Camera suggestions: Quick, low light, compact...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Salsaholic, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Salsaholic

    Salsaholic Guest

    Hi,
    I'm looking for a new camera, replacing my Canon S10.
    My main requirements for such a camera are (in order of priority):
    - fast (shutter delay as well as picture storage and start up)
    - good low light qualities (at least 800 ASA, good aperture values
    would be nice)
    - not too big (not necessarly ultra compact, but I wouldn't mind...)
    - at least 2x optical zoom
    - preferably MircoDrive compatible, but SD would also be an option

    I've seen technical data of the new Fuji F700 and it looks very
    interesting, especially the up to 1600 ASA (although the limitation
    lower resoltion is a disadvantage).
    I like the Canon S50/S45, especially as I always loved my S10, but
    they're no improvement regarding low light situations.

    Background: I often take pictures at concerts (see
    http://www.salsaholic.de/review21.htm for examples), where flash makes
    no sense (and destroys the ambience), so good low light capabilities
    combined with speed are very important for me (musicians don't tend to
    wait until I finally take my shot...).

    I would apreciate any recommendations, experiences etc.

    Kind regards,
    Klaus
    www.salsaholic.de
    Salsaholic, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Salsaholic

    Mike C Guest

    Take a look at Sony V1 as it seems to meet your need.

    www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page11.asp

    The Sony DSC V1 is compact, it is basically the F717 without the long lens,
    so it is equipped with the performance and feature of F717, which is fast
    (particular in its low light AF capability), its lens aperture is smaller
    than F717 but compensate by better wide angle (34mm vs F717's 38mm) can
    reach up to ISO 2500 in night-shot only, in monochrome without resolution
    compensation, other than that, in normal mode, the max. ISO is 800. The V1
    has less noise than its current competitors, ie. Nikon 5400 & Canon G5.

    Mike C, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Salsaholic

    JK Guest

    If you want a camera with a lens that lets in plenty of light on the
    telephoto end, you will need a camera that is larger than shirt
    pocket size. The 800 ISO mode on many of the camera that
    have it is quite noisy. An 800 ISO mode would be very useful
    if it is low noise. The best idea would be a digital slr, but since
    they are still quite expensive, a lower priced choice would
    be the Sony f717. It is a bit bulky though. It has a lens that is
    f2-2.4, 38-190mm equivalent, and has an ISO 800 mode.
    It is 5 megapixels. If you can get by with a lens that doesn't
    have as great telephoto ability, the Olympus C5050 is much
    more compact, has a lens that is f1.8-2.6, 35-105mm equivalent,
    but doesn't have an ISO 800 mode. The Canon G3 or G5 has
    greater telephoto, being 35-140mm equivalent. The lenses
    are f2-f3. No ISO 800 mode though.

    JK, Aug 13, 2003