    Any recommendations or ideas?

    Thanks very much

    Triple Delta

    DeltaDeltaDelta, Sep 1, 2003

  2. "DeltaDeltaDelta" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a new digital camera and I need a capable one. I intend to
    > use it on a semi-professional level, to be blunt. It would need to able to
    > produce high quality shots (a 10x15 print would be enough), have a 3x or

    4x
    > zoom and be compatible with various add-on lenses and accessories and be
    > mostly manual as automatic cameras always end up mutilating my pictures.
    > Also, it would have to be in a price range of a max. 700 dollars, 1000 in
    > the extreme case.
    >
    > Any recommendations or ideas?

    Sounds like you're describing the Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D
    http://tinyurl.com/luz8

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Sep 1, 2003

  3. "JK" <> wrote in message
    > Well, not exactly, as for $999 the 300D will come with a slow and rather
    > limited zoom lens. A 300D with a 3x f2.8 zoom lens will be well above
    > $1000 US probably for quite a long time.

    I don't know what kind of lens it will come with, nor how good it will be.
    However, there are many good used Canon lenses at B&H
    http://tinyurl.com/lvi5 or KEH http://tinyurl.com/lvjw , or other such
    camera places.

    I do know it will difficult to find any other digital camera that otherwise
    meets his criteria so closely.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Sep 1, 2003
  4. DeltaDeltaDelta

    JD Guest

    > I'm looking for a new digital camera and I need a capable one. I intend to
    > use it on a semi-professional level, to be blunt. It would need to able to
    > produce high quality shots (a 10x15 print would be enough), have a 3x or 4x
    > zoom and be compatible with various add-on lenses and accessories and be
    > mostly manual as automatic cameras always end up mutilating my pictures.
    > Also, it would have to be in a price range of a max. 700 dollars, 1000 in
    > the extreme case.

    The Canon G3 would be exactly what you are looking for.

    JD, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Mind you, I'm a Nikonian, but I'd vote for the Coolpix 5400 (about $800) or
    a Coolpix 5700 (about $1000). The latter, if I'm not mistaken, has an 8X
    zoom range--quite extraordinary. Both allow manual override of the settings
    etc. Both are 5 megapixels and thus should easily give quality 11x14 photos.
    The former is smaller sized, the latter is rather large. But both have great
    capabilities, especially for a non-SLR digital camera.

    Links to a respected website (dpreview) which reviews them:

    5400
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5400/

    5700
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 1, 2003
  6. DeltaDeltaDelta on Monday 01 September 2003 06:51 wrote:

    > I'm looking for a new digital camera and I need a capable one. I
    > intend to use it on a semi-professional level, to be blunt. It would
    > need to able to produce high quality shots (a 10x15 print would be
    > enough), have a 3x or 4x zoom and be compatible with various add-on
    > lenses and accessories and be mostly manual as automatic cameras
    > always end up mutilating my pictures. Also, it would have to be in a
    > price range of a max. 700 dollars, 1000 in the extreme case.
    >
    > Any recommendations or ideas?

    A Nikon Coolpix 5000 should satisfy all your requirements. It's been
    discontinued, but you can still find them new in stores as well as
    new and used on eBay. They seem to be going for $450 to $550 US on
    eBay.

    --
    Stefan Patric

    Stefan Patric, Sep 2, 2003