Camera Recommendation with these features

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by paulsgooglenew@yahoo.com, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am looking for a camera with the following features (highest priority
    first)

    - 30 fps video
    - Quick AF time
    - AF illuminator
    - 4.0 mp or more
    - 3X or better zoom
    - Durability
    - $400 or less

    Battery and media type do not matter. I would like something about the
    size of the Canon A70 (fits in pocket) but don't necessarily need a
    ultra-compact.

    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    , Feb 17, 2005

  2. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for a camera with the following features (highest priority
    > first)
    >
    > - 30 fps video
    > - Quick AF time
    > - AF illuminator
    > - 4.0 mp or more
    > - 3X or better zoom
    > - Durability
    > - $400 or less
    >
    > Battery and media type do not matter. I would like something about the
    > size of the Canon A70 (fits in pocket) but don't necessarily need a
    > ultra-compact.
    >
    > Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Canon SD300.
    It's tiny, so perhaps not terribly rugged, but the rest of your list is covered...
    ....particularly the 30fps, because it accomplishes this at an unusually high 640x480 (very
    high for this frame-rate)...
    AND... It will even capture at a whopping **60fps** at 320x240!
    Here's a full review:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd300/

    -Mark

    Mark², Feb 18, 2005

  3. Scharf-DCA Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >Any recommendations would be appreciated.

    Canon Powershot SD300, SD400, or SD500 (the latter two are due in March
    2005).

    The new Nikon Coolpix 5900 and 7900, and the new Sony Cybershot DSC-T33
    are also suitable.

    I think that the Canon SD300 is the only one available today that meets
    your specs.

    Thank Canon for forcing Sony and Nikon to add the AF illuminator to
    more and more models.

    Scharf-DCA, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Paul Dokken Guest

    What about the Sony CyberShot DSC-W1

    Paul Dokken, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Paul Dokken Guest

    Which models have AF illuminator

    Paul Dokken, Feb 19, 2005
  6. Steven M. Scharf, Feb 19, 2005
  7. Paul Dokken Guest

    I'm leaning toward the Nikon 5200 but also have been looking at the
    Sony CyberShot DSC-W1, I like the sony's large lcd.

    anybody have any comments on either of these cameras?

    Thanks in advance.

    Paul Dokken, Feb 20, 2005
  8. VK Guest

    Paul Dokken wrote:
    > I'm leaning toward the Nikon 5200 but also have been looking at the
    > Sony CyberShot DSC-W1, I like the sony's large lcd.
    >
    > anybody have any comments on either of these cameras?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I used to have the W1. My review/experience of it is posted here
    http://www.photosafariindia.com/Articles/rev1-sonyw1.htm

    I now have a S70 to replace the W1 (wanted RAW and an u/w case), but I
    do miss the ultra-fast AF and small size of the W1.

    Cheers,
    V.

    VK, Feb 20, 2005
  9. Paul Dokken Guest

    I hear Sony just realeased the DSC-W5. anybody know what the
    difference is between the W1 and W5?

    Paul Dokken, Feb 20, 2005
  10. Paul Dokken Guest

    Thanks for sharing your review, you have some great shots on it.

    Anybody know whe the huge difference between 512 and 1gb Memory Stick
    Pro cards? From what I saw, 1gb was about 4x the price of a 512 card.

    Paul Dokken, Feb 20, 2005
  11. Mark² Guest

    "Paul Dokken" <> wrote in message
    >I hear Sony just realeased the DSC-W5. anybody know what the
    > difference is between the W1 and W5?

    4
    :)

    Mark², Feb 20, 2005
  12. VK Guest

    Paul Dokken wrote:
    > Anybody know whe the huge difference between 512 and 1gb Memory Stick
    > Pro cards? From what I saw, 1gb was about 4x the price of a 512

    card.

    Dont know the difference, but you travel on the road a lot, 512MB may
    be better to have as it can be burned directly onto a CD-R, unlike a
    1GB card.

    And glad you found the review useful.

    Regards,
    Vandit