    Gene Palmiter
    freebridge design group
    www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Gene Palmiter

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:14:41 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the things
    >she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
    >thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or take
    >out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and get
    >in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old and
    >doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
    >anti-shake technology soon too!
    >
    >She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and since
    >she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I would
    >want at least 4 megapixels.
    >
    >Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would put
    >it up for the group

    Use the DPReview camera search tool, but given the total set of
    requirements I wouldn't hold much hope. Large zoom that fits in a purse is
    a challenge, but if she's adamant on a docking station unless I've missed
    something that narrows the choice to Kodak only.

    I'd love to have a Ferrari that does 200mph+, runs on regular gas while
    getting 30 mpg and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. However, just
    because that's what I want doesn't mean my wants mesh with current reality.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Thanks...for your quick reply and for the information. Another friend has a
    Kodak with a dock...I didn't know they were the only ones that had it. I
    have the dpreview database search open now but have found that, as you said,
    she may not be able to have the zoom. Your information on Kodak makes my
    search easier...I think the dock is the most important of the features she
    requires. (right now she has an Oly 3030 and has me take the photos off the
    card ...she just won't learn how to do it!)

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Gene Palmiter

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:00:01 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks...for your quick reply and for the information. Another friend has a
    >Kodak with a dock...I didn't know they were the only ones that had it. I
    >have the dpreview database search open now but have found that, as you said,
    >she may not be able to have the zoom. Your information on Kodak makes my
    >search easier...I think the dock is the most important of the features she
    >requires. (right now she has an Oly 3030 and has me take the photos off the
    >card ...she just won't learn how to do it!)

    I was just checking the buyer's guide myself. It's more limited than what I
    remembered.

    There are programs which will automate transfers from card readers and usb
    connected cameras.However, she uses a computer and can't/won't simply copy
    files off a card? I hope she's running a modern OS and not Win98 that will
    require special drivers that are more and more hard to find for today's
    products and is more prone to upsets and glitches that may cause problems
    with the docking station itself. I have a colleague with just this
    situation with his wife. He refuses to install the Kodak software on the
    new PC and just transfers the files himself instead of arguing or dealing
    with it breaking again.
    ----------

    Ed Ruf, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Yes...she is limited in this way. I have to go up to her house every once in
    a while to fix up her machine. I have to dumb things down for her. I really
    aught to be paid more!

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Gene Palmiter

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:14:41 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:

    > A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the things
    > she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
    > thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or take
    > out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and get
    > in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old and
    > doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
    > anti-shake technology soon too!
    >
    > She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and since
    > she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I would
    > want at least 4 megapixels.
    >
    > Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would put
    > it up for the group

    Besides the Kodak line, Fuji also offers a dock/cradle for some of
    their cameras. A few of the older models (A310, A330) that use AA
    batteries don't include the cradle with the camera and it has to be
    purchased seperately. A month or two ago some of the stores were
    selling the A330 at a reduced price and also including the cradle at
    no extra charge. I don't know if the cradle has the ability to
    charge NiMH AA batteries though.

    More along the lines of what you're looking for are Fuji's F440
    and F450. They're very small and have a square shape, and the
    include a dock can be used to transfer files to a computer as well
    as to charge the camera's lithium battery. The lens doesn't have an
    extremely wide range, but at 3.4x it's a bit larger that the average
    zoom, and it does retract completely into the camera's body, which
    is *very* thin. The F440 is 4mp, and the F450 has a 5mp sensor.
    There's also an F455, which I believe is a slightly larger (wider)
    version of the F450, for those that prefer a more traditional shape
    for camera bodies.

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f440-review/index.shtml

    http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/c...re&lpage=/digital/cameras/reviews.php&flash=7

    http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/f455/index.php?page=more&flash=7

    ASAAR, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Gene Palmiter

    Stewy Guest

    In article <5Cmwe.7504$GP6.4631@trndny03>,
    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote:

    > A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the things
    > she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
    > thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or take
    > out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and get
    > in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old and
    > doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
    > anti-shake technology soon too!
    >
    > She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and since
    > she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I would
    > want at least 4 megapixels.
    >
    > Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would put
    > it up for the group

    Take a look at the Fuji models F440, F450 or F455.
    All use a cradle for charging and downloading pix. The cameras are
    smaller than an MD walkman and there is a 3x optical zoom.

    Stewy, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Gene Palmiter

    railfan Guest

    I've seen in stores quite a few HP cameras with docking stations if
    that will help expand the choices.

    Bob Boudreau

    railfan, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Gene Palmiter, Jun 29, 2005