camera recomendation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Townsend, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Jim Townsend

    Jim Townsend Guest

    John Trunek wrote:

    > I'm looking for a camera that I can connect to a PC and capture images by
    > software without needing to use the internal memory. Almost like web cam, but I
    > have only seen web cams with 640x480 resolution, giving me an effective 0.3MP
    > resolution. I don't need hi-res camera, but just need more than the 640x480.
    > 1-2MP is sufficient for what I'm working on. Any recommendations?

    Most of the Canon cameras come with the ability to run tethered to a
    computer. Canon supplies 'remote capture' sofware to do this.

    If you want resolution, you can try the Canon 1DS MkII and remotely
    capture 4992x3328 images.

    I'm pretty sure other camera makers offer the same thing...

    John Trunek, Feb 4, 2005

  3. John Trunek wrote:
    > I'm looking for a camera that I can connect to a PC and capture
    > images by software without needing to use the internal memory. Almost like
    > web cam, but I have only seen web cams with 640x480
    > resolution, giving me an effective 0.3MP resolution. I don't need
    > hi-res camera, but just need more than the 640x480. 1-2MP is
    > sufficient for what I'm working on. Any recommendations?
    > John

    It is much higher resolution that you may be talking about, but the
    Canon 20D will handle it. 8+ MP

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Jim Townsend

    John Trunek Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > John Trunek wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking for a camera that I can connect to a PC and capture
    >>images by software without needing to use the internal memory. Almost like
    >>web cam, but I have only seen web cams with 640x480
    >>resolution, giving me an effective 0.3MP resolution. I don't need
    >>hi-res camera, but just need more than the 640x480. 1-2MP is
    >>sufficient for what I'm working on. Any recommendations?
    >>John

    > It is much higher resolution that you may be talking about, but the
    > Canon 20D will handle it. 8+ MP

    You're right that this is much higher than I need. I've already got a decent
    camera that I normally use, but it doesn't have the ability to run tethered.
    The project I'm working on doesn't require very high resolution. I'm also a
    student and have limited financial means to purchase equipment. Thats why I was
    hoping someone here would be able to point me in the way of an older and/or
    lower end camera that supported tethered operation that I could get relatively
    cheap (perhaps used?).

    John

    John Trunek, Feb 4, 2005
  5. John Trunek <> writes:

    > I'm looking for a camera that I can connect to a PC and capture images by
    > software without needing to use the internal memory. Almost like web cam,
    > but I have only seen web cams with 640x480 resolution, giving me an effective
    > 0.3MP resolution. I don't need hi-res camera, but just need more than the
    > 640x480. 1-2MP is sufficient for what I'm working on. Any recommendations?

    Many of the higher end Olympus, Canon, and Nikon cameras include the capability
    to take a picture under computer control, and then the computer can upload and
    delete the picture as needed. Sometimes the software needed is included as
    part of the system, sometimes you have to buy it.

    Under Linux, some cameras are supported by gphoto2. See http://www.gphoto.org
    for a list of supported cameras. I've used my C-2100UZ in this mode.

    A shareware app for many Olympus cameras is Pine Tree Computing:
    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Michael Meissner wrote:

    > Under Linux, some cameras are supported by gphoto2. See http://www.gphoto.org
    > for a list of supported cameras. I've used my C-2100UZ in this mode.

    Michael
    Do you know if you can run gphoto to get an image from a camera
    via a command line, so you could automate picture taking by a
    shell script? I have an application for just this thing, and
    this would be ideal. I also want to do it with linux.

    Then the next thing I want to add is a motion detector to
    sense motion and take an image when there is motion.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 5, 2005
  7. Jim Townsend

    Ben Guest

    John,

    I recently bought a Olympus C-5050 (Craig's List; $300 with some
    goodies) which is a very nice "pro-sumer" 5-megger. With the free
    program Cam2Com (Camera-to-Computer) at
    http://home.comcast.net/~smenche/Cam2Com/ you have complete control of
    the camera. It works mint with my Oly, and supposedly works with any
    USB-connected Olympus.

    -Ben H.

    Ben, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Jim Townsend

    > Do you know if you can run gphoto to get an image from a camera
    > via a command line, so you could automate picture taking by a
    > shell script? I have an application for just this thing, and
    > this would be ideal. I also want to do it with linux.

    The command-line tool does this stuff. I see that the 1DMkII and 20D
    have PTP modes, which means that Canon finally woke up ... gphoto2 was
    basically useless when I tried it (a year ago) with my 10D and its
    braindead proprietary protocol. (There were(are?) amusing comments in
    gphoto's source about Canon and its idiot policies re: technical
    documentation..)

    > Then the next thing I want to add is a motion detector to
    > sense motion and take an image when there is motion.

    Hm. Wildlife? You can get -- if not build -- simple, dedicated
    electronics that will do this. Getting a "detect" bit into the
    computer will be about as hard as getting it directly into the camera.

    , Feb 5, 2005
  9. Jim Townsend

    Alan Meyer Guest

    John Trunek wrote:

    > I'm looking for a camera that I can connect to a PC and capture
    > images by software without needing to use the internal memory.
    > Almost like web cam, but I have only seen web cams with 640x480
    > resolution, giving me an effective 0.3MP resolution. I don't
    > need hi-res camera, but just need more than the 640x480. 1-2MP
    > is sufficient for what I'm working on. Any recommendations?

    John,

    My Pentax Optio 750Z may be able to do that. I know it
    can attach to the TV, but I've never tried it.

    I have been able to download Pentax and Canon manuals
    from the websites of those companies. I presume other
    companies also put their manuals on the web.

    If you find a camera of interest, you may be able to
    download the manual and see if it does just what you want.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Feb 5, 2005
  10. Jim Townsend

    John Trunek Guest

    Ben wrote:
    > John,
    >
    > I recently bought a Olympus C-5050 (Craig's List; $300 with some
    > goodies) which is a very nice "pro-sumer" 5-megger. With the free
    > program Cam2Com (Camera-to-Computer) at
    > http://home.comcast.net/~smenche/Cam2Com/ you have complete control of
    > the camera. It works mint with my Oly, and supposedly works with any
    > USB-connected Olympus.
    >
    > -Ben H.

    Thanks for that link. My sister has a 5MP Oly that, if I talk nicely, I can
    borrow. I'll have to try it sometime and see if it works.

    John Trunek, Feb 5, 2005
  11. "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> writes:

    > Michael Meissner wrote:
    >
    > > Under Linux, some cameras are supported by gphoto2. See http://www.gphoto.org
    > > for a list of supported cameras. I've used my C-2100UZ in this mode.

    > Michael
    > Do you know if you can run gphoto to get an image from a camera
    > via a command line, so you could automate picture taking by a
    > shell script? I have an application for just this thing, and
    > this would be ideal. I also want to do it with linux.
    >
    > Then the next thing I want to add is a motion detector to
    > sense motion and take an image when there is motion.

    Sure, I've done it to catch birds at the feeder. To capture an image do onto
    your memory card do:

    $ gphoto2 --capture-image

    To download all of the files from the camera and put them in /foo, do (note
    filenames will be in uppercase):

    $ gphoto2 --get-all-files --filename=/foo/%f.%C

    To delete the files on the camera do:

    $ gphoto2 --delete-all-files

    Here is a picture of my C-2100UZ all wired up, read to catch some birds (I'm
    sitting at the desk, and since I don't appear to be looking at the feeder, the
    birds will come swoop down):
    http://www.the-meissners.org/albums/camera-hacks/small/2004-12-30-12-15-052-camera.html

    and here is one of the pictures I took with this rig:
    http://www.the-meissners.org/2004-small-albums/2004-12/small/2004-12-30-11-53-038-birds.html

    Note, if you are going to have the camera on for a long period of time, you
    probably want to buy an AC adaptor for your camera.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 5, 2005
  12. wrote:

    >>Do you know if you can run gphoto to get an image from a camera
    >>via a command line, so you could automate picture taking by a
    >>shell script? I have an application for just this thing, and
    >>this would be ideal. I also want to do it with linux.

    > The command-line tool does this stuff. I see that the 1DMkII and 20D
    > have PTP modes, which means that Canon finally woke up ... gphoto2 was
    > basically useless when I tried it (a year ago) with my 10D and its
    > braindead proprietary protocol. (There were(are?) amusing comments in
    > gphoto's source about Canon and its idiot policies re: technical
    > documentation..)
    >

    >>Then the next thing I want to add is a motion detector to
    >>sense motion and take an image when there is motion.

    > Hm. Wildlife? You can get -- if not build -- simple, dedicated
    > electronics that will do this. Getting a "detect" bit into the
    > computer will be about as hard as getting it directly into the camera.

    No, a lab experiment. I need multipls cameras detecting and
    recording events, all fed to a pc, monitored remotely
    (e.g. ethernet in to watch what is happening).

    Thanks, Michael too. This is just what I need.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Feb 5, 2005
  13. "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote:

    : No, a lab experiment. I need multipls cameras detecting and
    : recording events, all fed to a pc, monitored remotely
    : (e.g. ethernet in to watch what is happening).

    Some cameras allow a wired remote. Some if not all are simply a momentary
    switch closure. So if you have an external motion detector, or a light
    beam, or some other sensor that can activate (or deactivate) a relay, you
    could easily wire a series of cameras to a single bank of relays to cause
    one event to trigger several cameras simultaneously. I would have each
    camera use a seperate "pole" or switch on the relay(s) so that there is no
    possibility of interference between the different cameras.

    Or the same "remote switch" input could be wired to a sensor for each
    camera if what you want is a series of cameras that each take a photo when
    the subject passes infront of that camera (such as a series of photos as a
    person walks across the floor). In this case you may even be able to skip
    the relays and use a simple floor mat switch to directly trigger its
    associated camera.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL