Camera meltdown

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eduardo, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Eduardo

    Eduardo Guest

    Hi, I'm looking for incidents similar to mine. I have a two-year old
    Fuji Finepix 2800. It works with four AA batteries; I've been using
    rechargeable batteries. I was outdoors taking some pictures of my
    family, then went in to have lunch. I took the camera with me and
    after a while I went out again to take some more pictures. The camera
    wouldn't start, and then I burned my finger on one of its corners (the
    one closest to the AC-in socket). My wife noticed there was smoke
    coming out of the camera. I put it on the floor and managed to rescue
    the card and take the batteries out. The camera had started to melt
    near the battery compartment and at the corner where I got my thumb
    burned. There is a hole which is clearly visible.
    I haven't been able to speak to anybody from Fuji (it's not easy here
    in Belgium). I'm just wondering has anybody heard of similar incidents
    and, if so, what should be the course of action (if any). The
    guarantee has expired, but I don't think an incident like this can be
    taken lightly. These batteries were regular NIMH batteries, 2100 mAh,
    from the store, and I had been using this particular pack for some
    months. It was rather warm (this happened in Cordoba, Spain), but no
    more than 30-32 Celsius-- I've taken this camera to much warmer
    places.
    Any advice would be very welcome!
    Eduardo
    Eduardo, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Eduardo

    Martik Guest

    Reminds me of the time I was refueling at the Shell station, answered my
    cell phone and the static electricity blew up the gas pump. Luckily, the
    phone still worked so I could call 911:)

    Martik, Jun 11, 2004

  3. On two occasions my Oly 2000 heated up in the battery compartment after
    putting in fresh NiMh batteries. I took them right out thinking that I had
    put something in backwards...and when I put them back in everything was
    fine. I still don't think they were in backwards...I think something else
    was happening...but this is the first mention of like events that I have
    seen.

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Eduardo

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Were you using a charger specifically designed for NiMH batteries? NiMH
    batteries should NOT be charged with chargers designed just for NiCAD
    batteries.

    In fact, some aftermarket chargers that claim to charge both NiCADs and
    NiMH batteries are not as good as they should be. Yes, an inadequate
    charger can overheat batteries and cause fires. The new LiPOLY
    batteries are even worse.

    The price we pay for newer battery technologies is that charging becomes
    ever more critical.

    People demand fast charges, but fast charging most storage batteries is
    a real problem, and battery mfgs and charger mfgs try to work problem as
    best they can, but it is a challenge.

    In summary, only charge non-NiCADS with name brand chargers specifically
    designed for that kind of battery. Stay away from bargain stuff.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Eduardo

    Irwell Guest

    The original poster did say the batteries were in the camera,
    not the charger. Could be either faulty batteries, or some sort of
    short in the camera. Maybe a foreign object across the camera
    terminals, on the Canon A80 battery compartment there is just
    about a tenth of an inch separation between the two ground planes.

    Irwell, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Eduardo

    S Lee Guest

    Gene Palmiter choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to
    spell out:

    > On two occasions my Oly 2000 heated up in the battery compartment
    > after putting in fresh NiMh batteries. I took them right out thinking
    > that I had put something in backwards...and when I put them back in
    > everything was fine. I still don't think they were in backwards...I
    > think something else was happening...but this is the first mention of
    > like events that I have seen.

    Lucky... I accidentally reversed the batteries in my old C2000 once
    and the next thing I knew the battery door popped open, smoke was coming
    out of the bottom of the camera, and the camera was thoroughly dead.
    Olympus did fix it for me though.

    --
    __ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
    (__ * _ _ _ _
    S Lee, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Eduardo

    stewy Guest

    "Eduardo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm looking for incidents similar to mine. I have a two-year old
    > Fuji Finepix 2800. It works with four AA batteries; I've been using
    > rechargeable batteries. I was outdoors taking some pictures of my
    > family, then went in to have lunch. I took the camera with me and
    > after a while I went out again to take some more pictures. The camera
    > wouldn't start, and then I burned my finger on one of its corners (the
    > one closest to the AC-in socket). My wife noticed there was smoke
    > coming out of the camera. I put it on the floor and managed to rescue
    > the card and take the batteries out. The camera had started to melt
    > near the battery compartment and at the corner where I got my thumb
    > burned. There is a hole which is clearly visible.
    > I haven't been able to speak to anybody from Fuji (it's not easy here
    > in Belgium). I'm just wondering has anybody heard of similar incidents
    > and, if so, what should be the course of action (if any). The
    > guarantee has expired, but I don't think an incident like this can be
    > taken lightly. These batteries were regular NIMH batteries, 2100 mAh,
    > from the store, and I had been using this particular pack for some
    > months. It was rather warm (this happened in Cordoba, Spain), but no
    > more than 30-32 Celsius-- I've taken this camera to much warmer
    > places.

    You could have put them in backwards. This generally produces a lot of heat
    and the batteries are often damaged. If the camera still takes good
    pictures, I'd suggest filling the hole and getting on with picture takng.
    I'd also suggest getting an external charger as it's impossible to make an
    alignment mistake.
    stewy, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Eduardo

    Don Stauffer Guest

    If it was an aftermarket charger, then even with batteries in camera, if
    they overcharge and heat, this would cause the problem. It would be
    possible to have an aftermarket charger with an option, or adapter, to
    fit whatever charging jack the camera has.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Eduardo

    Eduardo Guest

    As somebody pointed out, this happened when the batteries were already
    inside the camera and working properly. That is, the camera, and not
    the charger, went aflame. Looks like it's a very rare thing. I wonder
    could it happen on a plane. Thanks anyway. I'll have to get a new one
    I guess.
    Eduardo, Jun 16, 2004