    the convenience of Camera Raw will be lost.

    Thanks.

    , Sep 22, 2006

  2. tomm42 Guest

    wrote:
    > Adpbe just published a list of new additions to its Camera Raw plug-ins
    > support. The Nikon D80 was not on the list. In the past, such Camera
    > Raw additions have been made every 4 months or so. Is there any
    > evidence that the D80 plug-in will be published any sooner than the
    > 4-month development period (which would carry it to January 2007)? As
    > far as I can tell, they have been very closed-mouthed about their
    > development schedule except to say they are working on it.
    >
    > My problem is that if there will be a four-month wait, I will have to
    > find alternatives (like Silkypix}. They will work (at some cost), but
    > the convenience of Camera Raw will be lost.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The RUMOR has it that Adobe is going to make an interum ACR sometime
    this fall. This is to include the D80 and some others coming from
    Photokina. Nikon probably surprised Adobe by getting the D80 out before
    Photokina and with good availability.

    Tom

    tomm42, Sep 22, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Adpbe just published a list of new additions to its Camera Raw plug-ins
    > support. The Nikon D80 was not on the list.

    [snip]
    > As
    > far as I can tell, they have been very closed-mouthed about their
    > development schedule except to say they are working on it.

    [snip]

    See:
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb6a85c.3bc1b01e

    "No, this update does not support the Nikon D80 nor the Canon 400D
    [Rebel XTi] yet. We receieved these cameras too late in our development
    cycle to make the cut for this release. We understand there are a lot
    of users now getting these cameras who want support as soon as
    possible.
    [snip]
    Because of this demand, we are planning to make the time gap between
    the ACR 3.5 and 3.6 releases shorter than usual, so you will not have
    to wait all that long for support. Also, we are nearing completion of
    the Beta 4 release of Lightroom. This will be released fairly soon
    (before the release of ACR 3.6). Lightroom is currently in a free
    public beta program:
    [snip]
    Beta 4 of Lightroom will have preliminary support for both the Nikon
    D80 and the Canon 400D. So in the time period the Beta 4 release of
    Lightroom (soon) and ACR 3.6 (shorter cycle than usual), you wil be
    able to processor your Nikon D80 and Canon 400D files using Lightroom
    Beta 4. You will also have the option of using the Beta 4 build
    Lightroom to convert the Nikon D80 and Canon 400D raw files into DNG
    format, which can then be used with ACR versions as old as 2.4."

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

    Barry Pearson, Sep 22, 2006
  4. tomm42 wrote:
    [snip]
    > Nikon probably surprised Adobe by getting the D80 out before
    > Photokina and with good availability.

    Nikon (and Canon) could have avoided this delay to their users had they
    wanted to. They chose not to.

    Pentax have shown what can be done to avoid such delays. They supply
    their own (free) DNG Converter for all of their dSLRs. The new K10D has
    DNG as an in-camera option. Pentax dSLRs are supported by lots of raw
    converters from day 1.

    Barry Pearson, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Bill Hilton Guest

    > wrote:
    > Adpbe just published a list of new additions to its Camera Raw plug-ins
    > support. The Nikon D80 was not on the list. ...
    >
    > My problem is that if there will be a four-month wait, I will have to
    > find alternatives (like Silkypix}. They will work (at some cost), but
    > the convenience of Camera Raw will be lost.

    Phase One just updated Capture One LE to V 3.7.5 and this version
    supports the Nikon D80 and, to my surprise, even the Canon 400D. In
    the past Phase One has been slow to bring out support for new cameras
    but this cycle they appear ahead of the game.

    In the past you could download the LE and Pro versions and try them
    free with no restrictions for 2 and 4 weeks so I'd suggest doing this
    for your D80. The free trial periods may be shorter now, dunno as I
    didn't check, but this will let you do quality free conversions for a
    few weeks while waiting for Photoshop. You might even like Capture One
    better than Photoshop. When I was running tests on different RAW
    converters I thought CO was clearly better than Photoshop and when my
    free trials ran out I almost dislocated my elbow reaching so fast for
    my wallet to get the credit card and buy it.

    If you like the software you can also get a free version of LE by
    buying a SanDisk Extreme III card in the near future. Check the Phase
    One website for details.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 22, 2006
  6. Pete D Guest

    "Barry Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > tomm42 wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> Nikon probably surprised Adobe by getting the D80 out before
    >> Photokina and with good availability.

    > Nikon (and Canon) could have avoided this delay to their users had they
    > wanted to. They chose not to.
    >
    > Pentax have shown what can be done to avoid such delays. They supply
    > their own (free) DNG Converter for all of their dSLRs. The new K10D has
    > DNG as an in-camera option. Pentax dSLRs are supported by lots of raw
    > converters from day 1.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Pearson
    > http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

    The day one support I am thinking was only happening because the used the
    same sensor in six different cameras recently. When I bought my DS two years
    ago there was a considerable wait for the ACR plugin to come out with the DS
    support, mind you RAWShooter worked and the Pentax software was pretty
    reasonable.

    Pete D, Sep 22, 2006
  7. Pete D wrote:
    [snip]
    > The day one support I am thinking was only happening because the used the
    > same sensor in six different cameras recently. When I bought my DS two years
    > ago there was a considerable wait for the ACR plugin to come out with the DS
    > support, mind you RAWShooter worked and the Pentax software was pretty
    > reasonable.

    Pentax's support of DNG is nothing to do with the sensors they use. It
    is because they chose to supply suitable software. Canon & Nikon could
    do something similar, but have chosen not to.

    Adobe's support of the *istDS was an anomoly, possibly unique. It was
    supported by ACR 2.4 in January 2005. But it appears that Adobe forgot
    to say so. It suddenly appeared in the list of supported cameras in ACR
    3.3, in January 2006, but never got announced as a newly-supported
    camera.

    Barry Pearson, Sep 22, 2006
  8. bmoag Guest

    Barry Pearson posted Adobe's canned reply promising support "in the fall."
    That could easily be the average 4 month time.
    Although Nikon NX is expensive for what it is you can learn to love it and
    pass the D80 images on to Photoshop for final finishing and printing.
    Unfortunately the latest version of NX is a resource hog even on a very fast
    computer with lots of RAM. With both NX and CS2 open things do not move
    snappily . . . .
    Before I used the D80, and I have only had it a few days and have been
    overwhelmed by other demands, I thought the difference between the imaging
    sensors in the D70 and the D80 would not be that big a deal apart from the
    higher megapixel count. In just the short time I have had to look at things
    like gross noise appearance at higher ISOs the differences are impressive.
    The viewing system alone is worth the upgrade: you can actually almost
    manually focus with it!

    bmoag, Sep 23, 2006
  9. Pete D Guest

    > Pete D wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> The day one support I am thinking was only happening because the used the
    >> same sensor in six different cameras recently. When I bought my DS two
    >> years
    >> ago there was a considerable wait for the ACR plugin to come out with the
    >> DS
    >> support, mind you RAWShooter worked and the Pentax software was pretty
    >> reasonable.

    > Pentax's support of DNG is nothing to do with the sensors they use. It
    > is because they chose to supply suitable software. Canon & Nikon could
    > do something similar, but have chosen not to.
    >
    > Adobe's support of the *istDS was an anomoly, possibly unique. It was
    > supported by ACR 2.4 in January 2005. But it appears that Adobe forgot
    > to say so. It suddenly appeared in the list of supported cameras in ACR
    > 3.3, in January 2006, but never got announced as a newly-supported
    > camera.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Pearson
    > http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

    My recollection is that it was not available that early but I can't remember
    exactly when it was. No matter. Hopefully it will not be a problem with the
    new K10D when mine arrives, Pentax software will support it anyway but ACR
    support will be nice when it comes.

    Pete D, Sep 23, 2006
  10. Hebee Jeebes Guest

    The K10D shoots both Pentax's RAW format and DNG. You should have no
    troubles with Adobe's products shooting DNG. I don't see why other companies
    don't shoot both, well I do its called greed.

    Hebee Jeebes, Sep 23, 2006
  11. bmoag wrote:
    > Barry Pearson posted Adobe's canned reply promising support "in the fall."
    > That could easily be the average 4 month time.

    [snip]

    It said "Because of this demand, we are planning to make the time gap
    between the ACR 3.5 and 3.6 releases shorter than usual, so you will
    not have to wait all that long for support".

    "Shorter than usual" is clearly not "the average ... time".

    Barry Pearson, Sep 23, 2006
  12. George K Guest

    Bibble 4.9 now supports the Nikon D80 NEF.

    http://www.bibblelabs.com/products/bibble/specs.html

    The standard version has a plug-in for PhotoShop Elements.

    The Pro version also provides teathered shooting and has a PhotoShop
    plug-in

    Features:
    http://www.bibblelabs.com/products/bibble/features.html

    George K, Sep 24, 2006