    Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
    something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
    camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

    Joe, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Joe

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:33:09 -0800 (PST), Joe <>
    wrote:

    >I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
    >most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
    >am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
    >format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
    >page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
    >the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
    >borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
    >couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
    >hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
    >necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
    >basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
    >profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
    >its construction.
    >
    >Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
    >something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
    >camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

    One time disposal digital cameras are available
    Maybe the mp coount is only about 5mp.

    irwell, Dec 2, 2007

    Brendan Gillatt, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Joe

    Guest

    There are many compact cameras on the market with more than 7 mp, and
    in good light conditions you can have decent pictures. Price for
    decent compact would start around $200. Check sites like dpreview for
    detailed testing and recommendation.

    , Dec 2, 2007
  5. Joe

    Pat Guest

    It is possible to rent. Cheapest way may be to hire a photographer.
    Magazine will probably prefer to do the editing. I would be happy to help
    out for free if location is near Salem, Oregon.

    Pat, Dec 2, 2007
  6. Joe

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Joe <> wrote:

    > I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
    > most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
    > am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
    > format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
    > page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
    > the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
    > borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
    > couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
    > hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
    > necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
    > basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
    > profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
    > its construction.
    >
    > Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
    > something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
    > camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

    The cheapest way? Ask friends, colleagues, relatives if they have a
    digital camera to lend you for this project. If you prefer to stay with
    large format photography, and you only need a digital camera for this
    one projects, just borrow a camera from someone you know.

    If you want to use the digital camera for other projects, there are tons
    of excellent choices to consider. Check out http://www.dpreviewe.com and
    see what interests you for your needs and budget. Good luck.

    Shawn Hirn, Dec 2, 2007
  7. Joe

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Brendan Gillatt <>
    wrote:

    > Joe wrote:
    > > I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
    > > most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
    > > am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
    > > format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
    > > page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
    > > the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
    > > borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
    > > couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
    > > hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
    > > necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
    > > basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
    > > profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
    > > its construction.
    > >
    > > Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
    > > something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
    > > camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

    > I've heard that Fujifilm digital point & shoot cameras have good sensors
    > and Sonys have good lenses. I've used only a couple of Sonys and one
    > Fujifilm (borrowed) so I can't give you a specific model to look out for.
    >
    > What I can say, however is that 8mp is pushing it for the small sensors
    > and lenses in a point and shoot - expect quite a lot of noise and some
    > nasty aberrations.

    Nonsense. I have a 12MM Sony point and shoot camera that takes
    spectacular photos, even in low light. It cost me around $300 and I am
    thrilled with it. I have a Canon Digital Rebel with probably about
    $2,000 worth of lenses and I like my little Sony a lot more.

    Shawn Hirn, Dec 2, 2007
  8. Joe <> wrote:
    >I know next to nothing about digital, being a large format film user
    >most of my life. I have to shoot some digital images of a boat that I
    >am writing a magazine article about. Its not practical to use my large
    >format for this project. They prefer an 8 mp camera for a hi-res full
    >page shot but she said 7 mp might suffice. I have neither. What is
    >the cheapest way for me to get a publication quality image? I've
    >borrowed a friend's digital camera (unfortunately its not an 8mp) a
    >couple times and thats the limit of my digital experience. I expect/
    >hope the editor or his staff can do any fine tuning to the images, if
    >necessary, as I dont have time (or desire) to learn PS. I can do
    >basic manipulations and cropping etc. I'm going to want a full-frame
    >profile image of this 17 foot long boat and some moderate close ups of
    >its construction.
    >
    >Will a relative inexpensive P&S digital work, or can I possibly rent
    >something for a reasonable price? I really cant afford to buy an $800+
    >camera for one project that probably wont even pay that much.

    Two suggestions, take your pick:

    1) Rent a camera. A pro model Nikon or Canon.

    2) Hire a photographer. One who owns and uses the
    requisite Nikon or Canon...

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Dec 2, 2007
  9. Joe

    Al K Guest

    I don't know why you can not use your large format camera. Take the
    pictures and have the prints or negatives scanned to digital files, by a
    professional service. You get the quality at almost no cost.

    Al

    Al K, Dec 2, 2007
  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Dec 2, 11:49 am, "Al K" <> wrote:
    > I don't know why you can not use your large format camera.

    And I'm not going to explain it

    Joe, Dec 2, 2007
  11. Joe

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:56:00 -0500
    Shawn Hirn <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Brendan Gillatt <>
    > wrote:

    > > What I can say, however is that 8mp is pushing it for the small
    > > sensors and lenses in a point and shoot - expect quite a lot of
    > > noise and some nasty aberrations.

    > Nonsense. I have a 12MM Sony point and shoot camera that takes
    > spectacular photos, even in low light. It cost me around $300 and I
    > am thrilled with it. I have a Canon Digital Rebel with probably about
    > $2,000 worth of lenses and I like my little Sony a lot more.

    Did you mean "12mp"? Although I can imagine reasons to prefer a
    small camera over a half ton of DSLR gear, I don't buy the "spectacular
    photos in low light" claim. Please prove it by posting a few samples
    and identifying the camera.

    Paul Allen (who uses an FZ30 point-n-shoot)

    Paul Allen, Dec 2, 2007
  12. Joe

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Allen <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:56:00 -0500
    > Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Brendan Gillatt <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > What I can say, however is that 8mp is pushing it for the small
    > > > sensors and lenses in a point and shoot - expect quite a lot of
    > > > noise and some nasty aberrations.

    > > Nonsense. I have a 12MM Sony point and shoot camera that takes
    > > spectacular photos, even in low light. It cost me around $300 and I
    > > am thrilled with it. I have a Canon Digital Rebel with probably about
    > > $2,000 worth of lenses and I like my little Sony a lot more.

    > Did you mean "12mp"? Although I can imagine reasons to prefer a
    > small camera over a half ton of DSLR gear, I don't buy the "spectacular
    > photos in low light" claim. Please prove it by posting a few samples
    > and identifying the camera.
    >
    > Paul Allen (who uses an FZ30 point-n-shoot)

    Yes, sorry. I meant 12MP. As for samples, go to
    http://www.myspace.com/ketchup_on_everything and look in the photo album
    called "Christmas in Philly" which were shot with the same P&S camera I
    have.

    Shawn Hirn, Dec 3, 2007
  13. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Dec 2, 10:21 am, wrote:
    > There are many compact cameras on the market with more than 7 mp, and
    > in good light conditions you can have decent pictures. Price for
    > decent compact would start around $200. Check sites like dpreview for
    > detailed testing and recommendation.

    What is "good light" for digital? I will be shooting inside under
    primarily fluorescent lights, with some additional daylight from north
    facing windows. However if its a dark day, the windows might not
    provide much. Additional tungsten light may be available. I dont
    know, its beyond my control.

    BTW, why is the aperture range so limited on most (perhaps all) of the
    P&S cameras I've looked at? Being used to large format lenses and
    depth of field controls I'm confused and worried when I see apertures
    only in the 3-5 range.

    Joe, Dec 3, 2007
  14. Joe

    Paul Furman Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 10:21 am, wrote:
    >> There are many compact cameras on the market with more than 7 mp, and
    >> in good light conditions you can have decent pictures. Price for
    >> decent compact would start around $200. Check sites like dpreview for
    >> detailed testing and recommendation.

    > What is "good light" for digital?

    Low ISO.

    > I will be shooting inside under
    > primarily fluorescent lights, with some additional daylight from north
    > facing windows. However if its a dark day, the windows might not
    > provide much. Additional tungsten light may be available. I dont
    > know, its beyond my control.
    >
    > BTW, why is the aperture range so limited on most (perhaps all) of the
    > P&S cameras I've looked at? Being used to large format lenses and
    > depth of field controls I'm confused and worried when I see apertures
    > only in the 3-5 range.

    Smaller apertures suffer from diffraction on smaller sensors. f/3.5 or
    so is as much as you can stop down without losing sharpness.

    Paul Furman, Dec 3, 2007
  15. Joe

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > On Dec 2, 10:21 am, wrote:
    >> There are many compact cameras on the market with more than 7 mp, and
    >> in good light conditions you can have decent pictures. Price for
    >> decent compact would start around $200. Check sites like dpreview for
    >> detailed testing and recommendation.

    > What is "good light" for digital? I will be shooting inside under
    > primarily fluorescent lights, with some additional daylight from north
    > facing windows. However if its a dark day, the windows might not
    > provide much. Additional tungsten light may be available. I dont
    > know, its beyond my control.
    >
    > BTW, why is the aperture range so limited on most (perhaps all) of the
    > P&S cameras I've looked at? Being used to large format lenses and
    > depth of field controls I'm confused and worried when I see apertures
    > only in the 3-5 range.

    Because small cameras just don't have room to include large lenses.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 3, 2007
  16. Joe

    Joe Guest

    On Dec 3, 1:27 am, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    > > On Dec 2, 10:21 am, wrote:
    > >> There are many compact cameras on the market with more than 7 mp, and
    > >> in good light conditions you can have decent pictures. Price for
    > >> decent compact would start around $200. Check sites like dpreview for
    > >> detailed testing and recommendation.

    > > What is "good light" for digital? I will be shooting inside under
    > > primarily fluorescent lights, with some additional daylight from north
    > > facing windows. However if its a dark day, the windows might not
    > > provide much. Additional tungsten light may be available. I dont
    > > know, its beyond my control.

    > > BTW, why is the aperture range so limited on most (perhaps all) of the
    > > P&S cameras I've looked at? Being used to large format lenses and
    > > depth of field controls I'm confused and worried when I see apertures
    > > only in the 3-5 range.

    > Because small cameras just don't have room to include large lenses.

    I should have seen that coming. Thanks. Looks like I found a digital
    slr to borrow so I should be set, if it has the right lens(es).

    Joe, Dec 3, 2007