    Seeing that this is about $120 worth of memory, this would be my #1 buying
    decision for a camera.

    Who has cameras that do this?
    Robert Haston, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Robert Haston

    Vance Green Guest

    Nobody that I know of.

    Incompatible connectors, for one, lack
    of ability to xfer data to any external storage system
    without OS and relevant drivers, or a storage subsystem
    with the intelligence to get the data out of the camera for another.

    The "thumb drives" have NO "smarts" of their own.

    Vance Green, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Robert Haston

    Robertwgross Guest

    Robert wrote:
    >I have 2 256 meg USB "thumb drives". I would like a camera that could
    >transfer files from its own memory to the USB drive directly, not through a
    >PC.

    Normally a USB storage device can be accessed from a host or controller. Your
    camera is a storage device, and your thumb drives are storage devices, but you
    don't have a host or controller.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Robert Haston

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Robert Haston wrote:

    > I have 2 256 meg USB "thumb drives". I would like a camera that could
    > transfer files from its own memory to the USB drive directly, not through a
    > PC.
    >
    > Seeing that this is about $120 worth of memory, this would be my #1 buying
    > decision for a camera.
    >
    > Who has cameras that do this?

    Nobody..

    Some cameras will write out their USB ports, but require a computer to drive
    them. Most have proprietary USB connectors.
    Jim Townsend, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Robert Haston

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Vance Green <> wrote:
    > Nobody that I know of.
    >
    > Incompatible connectors, for one, lack
    > of ability to xfer data to any external storage system
    > without OS and relevant drivers, or a storage subsystem
    > with the intelligence to get the data out of the camera for another.
    >
    > The "thumb drives" have NO "smarts" of their own.

    <snip quoted message incorrectly placed at bottom>

    There are a little smarts, to make it act like a disk drive, and to
    level the wear on the flash.

    In the next few years "On the go" (I'm not sure of the capitalisation
    or spacing) is about to change this, to add the capability for cameras
    and stuff to talk to each other, through a connector that looks like a USB
    one.

    The amount of CPU needed to access a USB disk drive is a fraction
    of that needed to take a picture.

    And that CPU is getting cheaper and cheaper.

    There are a few USB devices that are standardised enough that you can
    write a generic driver for them, in not too much space.
    PPTP compatible cameras, USB storage, mice, keyboards, some audio.
    The rest pretty much need drivers written for them.

    --
    http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: | Ian Stirling.
    Windows 2000, software for next millenia. <latin pun alert> - Ian Stirling.
    Ian Stirling, Oct 11, 2003