    briefcase, set upon a simple stand over the book page, take a readable
    image of the page in the available light in the typical library, and
    then be quickly downloaded into my laptop.

    Keith nuttle, May 13, 2008

  2. "Keith nuttle" <> wrote in message
    news:nC4Wj.3593$...
    >I have been doing library research lately, and thought that a digital
    >camera would work well.
    >
    > Can someone recommend an inexpensive camera that has the macro focus. It
    > does not need a viewfinder. Something that could be tossed in the
    > briefcase, set upon a simple stand over the book page, take a readable
    > image of the page in the available light in the typical library, and then
    > be quickly downloaded into my laptop.

    Spouse & I have had experience using digital cameras in libraries and
    courthouses to collect genealogical data. Based on that, I'd suggest:

    1. Macro isn't necessary if you are taking pictures of most or all of a
    standard letter page or ledger.

    2. Using the LCD on a point-n-shoot is an advantage since it avoids the
    problem of parallax.

    3. You want something that performs well at moderately high ISO since flash
    can cause problems with glare. Libraries are lit for reading, not
    photography.

    4. Some point-n-shoot cameras have a "text" or "copy" scene mode to assist
    in this task.

    5. If white pages tend to come out grey, you want to use the exposure
    compensation function to increase the exposure. Try +1 to start.

    6. If you are photographing pages in a book, the biggest problem tends to be
    getting the pages flat enough. Weights or large binder clips might help in
    the absence of a helper.

    7. Don't forget to take a picture of the cover and title page as well.

    8. Don't get too wrapped up in high megapixel count. 6MP should be enough.

    9. Image stabilization (IS) or Vibration Reduction (VR) are handy in letting
    you hand hold the camera.

    Any number of small, inexpensive digital cameras will handle this. Find a
    store with a number of cameras available and see which ones fit your hands
    best. Try testing them on a sample page.

    Good Luck,
    - Astigmatic Owl

    Astigmatic Owl, May 13, 2008

  3. Keith nuttle

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:43:37 -0400, Keith nuttle
    <> wrote:

    >I have been doing library research lately, and thought that a digital
    >camera would work well.
    >
    >Can someone recommend an inexpensive camera that has the macro focus.
    >It does not need a viewfinder. Something that could be tossed in the
    >briefcase, set upon a simple stand over the book page, take a readable
    >image of the page in the available light in the typical library, and
    >then be quickly downloaded into my laptop.

    My Nikon Coolpix P2 has a "copy" mode in scene selection that is
    specifically for copying text. I doubt if the P2 is still available,
    but the current Coolpix models probably have the same feature.
    This camera, by the way, has wireless transfer to the computer
    allowing images to be uploaded without removing the SD card.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 13, 2008
  4. Keith nuttle <> wrote:
    > I have been doing library research lately, and thought that a digital
    > camera would work well.

    > Can someone recommend an inexpensive camera that has the macro focus.
    > It does not need a viewfinder. Something that could be tossed in the
    > briefcase, set upon a simple stand over the book page, take a readable
    > image of the page in the available light in the typical library, and
    > then be quickly downloaded into my laptop.

    I used to use a 3MP Canon Powershot for photographing pages in
    libraries. No macro mode was needed for photographing image-filling
    book pages, and 3MP produced easily readable text of the smallest
    print in footnotes. What was very useful was a small tripod with
    reversible head so the camera could be mounted upside down between the
    legs. That's now a very old obsolete camera.

    Take a book into a camera shop and try things out. I suspect pretty
    much anything will be good enough.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]