Camera theft - has it happened to you ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon Coolpix
    5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
    conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often stolen
    from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
    was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
    less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
    that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand the
    thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
    and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
    Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
    than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
    shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.

    How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
    you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
    photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
    hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in popular
    tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    ajacobs2 Guest

    You need a GLOCK camera theft deterrent.

    ajacobs2, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Allegro Guest

    Glad you were able to fend him off. Attitude is one of the most
    important things in these situations and you had it. Any potential thief
    will usually just find someone else easier to target. This has never
    happened to me but I like to take a monopod with me whenever I can. Even
    the lightest one makes a good weapon and can look somewhat intimidating
    when used as a walking stick.

    Allegro, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:21:00 GMT, "ajacobs2"
    <> wrote:

    >You need a GLOCK camera theft deterrent.

    Crocodile Dundee.... 'Now that's a knife....' as you pull out your
    18in scythe.

    MJ

    , Jul 19, 2003
  5. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Lionel Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:37:42 +0100, in
    <bfbhrj$dafvv$-berlin.de>, "Rachael the Wiccan Rat"
    <> said:

    >How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ?

    It hasn't yet. <touches wood> And if it did, I'd most likely react in
    much the same way you did.

    Which reminds me, I need to take out an insurance policy on my gear.

    Lionel, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Steve Wilbur Guest

    In article <bfbhrj$dafvv$-berlin.de>, "Rachael the
    Wiccan Rat" <> wrote:
    > How do you guys deal with this, if it happens

    An armed society is a polite society.

    Steve Wilbur, Jul 19, 2003
  7. "Rachael the Wiccan Rat" <> wrote in message
    > I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon

    Coolpix
    > 5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
    > conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often

    stolen
    > from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
    > was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
    > less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
    > that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand

    the
    > thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
    > and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
    > Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
    > than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
    > shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.
    >
    > How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
    > you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
    > photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
    > hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in

    popular
    > tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.

    A pickpocket got my camera at a crowded street fair in Paris. I was upset,
    of course, but there was nothing to do. There were no police in sight. It
    was the last day of the trip, and I didn't see any point in wasting it by
    finding a police station and making a complaint.

    Fortunately, I had just the day before filled a memory card, and replaced
    it, so I had most of the photos. My homeowner insurance covers thefts, but
    it had a deductable so large that I only got $100 from the insurance company
    for a camera that cost $600.

    It can be dangerous to argue with a thief. You were lucky this time.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jul 19, 2003
  8. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Insure all your equipment with Smith & Wesson!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    George Kerby Guest

    On 7/19/03 2:09 PM, in article ultramafic-1907031109450001@192.168.0.100,
    "Steve Wilbur" <> wrote:

    > In article <bfbhrj$dafvv$-berlin.de>, "Rachael the
    > Wiccan Rat" <> wrote:
    >> How do you guys deal with this, if it happens

    > An armed society is a polite society.

    INDEED!
    See my response above to: Re: Any one do a mini-few-sec digital handheld
    videocam for re-attack after violent road rage attack?

    George Kerby, Jul 19, 2003
  10. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    LesU Guest

    In Vancouver for a marathon, wife had a brand new Nikon.
    It was stolan/pickpocekted. Had bought it the day before
    with an American Express card, got a new one.

    Now wife carries it with lanyard around her neck

    LES UNGERLEIDER

    LesU, Jul 19, 2003
  11. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    JK Guest

    I am not completely sure that he wanted to steal your camera. It looks like
    he was more likely trying to play with your head, and get you frightened.
    There are plenty of a**holes walking around. Of course there was still a
    chance that he might have wanted to take your camera. Walking around
    the streets, many of these characters will say you dropped something
    when you didn't, or they might tell a guy his fly is open when it isn't.

    JK, Jul 19, 2003
  12. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Mike Fields Guest

    Get one of those "insured by Smith & Wesson" stickers ...

    I keep hoping someone will try something like that with
    our friends wife -- she is very nice AND very good at
    self defense (only about 5' 3"). Sucker will be lucky to
    walk again when she is done !!

    --
    Mike "mikey" Fields
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

    Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
    Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

    Mike Fields, Jul 20, 2003
  13. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Paul Guest

    I had a very nice young man try and grab my Nikon from me on a day trip to
    london!, lucky for me, but unlucky for him the strap was over my shoulder
    and it did not let go.
    I managed to grab hold of him, and get a little judo training in at the same
    time, this left him with a broken wrist and at least 2 teeth missing, i now
    know that this was not the way to do it as i was charged with assult on a
    minor, the charges were later dropped but it fucked up my day out and
    worried my wife to death!

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 20, 2003
  14. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    james Guest

    Unless it was here in Texas, then we would declare it a holiday !!!
    james

    james, Jul 20, 2003
  15. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Pat Chaney Guest

    Pat Chaney, Jul 20, 2003
  16. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    George Kerby Guest

    On 7/19/03 6:48 PM, in article BB3F975A.370B8%, "Pat Chaney"
    <> wrote:

    > On 20/7/03 12:40 am, "james" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unless it was here in Texas, then we would declare it a holiday !!!

    > Surely in Texas he'd have been shot?
    >

    > Pat

    Firing squad

    George Kerby, Jul 20, 2003
  17. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Jay Freedman Guest

    Pat Chaney wrote:
    > On 20/7/03 12:40 am, "james" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unless it was here in Texas, then we would declare it a holiday !!!

    > Surely in Texas he'd have been shot?
    >

    > Pat

    Here in Pennsylvania, the Smith & Wesson is more often in the hands of the
    criminal, not the victim -- see
    http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/070103_nw_scootermurder.html.

    Jay

    Jay Freedman, Jul 20, 2003
  18. "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message

    > A pickpocket got my camera at a crowded street fair in Paris. I was

    upset,
    > of course, but there was nothing to do. There were no police in sight.

    It
    > was the last day of the trip, and I didn't see any point in wasting it by
    > finding a police station and making a complaint.
    >
    > Fortunately, I had just the day before filled a memory card, and replaced
    > it, so I had most of the photos. My homeowner insurance covers thefts,

    but
    > it had a deductable so large that I only got $100 from the insurance

    company
    > for a camera that cost $600.

    That's a bummer, for sure.

    > It can be dangerous to argue with a thief. You were lucky this time.

    I've done it before - I am quite handy in a few forms of martial art, so I
    wasn't worried. I probably could put out his eyes had I meant to.

    Just ask the lad who tried to mug me after seeing me come out of the post
    office with what he assumed would be alot of money -- I think I left him
    with *some* of his nose un-broken, but I can't be sure as there seemed to be
    a great deal of blood from it as he ran off clutching nothing but his nose,
    heheheheh.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Jul 20, 2003
  19. "Bill Crocker" <> wrote in message
    > Insure all your equipment with Smith & Wesson!

    As has been suggested by a couple of people here - but not an option as the
    UK is alittle more uptight about guns than other countries.

    I quite like the slogan sticker idea though - where can I get some of those
    over here I wonder ?

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Jul 20, 2003
  20. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > I had a very nice young man try and grab my Nikon from me on a day trip to
    > london!, lucky for me, but unlucky for him the strap was over my shoulder
    > and it did not let go.
    > I managed to grab hold of him, and get a little judo training in at the

    same
    > time, this left him with a broken wrist and at least 2 teeth missing, i

    now
    > know that this was not the way to do it as i was charged with assult on a
    > minor, the charges were later dropped but it fucked up my day out and
    > worried my wife to death!

    That sort of thing bugs the shit out of me (pardon my french) - the guy
    tried to steal your property, you stopped him and happened to hurt him for
    his trouble - and *you* get charged. FFS.

    As I said elsewhere in the thread - a lad (and his two mates) tried to mug
    me a year or so back when I was coming out of the post office (with my
    disabilty benefits check that I'd just cashed, as I get one cos I'm half
    blind). I knew what he was about because I clocked him clocking me (haf
    blind doesn't mean street-stupid, afterall), and when he bundled into me
    with his friends and tried to put his hand in my coat pocket to take my
    purse (which I had stealthily transfered to another pocket when I realised
    he was following me), I broke his nose. Maybe it was because I am a half
    blind woman of not exactly huge stature, but the police (who were called by
    a shop owner who saw them try to mug me) actually commended me (off the
    record) and as he didn't come forward to press charges against me, no more
    was said about it.
    However, they did say that it was known that a gang of youths had been
    mugging people in the area and it had just been a matter of identifying
    them - to which I replied, "Well, go look for a lad about yey high with a
    broken face."

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Jul 20, 2003