    Comments much appreciated.

    Thanks
    Chil
    Chil, Feb 27, 2007

  2. Chil

    John Ortt Guest

    Go into a shop and ask to use each one. Play with them for about an hour
    and see which you prefer.

    You will pay an extra £30 over an internet price for the privilege of
    playing with the cameras in the shop but it's well worth it.

    Both are great tools but it's all down to personal preference.

    P.S. I am not a pro but a keen amateur if that makes any difference

    John Ortt, Feb 27, 2007

  3. "Chil" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change my
    > 35mm for a digital.
    >
    > I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry level
    > and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the pro
    > range of cameras.!!! )
    >
    > I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
    > making the selection process even more clouded.
    >
    > As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
    > solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns
    > them?
    >
    > Comments much appreciated.

    As you are currently a film shooter you presumably have some lenses already?
    Also by keeping the brand you currently shoot then you will probably like
    the similar layout of controls. Certainly in the case of Nikon the D200
    appeals to people with an existing collection of manual lenses.

    Also remember that *lenses* are far more important than the body as a
    general rule, so look at the lenses that are avaliable for the body you
    choose. Your body will will likely be replaced far more often than your
    lenses which are a long term investment!

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk
    Adrian Boliston, Feb 27, 2007
  4. "Chil" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change my
    > 35mm for a digital.
    >
    > I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry level
    > and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the pro
    > range of cameras.!!! )
    >
    > I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
    > making the selection process even more clouded.
    >
    > As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
    > solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns
    > them?

    I own very similar cameras and can strongly state that both are good
    choices. Pick the one that feels good in your hands and seems to be the
    easiest to use. If you already own lenses or accessories that would work
    with either one, that would be the clincher for me.
    Charles Schuler, Feb 27, 2007
  5. Chil

    Chil Guest

    Thanks to everyone that has replied to my post....

    I actually have several 35mm. A Nikon F301, Canon EOS3000 and a Canon FX. I
    have a variety of lenses for each of them, but the EOS3000 is the only
    camera I have EF lenses for.

    I took some time out today to have a comparison and ended up buying the
    Canon 400D with twin lens kit, 4Gb HS memory card and spare battery.
    Couldn't get the optional grip though. $1600 all up. Best price in Sydney,
    so not complaining...

    Now just waiting for the battery to charge.....

    Cheers

    Chil

    Chil, Feb 28, 2007
  6. Chil

    John Ortt Guest

    A fine choice but then you were looking at two excellent cameras whichever
    way you went.

    I hope it brings you lots of happiness,

    John

    John Ortt, Feb 28, 2007