Camera Suggestions....please.....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by xxnonexspamxnonexx@tampascanner.info, Jun 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have some people who work in the field and use, obviously, digital cameras to
    take the pictures for their work.

    The problem I am having is that as they need to replace worn out cameras they
    can not find cameras which meet the number one requirement, TIME and DATE
    stamping.

    Many like the Kodak's and others will do DATE, but not time stamping.

    So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:

    1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA BASED
    FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a hardware function of
    the camera.

    2) SD card format
    3) Min. 4MP
    4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is expressly
    prohibited from use in this task.)

    Finding ones that do #1 has proven tough for many of the field users. Some will
    do date, but not time, or neither.

    These are going to be used alot, and they can not be some $999+ unit either.

    Comments suggestions, please.

    Thank you in advance.

    ----
    Support your LOCAL scanner frequency site and groups!
    http://www.wpascanner.com http://www.tampascanner.info
    http://www.trunker.info - Trunker support
    , Jun 20, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I have some people who work in the field and use, obviously, digital
    > cameras to take the pictures for their work.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that as they need to replace worn out
    > cameras they
    > can not find cameras which meet the number one requirement, TIME and
    > DATE stamping.
    >
    > Many like the Kodak's and others will do DATE, but not time stamping.
    >
    > So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:
    >
    > 1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA
    > BASED FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a
    > hardware function of the camera.
    >
    > 2) SD card format
    > 3) Min. 4MP
    > 4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is
    > expressly prohibited from use in this task.)
    >
    > Finding ones that do #1 has proven tough for many of the field users.
    > Some will
    > do date, but not time, or neither.
    >
    > These are going to be used alot, and they can not be some $999+ unit
    > either.
    >
    > Comments suggestions, please.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > ----

    May we ask why you need this specific function. If you are talking
    about evidence for law enforcement for example, some of the higher end Canon
    (and I would guess Nikon) have that capability and are certified for that
    use.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jun 20, 2006

  3. Tony Rice Guest

    wrote in

    #1 can be obtained with a $10 point and shoot camera

    I dont think #2-#4 can be obtained on a camera that supports #1.
    Tony Rice, Jun 20, 2006
  4. iws Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have some people who work in the field and use, obviously, digital

    cameras to
    > take the pictures for their work.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that as they need to replace worn out cameras

    they
    > can not find cameras which meet the number one requirement, TIME and DATE
    > stamping.
    >
    > Many like the Kodak's and others will do DATE, but not time stamping.
    >
    > So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:
    >
    > 1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA BASED
    > FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a hardware

    function of
    > the camera.
    >
    > 2) SD card format
    > 3) Min. 4MP
    > 4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is

    expressly
    > prohibited from use in this task.)
    >
    > Finding ones that do #1 has proven tough for many of the field users. Some

    will
    > do date, but not time, or neither.
    >
    > These are going to be used alot, and they can not be some $999+ unit

    either.

    > Comments suggestions, please.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    My Canon A620 will date and time stamp but only in the "Postcard" mode which
    has a lower resolution.
    iws, Jun 20, 2006
  5. Andy Hewitt Guest

    <> wrote:

    [Snipped Text]

    > So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:
    >
    > 1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA BASED
    > FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a hardware
    > function of the camera.
    >
    > 2) SD card format
    > 3) Min. 4MP
    > 4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is expressly
    > prohibited from use in this task.)
    >
    > Finding ones that do #1 has proven tough for many of the field users. Some
    > will do date, but not time, or neither.
    >
    > These are going to be used alot, and they can not be some $999+ unit either.
    >
    > Comments suggestions, please.

    I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the info
    box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type. It has an SD card
    slot, 6MP, and has a 12x optical zoom. It cost me £241 over here in the
    UK, so about $300 or so over there I guess.

    I would say that exceeds your requirements quite easily.

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/Home.html>
    Andy Hewitt, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Andy Hewitt <> wrote:
    : <> wrote:

    : [Snipped Text]

    : > So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:
    : >
    : > 1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA
    : > BASED FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a
    : > hardware function of the camera.
    : >
    : > 2) SD card format
    : > 3) Min. 4MP
    : > 4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is
    : > expressly prohibited from use in this task.)

    : I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the
    : info box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type. It has an SD
    : card slot, 6MP, and has a 12x optical zoom. It cost me ?241 over here in
    : the UK, so about $300 or so over there I guess.

    : I would say that exceeds your requirements quite easily.

    That would be the exif data. Most any digital camera that uses Jpeg will
    do this (and many others as well). But since the OP specificly required
    the date and time be imprinted on the image and not be using exif data,
    this wouldn't fit the requirements.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Jun 20, 2006
  7. Guest

    Andy Hewitt wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > [Snipped Text]
    >
    > > So I am going to ask for input on cameras which meet the following:
    > >
    > > 1) MUST IMPRINT BOTH TIME and DATE on the photo AND MUST be a CAMERA BASED
    > > FUNCTION, no extra step software using EXIF data. Must be a hardware
    > > function of the camera.
    > >
    > > 2) SD card format
    > > 3) Min. 4MP
    > > 4) 3x Minimum OPTICAL zoom (digital zoom is irrelevant, its use is expressly
    > > prohibited from use in this task.)
    > >
    > > Finding ones that do #1 has proven tough for many of the field users. Some
    > > will do date, but not time, or neither.
    > >
    > > These are going to be used alot, and they can not be some $999+ unit either.
    > >
    > > Comments suggestions, please.

    > I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the info
    > box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type.

    That's in the EXIF data, though, not imprinted on the image, isn't it?

    --
    Hywel
    , Jun 20, 2006
  8. Andy Hewitt Guest

    <> wrote:

    [Snipped Text]

    > > I've just checked a file from my Panasonic Lumix FZ7, in iPhoto the info
    > > box shows date, time, resolution, file size and type.

    > That's in the EXIF data, though, not imprinted on the image, isn't it?

    That's true I guess, nevertheless, surely the data is *there*. It might
    have to be what the OP has to compromise on. After all, there are plenty
    of apps that'll read the EXIF data.

    Another option might be to look at a Digital camcorder, they usually
    date and time stamp, and usually take stills.

    Andy Hewitt, Jun 20, 2006
  9. DavidH Guest

    fuji finepix s9000 / s9500 will do it
    DavidH, Jun 20, 2006
  10. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:27:33 +0100, (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

    >That's true I guess, nevertheless, surely the data is *there*. It might
    >have to be what the OP has to compromise on. After all, there are plenty
    >of apps that'll read the EXIF data.

    Using software to read EXIF data and imprint the software is not acceptable or
    compromisable due to the requirements that the photo be imprinted with date AND
    time by hardware.

    Using software adds a step to the process. A step to which can be forgotten, the
    image destroyed, and EXIF data manipulation. Not acceptable.

    These feature was available in most earlier bunches of digitals, but the more
    recent 4-6MP bunch all seem to do: date, or none, but not date AND time. The
    consensus from the mfgs. seems to be "sheeple were confused about how to turn it
    off and complained, so we removed it entirely." Gee thanks!

    ----
    Support your LOCAL scanner frequency site and groups!
    http://www.wpascanner.com http://www.tampascanner.info
    http://www.trunker.info - Trunker support
    , Jun 21, 2006
  11. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:07:37 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <>
    wrote:

    > May we ask why you need this specific function. If you are talking
    >about evidence for law enforcement for example, some of the higher end Canon
    >(and I would guess Nikon) have that capability and are certified for that
    >use.

    Similar, but these cameras are out of the range of the field personnel who must
    purchase their own cameras.

    4MP minimum, 5-6MP is fine, anything more a waste.

    The date AND time needs to be stamped/imprinted on the image by the camera to
    KISS and prevent the stamp from being forgotten, image loss, EXIF data
    manipulation etc..

    Most earlier gen digitals support this, but it seems to be either: date on/off
    or none for the current crop.
    ----