     
    RobG, Apr 12, 2006
    #7
  8. y_p_w

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:14:31 +0100, Freda wrote:

    > Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to own cameras. This misuse/abuse of flash
    > on every and any occasion has been my biggest bug bear in 30 plus years of
    > photography!

    When are you returning your camera.
    >
    > It's these same dumb people who can't read rules that probably helped to get
    > photography banned for *everybody*, including serious amateurs, in so many
    > places around the world over the years :(

    It is governments and administrations that ban photography not mutes.

    --
    Neil
    delete 'l' to reply
     
    Neil Ellwood, Apr 12, 2006
    #8
  9. y_p_w

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > BTW - here's a non-flash shot of that great white.
    > I had to take several to get a good one. I'm sure
    > the flash takers just got the reflection of their
    > flash off the aquarium glass wall.
    >
    > <http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/308/greatwhite4my.jpg>


    So... where's the good one that you mentioned?

    steve
     
    Steve Wolfe, Apr 12, 2006
    #9
  10. fishfry <> wrote in news:BLOCKSPAMfishfry-
    :

    >
    > Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all over
    > the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players on the
    > field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't you ever
    > heard of the inverse square law??"
    >
    > Fat lotta good that would do ...


    The battery manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank... =)
     
    Bob Harrington, Apr 12, 2006
    #10
  11. y_p_w

    Hoshisato Guest

    y_p_w wrote:
    > fishfry wrote:
    >
    > > In article <g3__f.2459$>,
    > > y_p_w <> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >><http://www.nps.gov/cave/pphtml/newsdetail22725.html>
    > >><http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/42140.html>
    > >>
    > >>Apparently too many people kept on taking flash
    > >>pictures when there was a clear "no flash" rule.
    > >>So they simply banned photography altogether.
    > >>I don't know why anyone would try to take night
    > >>photos of bats anyways.
    > >>
    > >>I rather understand it. Most people can't figure
    > >>out how to turn off their flash. I was at the
    > >>Monterey Bay Aquarium when they had the captive
    > >>great white shark. Every couple of minutes there
    > >>was an announcement that flash photography was not
    > >>allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    > >>off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    > >>recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all over
    > > the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players on the
    > > field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't you ever
    > > heard of the inverse square law??"
    > >
    > > Fat lotta good that would do ...

    >
    > I even see flashes coming from the upper deck.
    >
    > BTW - here's a non-flash shot of that great white.
    > I had to take several to get a good one. I'm sure
    > the flash takers just got the reflection of their
    > flash off the aquarium glass wall.
    >
    > <http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/308/greatwhite4my.jpg>


    The first couple of times I went to see the Mona Lisa (Joconde) in the
    Louvre there were no-flash photography signs everywhere and an almost
    hysterical guard would jump left and right to stop people flom taken
    flash-shots. Was very funny to watch actually. Those photos must have
    been very bad as there a very thick glass plate in front of the
    painting which reflected the flashes right back at you. Then a couple
    of years later, the guard was gone, lots of the no-flash signs were
    taken down and people were taking flash shots all the time. This
    probably created the rumour that the painting displayed is just a Xerox
    :)
     
    Hoshisato, Apr 12, 2006
    #11
  12. Today ant commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>> Every couple of minutes there
    >>> was an announcement that flash photography was not
    >>> allowed. Inevitably a couple of flashes would go
    >>> off as a response. Literally I could see the shark
    >>> recoil every time a flash went off in its eyes.

    >>
    >> Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes
    >> popping all over the place. It makes you want to stand up
    >> and yell, "The players on the field are too far away for
    >> your flash to do any good! Haven't you ever heard of the
    >> inverse square law??"

    >
    > I can top that. Flashes going off at fireworks displays.
    > Idiots.


    I remember from the Kodak Instamatic days people actually
    paying for flash cubes to waste their money on something a
    couple hundred feet away. Some folks, I guess, are just lazy
    and don't know/don't care how to turn off a flash that comes
    on automagically when the light is too low for a shake-free
    available light exposure. It is doubtful they even know
    they're doing it. It's like the rude morons with their looney
    tune cell phone music then LOUDLY talking for an hour in a
    public place, like a restaurant. They think it is their right
    and/or they don't even realize it is pissing off everyone in
    the place.

    Have you noticed as much as I have that literally in just the
    last couple years, politeness in all forms of human endeavor,
    particularly driving, has dropped to near zero?

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    "Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." – Henry
    Ford
     
    All Things Mopar, Apr 12, 2006
    #12
  13. y_p_w

    J. Clarke Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:14:31 +0100, Freda wrote:
    >
    >> Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to own cameras. This misuse/abuse of
    >> flash on every and any occasion has been my biggest bug bear in 30 plus
    >> years of photography!

    > When are you returning your camera.
    >>
    >> It's these same dumb people who can't read rules that probably helped to
    >> get photography banned for *everybody*, including serious amateurs, in so
    >> many places around the world over the years :(

    > It is governments and administrations that ban photography not mutes.


    If you have visions of making a living as a comedian, don't quit your day
    job.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
     
    J. Clarke, Apr 12, 2006
    #13
  14. y_p_w

    Sam Lowry Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:41:28 +1000, ant wrote:

    >> Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all
    >> over the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players
    >> on the field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't
    >> you ever heard of the inverse square law??"

    >
    > I can top that. Flashes going off at fireworks displays.
    > Idiots.


    And to top that, a few years ago there was a total eclipse near here, and
    yup, you guessed it, hundreds of flashes going off trying to capture the
    moon with the sun behind it.

    -SL
     
    Sam Lowry, Apr 12, 2006
    #14
  15. On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:27:14 GMT, Bob Harrington <> wrote:
    > fishfry <> wrote in news:BLOCKSPAMfishfry-
    > :
    >
    >>
    >> Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all over
    >> the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players on the
    >> field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't you ever
    >> heard of the inverse square law??"
    >>
    >> Fat lotta good that would do ...

    >
    > The battery manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank... =)


    One battery brand (Energizer, I think) even ran a commercial along those
    lines. Sports arena at night, lots and lots of camera flashes. Then
    fewer flashes, and then finally just one flash that kept going and going
    and going...

    I wonder if you could somehow sync together all of the 30,000
    pocket-camera flashes in the stands, whether that would be enough light
    to actually do something useful.

    -dms
     
    Daniel Silevitch, Apr 12, 2006
    #15
  16. y_p_w

    Terence Guest

    When was this? The last time I visited the Louvre (September 2005),
    there was no photography of any kind allowed in the Denon Wing, and
    enforcement appeared to be quite strict. I only had my camera hanging
    around my neck with the lens cap on and I was still approached more
    than once and told no photography as allowed.
     
    Terence, Apr 12, 2006
    #16
  17. y_p_w

    Hoshisato Guest

    Terence wrote:
    > When was this? The last time I visited the Louvre (September 2005),
    > there was no photography of any kind allowed in the Denon Wing, and
    > enforcement appeared to be quite strict. I only had my camera hanging
    > around my neck with the lens cap on and I was still approached more
    > than once and told no photography as allowed.


    I was there in 2003, I used to live in Paris and had to go to the
    Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, etc. with everybody visiting me. Atthat time I
    was baffled by the continuous barrage of flashes, maybe at that time
    photography was banned in the Louvre already, I don't seem to remember,
    but there was no guard around at all and one after the other took a
    flash shot.
     
    Hoshisato, Apr 12, 2006
    #17
  18. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Steve Wolfe wrote:

    >>BTW - here's a non-flash shot of that great white.
    >>I had to take several to get a good one. I'm sure
    >>the flash takers just got the reflection of their
    >>flash off the aquarium glass wall.
    >>
    >><http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/308/greatwhite4my.jpg>

    >
    >
    > So... where's the good one that you mentioned?


    Well - this was good compared to the out of focus
    or otherwise blurry shots I got. Probably a lot
    better results than all the flash takers got.
     
    y_p_w, Apr 12, 2006
    #18
  19. y_p_w

    ant Guest

    RobG wrote:
    > "Freda" <> wrote in
    >
    >>>

    >> Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to own cameras.

    >
    > Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to breed.


    Yep. They can breed, and they can vote.

    --
    ant
     
    ant, Apr 12, 2006
    #19
  20. y_p_w

    ant Guest

    Sam Lowry wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:41:28 +1000, ant wrote:
    >
    >>> Every time I go to a big sporting event, I see flashes popping all
    >>> over the place. It makes you want to stand up and yell, "The players
    >>> on the field are too far away for your flash to do any good! Haven't
    >>> you ever heard of the inverse square law??"

    >>
    >> I can top that. Flashes going off at fireworks displays.
    >> Idiots.

    >
    > And to top that, a few years ago there was a total eclipse near here,
    > and yup, you guessed it, hundreds of flashes going off trying to
    > capture the moon with the sun behind it.


    splutter! OK, you win! Holy crap.

    I have the flash turned off on both my digitals, and have to poke and prod
    buttons to make it go on again. the big camera complains sometimes, it puts
    up little signals and things saying it would really like to use its flash
    now, please, but I ignore it and let it suffer.


    --
    ant
     
    ant, Apr 12, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Doug Whittier

    Question: Advice for Carlsbad Cavern

    Doug Whittier, May 17, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    837
    Paul H.
    May 20, 2004
  2. cdcochran

    Doug Whittier ~ Visit to Carlsbad Caverns

    cdcochran, Jul 31, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    439
    cdcochran
    Jul 31, 2004
  3. 88gg@link

    CAMERAS & AIRPLANE FLIGHTS

    88gg@link, Aug 15, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    31
    Views:
    1,001
    no_name
    Aug 20, 2006
  4. Neil Patterson

    Photographing caverns

    Neil Patterson, Mar 29, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,051
    Neil Patterson
    Apr 2, 2007
  5. Neil Patterson

    Return to Luray Caverns

    Neil Patterson, Apr 18, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    776
Loading...

Share This Page