CAMERAS & AIRPLANE FLIGHTS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 88gg@link, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. 88gg@link

    88gg@link Guest

    Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
    flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?
    88gg@link, Aug 15, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. 88gg@link

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "88gg@link" wrote:
    >
    > Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
    > flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?


    the rules are slackening in the UK now, I think hand luggage is being
    allowed so hopefully this will knock on to places which have also
    instituted a ban.
    --
    Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Aug 15, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. 88gg@link

    cjcampbell Guest

    88gg@link wrote:
    > Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
    > flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?


    So far they have not been banned in the US, only in the UK.
    Nevertheless, I would not count on being allowed to carry a camera.
    Neither will throwing a tantrum and calling people "big brother"
    encourage others to allow you to carry one.

    Besides, who needs terrorists when Dell has exploding laptops? Imagine
    one of those going off in an airplane!
    cjcampbell, Aug 15, 2006
    #3
  4. 88gg@link

    Ron Hunter Guest

    88gg@link wrote:
    > Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on
    > a flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?


    Yes. Other than banning liquids and gels, and requiring shoes be
    removed and xrayed, the rules have not changed.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 15, 2006
    #4
  5. 88gg@link

    Mark B. Guest

    "88gg@link" <> wrote in message
    news:6IfEg.7163$...
    > Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.?


    Carry-ons, including cameras & electronics are still allowed on flights in
    the US. Only liquids & gels, with certain exceptions, are allowed. Doesn't
    anyone pay attention to the news?
    Mark B., Aug 15, 2006
    #5
  6. 88gg@link

    Mark B. Guest

    "cjcampbell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > 88gg@link wrote:
    >> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on
    >> a
    >> flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?

    >
    > So far they have not been banned in the US, only in the UK.
    > Nevertheless, I would not count on being allowed to carry a camera.


    http://tsa-7.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tsa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php
    Mark B., Aug 15, 2006
    #6
  7. 88gg@link

    bluezfolk Guest

    88gg@link wrote:
    > Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
    > flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?


    A few years ago I carried on a camera (35mm) and the TSA inspector had
    me turn it on, I guess to see that the lens moved out and that it
    wasn't just a camera body filled with something else.


    Eric
    bluezfolk, Aug 15, 2006
    #7
  8. Mark B. wrote:

    > Doesn't anyone pay attention to the news?


    Only to the headlines and the reactionary comments from radio talk
    shows, for the most part.


    --
    www.ericschreiber.com
    Eric Schreiber, Aug 15, 2006
    #8
  9. 88gg@link

    Jay Beckman Guest

    "88gg@link" <> wrote in message
    news:6IfEg.7163$...
    > Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
    > flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?


    On the same morning the new restrictions went into effect I traveled with my
    usual load of:
    - EOS 20D
    - 24-105 EF IS (Mounted On Camera)
    - 100-400 EF L IS
    - 10-22 EF-S
    - 580 Flash
    - Multiple Memory Cards
    - Card Reader and Mini USB Cable
    - 4Gb Thumb Drive
    - Tabletop Tripod
    - Dell 14" Laptop and Power Cord
    - Garmin GPS and Car Power Cord
    - PSP, Charger and several game discs
    - CD/DVD Caddy full of Music, Movies, Blank CDs and Blank DVDs

    Bag got XRay-d but not opened or swabbed and I was through secruity at my
    home airport in less time than it has sometimes taken in the past.
    Jay Beckman, Aug 15, 2006
    #9
  10. 88gg@link

    Cynicor Guest

    Jay Beckman wrote:
    > "88gg@link" <> wrote in message
    > news:6IfEg.7163$...
    >> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
    >> flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?

    >
    > On the same morning the new restrictions went into effect I traveled with my
    > usual load of:
    > - EOS 20D
    > - 24-105 EF IS (Mounted On Camera)
    > - 100-400 EF L IS
    > - 10-22 EF-S
    > - 580 Flash
    > - Multiple Memory Cards
    > - Card Reader and Mini USB Cable
    > - 4Gb Thumb Drive
    > - Tabletop Tripod
    > - Dell 14" Laptop and Power Cord
    > - Garmin GPS and Car Power Cord
    > - PSP, Charger and several game discs
    > - CD/DVD Caddy full of Music, Movies, Blank CDs and Blank DVDs


    Good thing the Dell laptop didn't explode.
    Cynicor, Aug 15, 2006
    #10
  11. 88gg@link

    Jay Beckman Guest

    "Cynicor" <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote in message
    news:D...
    >
    > Good thing the Dell laptop didn't explode.


    Mine's not on the recall list...
    Jay Beckman, Aug 15, 2006
    #11
  12. 88gg@link

    irwell Guest

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:14:55 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <>
    wrote:

    >"Cynicor" <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote in message
    >news:D...
    >>
    >> Good thing the Dell laptop didn't explode.

    >
    >Mine's not on the recall list...
    >

    Sony batteries seem to be the culprit, maybe others
    have the same potential for fire.
    I seem to recall in the 1980s when lithium batteries
    were being developed there was a fire at a research
    lab in Palo Alto and the local fire crew were at a
    loss on how to control it, as water apparently made
    a lithium fire worse.
    irwell, Aug 15, 2006
    #12
  13. 88gg@link

    Dave Cohen Guest

    cjcampbell wrote:
    > 88gg@link wrote:
    >> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
    >> flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?

    >
    > So far they have not been banned in the US, only in the UK.
    > Nevertheless, I would not count on being allowed to carry a camera.
    > Neither will throwing a tantrum and calling people "big brother"
    > encourage others to allow you to carry one.
    >
    > Besides, who needs terrorists when Dell has exploding laptops? Imagine
    > one of those going off in an airplane!
    >

    You're too late, at least one already has. I think overheat with
    possible fire is a more accurate description.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Aug 16, 2006
    #13
  14. 88gg@link

    cjcampbell Guest

    irwell wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:14:55 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Cynicor" <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote in message
    > >news:D...
    > >>
    > >> Good thing the Dell laptop didn't explode.

    > >
    > >Mine's not on the recall list...
    > >

    > Sony batteries seem to be the culprit, maybe others
    > have the same potential for fire.
    > I seem to recall in the 1980s when lithium batteries
    > were being developed there was a fire at a research
    > lab in Palo Alto and the local fire crew were at a
    > loss on how to control it, as water apparently made
    > a lithium fire worse.


    One news report quoted a guy who said he took his flaming laptop to the
    sink and he thought he had it out, but when he took it back to the
    table the fire broke out again worse than before. If your laptop does
    catch fire, how do you put it out?
    cjcampbell, Aug 16, 2006
    #14
  15. 88gg@link

    ASAAR Guest

    On 15 Aug 2006 19:04:44 -0700, cjcampbell wrote:

    > One news report quoted a guy who said he took his flaming laptop to the
    > sink and he thought he had it out, but when he took it back to the
    > table the fire broke out again worse than before. If your laptop does
    > catch fire, how do you put it out?


    Submerge it in something other than water. Perhaps you have an
    old turkey fryer on hand with a 20 gallon drum of cooking oil, or a
    big drum of waste Pennzoil? I hesitate to mention kerosene, but I'm
    sure some chem. major would have a good answer for you.
    ASAAR, Aug 16, 2006
    #15
  16. 88gg@link

    cjcampbell Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On 15 Aug 2006 19:04:44 -0700, cjcampbell wrote:
    >
    > > One news report quoted a guy who said he took his flaming laptop to the
    > > sink and he thought he had it out, but when he took it back to the
    > > table the fire broke out again worse than before. If your laptop does
    > > catch fire, how do you put it out?

    >
    > Submerge it in something other than water. Perhaps you have an
    > old turkey fryer on hand with a 20 gallon drum of cooking oil, or a
    > big drum of waste Pennzoil? I hesitate to mention kerosene, but I'm
    > sure some chem. major would have a good answer for you.


    I have read that the preferred method of putting out a lithium fire is
    with copper dust propelled by an inert gas. I am not likely to have a
    20 gallon drum of cooking oil on the plane, or any copper dust, either.
    The Halon fire extinguishers on aircraft are no good for class D fires.
    (Yes, I know that Halon is a chlorofluorocarbon that was banned by the
    Montreal protocol, but it is still widely used on airplanes.)

    If my laptop caught fire on the ground my first course of action would
    be defenestration.
    cjcampbell, Aug 16, 2006
    #16
  17. 88gg@link

    ASAAR Guest

    On 15 Aug 2006 22:49:38 -0700, cjcampbell wrote:

    > I have read that the preferred method of putting out a lithium fire is
    > with copper dust propelled by an inert gas. I am not likely to have a
    > 20 gallon drum of cooking oil on the plane, or any copper dust, either.
    > The Halon fire extinguishers on aircraft are no good for class D fires.
    > (Yes, I know that Halon is a chlorofluorocarbon that was banned by the
    > Montreal protocol, but it is still widely used on airplanes.)
    >
    > If my laptop caught fire on the ground my first course of action would
    > be defenestration.


    I don't know whether to ask "On the ground?" or "You or the
    laptop?" :)

    Reported on the news today was that the danger is minimal because
    the rate that the batteries become torches is only a little above
    300/year. But they added that one blaze occurred in a small truck
    where it was located near a glove compartment filled with ammunition
    or some kind of explosives. They added that the truck was
    destroyed. The driver wasn't mentioned.
    ASAAR, Aug 16, 2006
    #17
  18. 88gg@link

    Cynicor Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On 15 Aug 2006 19:04:44 -0700, cjcampbell wrote:
    >
    >> One news report quoted a guy who said he took his flaming laptop to the
    >> sink and he thought he had it out, but when he took it back to the
    >> table the fire broke out again worse than before. If your laptop does
    >> catch fire, how do you put it out?

    >
    > Submerge it in something other than water. Perhaps you have an
    > old turkey fryer on hand with a 20 gallon drum of cooking oil, or a
    > big drum of waste Pennzoil? I hesitate to mention kerosene, but I'm
    > sure some chem. major would have a good answer for you.
    >


    That won't work either. I usually smoke my laptops for Thanksgiving, not
    deep-fry them.
    Cynicor, Aug 16, 2006
    #18
  19. 88gg@link

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:47:52 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

    >> Submerge it in something other than water. Perhaps you have an
    >> old turkey fryer on hand with a 20 gallon drum of cooking oil, or a
    >> big drum of waste Pennzoil? I hesitate to mention kerosene, but I'm
    >> sure some chem. major would have a good answer for you.

    >
    > That won't work either. I usually smoke my laptops for Thanksgiving, not
    > deep-fry them.


    In that case you'll be better off taking some lithium pills which
    will make it easier to avoid dealing with Sony's.
    ASAAR, Aug 16, 2006
    #19
  20. 88gg@link

    no_name Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > 88gg@link wrote:
    >
    >> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been
    >> on a flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big
    >> brother"?

    >
    >
    > Yes. Other than banning liquids and gels, and requiring shoes be
    > removed and xrayed, the rules have not changed.


    Saw one pretty dumb image of that though.

    Apparently in order to keep anyone from taking chemicals on an airplane
    that might be mixed to create a dangerous explosive liquid, they have
    everyone dump any liquids they're carrying into a single common container

    .... mixing everything together.

    I dunno, but there might be some things innocently carried that don't
    want to play well with others.

    How do you tell the difference between liquids that are deliberately
    chosen to mix into a chemical explosive and chemicals that cause a
    chemical explosion if inadvertently mixed?
    no_name, Aug 16, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dave Day

    Flights in Canada

    Dave Day, Oct 30, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    703
    Old Gringo
    Oct 31, 2004
  2. geoffrey brown

    flights simulator 2004

    geoffrey brown, May 27, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    623
    Pilbs
    May 27, 2005
  3. y_p_w
    Replies:
    49
    Views:
    1,048
    ASAAR
    Apr 18, 2006
  4. aum

    Free US flights anyone?

    aum, Apr 24, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    278
    s.te.v.e.
    Apr 25, 2006
  5. Lodi

    NZ longhaul flights travel site

    Lodi, May 15, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    332
Loading...

Share This Page