camera shake/blur

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dohc46, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. dohc46

    dohc46 Guest

    Better yet, finger shake!
    DSLR Rebel XT using 70-300 USM IS Canon.
    I wanted to experiment at dusk to see if I could get a clear/sharp
    picture without blur by slowing down the speed to 1 second...by
    changing the ISO and Fstop with 1 second the exposure was just right.
    About 80 yards away was a sign with many words and I was using a
    tripod. When looking at the sign in focus I could easily read the
    words. btw i tried with IS on and off and I also enabled the mirror
    lock. Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.

    Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    of these solve the problem.

    The sign was very stationary. Also had it zoomed to 300mm. Of course
    at that distance the flash was not enabled.

    The camera goes all the way to 30 seconds, I would hope there is a
    valid way to get sharp pictures at "only" 1 second.

    Thanks.

    dohc46, Aug 1, 2006

  2. dohc46

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "dohc46" <> wrote in message
    > Better yet, finger shake!
    > DSLR Rebel XT using 70-300 USM IS Canon.
    > I wanted to experiment at dusk to see if I could get a clear/sharp
    > picture without blur by slowing down the speed to 1 second...by
    > changing the ISO and Fstop with 1 second the exposure was just right.
    > About 80 yards away was a sign with many words and I was using a
    > tripod. When looking at the sign in focus I could easily read the
    > words. btw i tried with IS on and off and I also enabled the mirror
    > lock. Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    > button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    > viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.
    >
    > Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    > happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    > of these solve the problem.
    >
    > The sign was very stationary. Also had it zoomed to 300mm. Of course
    > at that distance the flash was not enabled.
    >
    > The camera goes all the way to 30 seconds, I would hope there is a
    > valid way to get sharp pictures at "only" 1 second.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, either the time or the remote will solve this problem. Works for me.

    Rudy Benner, Aug 1, 2006

  3. dohc46

    kk Guest

    I have the same lens and camera combination.
    For all my low light and night shots, i use the timer function. Having
    a remote is certainly helpful but timer is good enough. In the camera
    the timer is also very easy to set. There is a push button right next
    to the lcd screen with which you can set the camera to single shot,
    burst mode or timer mode. In the timer mode, the shot is taken after
    10sec (I presume, this is fixed and can't be changed) which reduces the
    shake because of clicking. Your picture would have been perfect with
    this.

    kk, Aug 1, 2006
  4. dohc46

    Matt Ion Guest

    dohc46 wrote:
    > Better yet, finger shake!
    > DSLR Rebel XT using 70-300 USM IS Canon.
    > I wanted to experiment at dusk to see if I could get a clear/sharp
    > picture without blur by slowing down the speed to 1 second...by
    > changing the ISO and Fstop with 1 second the exposure was just right.
    > About 80 yards away was a sign with many words and I was using a
    > tripod. When looking at the sign in focus I could easily read the
    > words. btw i tried with IS on and off and I also enabled the mirror
    > lock. Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    > button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    > viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.
    >
    > Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    > happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    > of these solve the problem.
    >
    > The sign was very stationary. Also had it zoomed to 300mm. Of course
    > at that distance the flash was not enabled.
    >
    > The camera goes all the way to 30 seconds, I would hope there is a
    > valid way to get sharp pictures at "only" 1 second.

    A remote or the timer will help the issue, yes, especially combined with mirror
    lock-up.

    The other options are a faster shutter, accomodated with a faster lens and/or
    cranking the ISO.

    Matt Ion, Aug 1, 2006
  5. dohc46

    Pat Guest

    Another possibility is that you need a better tripod. Just touching
    the camera shouldn't give much of a shake. Poking it will, but not
    doing it gently, as I assuming that you did. If you have a good
    tripod, then try weighting it down. The blur might be your movement,
    but it might also have been wind or traffic vibrations.

    Another possibility is the focus. Check for indications of lateral
    movement as opposed to being out of focus. If you focused by hand, it
    is possible to have the image in perfect focus in the viewfinder but
    out of focus on the chip if your dioptor setting is off. So you want
    to check that, too.

    Good luck.

    Pat, Aug 1, 2006
  6. dohc46

    bugbear Guest

    dohc46 wrote:
    > Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    > button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    > viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.
    >
    > Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    > happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    > of these solve the problem.

    Shutter delay would fix this. Trick goes waaay back
    to the 1920's.

    However, your tripod should be providing enough stability
    to minimise this need.

    Something's wrong.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Aug 1, 2006
  7. dohc46

    Roy G Guest

    "dohc46" <> wrote in message
    > Better yet, finger shake!
    > DSLR Rebel XT using 70-300 USM IS Canon.
    > I wanted to experiment at dusk to see if I could get a clear/sharp
    > picture without blur by slowing down the speed to 1 second...by
    > changing the ISO and Fstop with 1 second the exposure was just right.
    > About 80 yards away was a sign with many words and I was using a
    > tripod. When looking at the sign in focus I could easily read the
    > words. btw i tried with IS on and off and I also enabled the mirror
    > lock. Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    > button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    > viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.
    >
    > Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    > happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    > of these solve the problem.
    >
    > The sign was very stationary. Also had it zoomed to 300mm. Of course
    > at that distance the flash was not enabled.
    >
    > The camera goes all the way to 30 seconds, I would hope there is a
    > valid way to get sharp pictures at "only" 1 second.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi.

    A 1 second exposure is probably the most likely to show Shake. Any Camera
    vibration due to your Button Pressing or Mirror Slap, will hardly have died
    down by the time the exposure completes.

    In a much longer exposure, these nasties will form a very much smaller
    proportion of the exposure time, so they should be less noticeable, but not
    quite invisable.

    If at you still get blur at a 30 second exposure, then your Tripod needs
    replacing, or you have been affected by vibration from an outside source in
    the vicinity, (railway line or industry).

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 1, 2006
  8. dohc46

    Ron Hunter Guest

    dohc46 wrote:
    > Better yet, finger shake!
    > DSLR Rebel XT using 70-300 USM IS Canon.
    > I wanted to experiment at dusk to see if I could get a clear/sharp
    > picture without blur by slowing down the speed to 1 second...by
    > changing the ISO and Fstop with 1 second the exposure was just right.
    > About 80 yards away was a sign with many words and I was using a
    > tripod. When looking at the sign in focus I could easily read the
    > words. btw i tried with IS on and off and I also enabled the mirror
    > lock. Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    > button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    > viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.
    >
    > Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    > happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    > of these solve the problem.
    >
    > The sign was very stationary. Also had it zoomed to 300mm. Of course
    > at that distance the flash was not enabled.
    >
    > The camera goes all the way to 30 seconds, I would hope there is a
    > valid way to get sharp pictures at "only" 1 second.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You might try the self-timer. With the mirror locked, the camera should
    have stabilized from your pressing the button by the time the self-timer
    delay expires.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 1, 2006
  9. Also you may need to have more mass on your tripod. Many tripods have a hook
    on the bottom of the central shaft. Try hanging a milk jug of water or sand
    on it.

    William

    William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com, Aug 1, 2006
  10. dohc46

    tomm42 Guest

    dohc46 wrote:
    > Better yet, finger shake!
    > DSLR Rebel XT using 70-300 USM IS Canon.
    > I wanted to experiment at dusk to see if I could get a clear/sharp
    > picture without blur by slowing down the speed to 1 second...by
    > changing the ISO and Fstop with 1 second the exposure was just right.
    > About 80 yards away was a sign with many words and I was using a
    > tripod. When looking at the sign in focus I could easily read the
    > words. btw i tried with IS on and off and I also enabled the mirror
    > lock. Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    > button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    > viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.
    >
    > Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    > happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    > of these solve the problem.
    >
    > The sign was very stationary. Also had it zoomed to 300mm. Of course
    > at that distance the flash was not enabled.
    >
    > The camera goes all the way to 30 seconds, I would hope there is a
    > valid way to get sharp pictures at "only" 1 second.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, get a remote, too bad these are no longer universal and cost $50
    (approx for Nikon) instead of $15 like a good cable release.
    Also use mirror lock up, and if all this doesn't work use the self
    timer.
    One of the problems with lighter weight cameras is that their internal
    workings are not well dampened. One of the trade offs.

    Tom

    tomm42, Aug 1, 2006
  11. dohc46

    Bill Guest

    dohc46 wrote:

    >Better yet, finger shake!
    >DSLR Rebel XT using 70-300 USM IS Canon.
    >I wanted to experiment at dusk to see if I could get a clear/sharp
    >picture without blur by slowing down the speed to 1 second...by
    >changing the ISO and Fstop with 1 second the exposure was just right.
    >About 80 yards away was a sign with many words and I was using a
    >tripod. When looking at the sign in focus I could easily read the
    >words. btw i tried with IS on and off and I also enabled the mirror
    >lock. Point is even with tripod & mirror lock, just by touching the
    >button with my finger I could see shake through the camera....when I
    >viewed my pics I could hardly read the words due to blur.

    Part of the problem is the shutter speed - 1 second is just inside that
    range of speeds which are easily affected by camera shake from the
    mirror slap at telephoto lengths, even if you use a tripod.

    Unless you use mirror lockup to reduce vibration, you want to avoid 1/30
    to 1 second exposures since the camera will still be shaking from the
    mirror slap.

    It's a good idea to become more familiar with shutter speeds and its
    effect on images. Once you know why you have a problem, it's easier to
    identify the causes, and work around them by avoiding certain shutter
    speeds.

    >Would a remote fix this problem? or better yet (for free) what would
    >happen if I learned how to set the timer on the camera? Would either
    >of these solve the problem.

    Yes, both will effectively reduce camera shake from contact using your
    finger to fire the shutter.

    But neither will fix the problem if it's vibration from mirror slap in
    the range of 1/30 to 1 second.

    >The sign was very stationary. Also had it zoomed to 300mm. Of course
    >at that distance the flash was not enabled.

    The longer the focal length, the more camera shake is an issue. Closeup
    shots can also be greatly affected.

    >The camera goes all the way to 30 seconds, I would hope there is a
    >valid way to get sharp pictures at "only" 1 second.

    You have several options.

    If you have true mirror lockup (MLU), definitely use it (the XT has it).

    If you don't have MLU, then shorten the exposure time to less than 1/30
    of a second by increasing ISO, opening the aperture, etc.

    If you don't have MLU, lengthen the exposure time to several seconds so
    the camera can settle from the mirror slap and the effect of vibration
    is greatly reduced.

    Bill, Aug 1, 2006
  12. dohc46

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    Use the delay timer. Set it for 10 seconds of whatever, frame your shot on
    the tripod and press the button and then move away from the camera. Mirror
    movement might cause a little problem. If you can lock it up, if not then
    just do the best you can. An SLR digital or otherwise that can't lock the
    mirror up is a joke especially if it offers longer than 1 second exposures.

    Hebee Jeebes, Aug 1, 2006
  13. In article <641dee1b5ba7d@uwe>, William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > Also you may need to have more mass on your tripod. Many tripods have a hook
    > on the bottom of the central shaft. Try hanging a milk jug of water or sand
    > on it.

    Should one have inexplicably forgotten to pack a milk jug when out
    photographing, hanging one's camera bag or rucksack from the tripod does a
    similar job of damping vibrations. Just don't let it swing.

    Roger

    Roger Whitehead, Aug 2, 2006