camera malfunctions before my vacation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chrisa, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. chrisa

    chrisa Guest

    I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week. I had
    spent literally weeks researching every type of feature on dozens and
    dozens of cameras and looking at test photos until I finally narrowed
    it down to what I needed. I bought all kinds of accessories to go with
    it because photography was one of the main things I wanted to do
    there. I bought a tripod, extra long life batteries, bigger storage
    cards, was about to order lens adapter and filter.

    So I sent it back to Canon 2 weeks ago to be repaired at no cost and
    they tell me they are back ordered for 14 working days on parts plus
    up to 10 working days to fix it once they get the parts. I leave next
    wednesday so I'm pretty much screwed and EXTREMELY upset about this. I
    will now have no camera to take on a vacation of a lifetime.

    I'm getting desperate now. I can't fathom having to buy some stupid
    snap disposable camera from a pharmacy after expecting to have a nice
    one to go over there with. It looks like demand for the S80 is so high
    that I can't find any store I can buy a replacement from or rent one.

    Has anyone been in this situation? What do I do??? Help!
    chrisa, Sep 7, 2006

  2. chrisa wrote:
    > I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    > it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    > camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week. I had
    > spent literally weeks researching every type of feature on dozens and
    > dozens of cameras and looking at test photos until I finally narrowed
    > it down to what I needed. I bought all kinds of accessories to go with
    > it because photography was one of the main things I wanted to do
    > there. I bought a tripod, extra long life batteries, bigger storage
    > cards, was about to order lens adapter and filter.
    >
    > So I sent it back to Canon 2 weeks ago to be repaired at no cost and
    > they tell me they are back ordered for 14 working days on parts plus
    > up to 10 working days to fix it once they get the parts. I leave next
    > wednesday so I'm pretty much screwed and EXTREMELY upset about this. I
    > will now have no camera to take on a vacation of a lifetime.
    >
    > I'm getting desperate now. I can't fathom having to buy some stupid
    > snap disposable camera from a pharmacy after expecting to have a nice
    > one to go over there with. It looks like demand for the S80 is so high
    > that I can't find any store I can buy a replacement from or rent one.
    >
    > Has anyone been in this situation? What do I do??? Help!

    I don't see how you can do other than buy one of the many reduced-price
    digital cameras that have been replaced by newer models and are "on offer"
    at most big stores. The fact that it won't do what the S80 does is
    immaterial, what you want is good photos, and there must be thousands of
    decent digital cameras at bargain prices out there that will give you this.

    Once the holiday is over you can sell the temporary replacement, so the cost
    of buying it will be offset by what you get for it.

    Is there no way your insurance on personal effects will recompense you? Or
    your holiday insurance? After all, that's what insurance is for, if your
    Canon had let you down whilst on holiday, wouldn't you claim?

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Sep 7, 2006

  3. chrisa wrote:
    > I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    > it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    > camera specifically for a trip to Italy

    I do feel for you.

    Cameras are not perfect and this things will happen. That is why you
    will always see any wedding photographer who is really a professional with
    two of everything and some things they will have three.

    If you bought it from a local shop, maybe they can offer you a loaner.
    Even if you did not buy it from them some shops do rent cameras. Consider
    that.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Sep 7, 2006
  4. chrisa

    Denny Guest

    You have to understand that making images in 99% the person and 1% the
    camera...
    Walk into Wally World, go the the cameera display, close your eyes,
    turn around three times, put out your hand, the first camera you touch
    is THE ONE for you...

    denny
    Denny, Sep 7, 2006
  5. chrisa

    Robert Barr Guest

    Most retailers, including Officemax, are selling the last iteration of
    Kodaks for really reduced prices. Great little cameras, for excellent
    prices.

    Robert Barr, Sep 7, 2006
  6. chrisa

    Ron Hunter Guest

    chrisa wrote:
    > I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    > it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    > camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week. I had
    > spent literally weeks researching every type of feature on dozens and
    > dozens of cameras and looking at test photos until I finally narrowed
    > it down to what I needed. I bought all kinds of accessories to go with
    > it because photography was one of the main things I wanted to do
    > there. I bought a tripod, extra long life batteries, bigger storage
    > cards, was about to order lens adapter and filter.
    >
    > So I sent it back to Canon 2 weeks ago to be repaired at no cost and
    > they tell me they are back ordered for 14 working days on parts plus
    > up to 10 working days to fix it once they get the parts. I leave next
    > wednesday so I'm pretty much screwed and EXTREMELY upset about this. I
    > will now have no camera to take on a vacation of a lifetime.
    >
    > I'm getting desperate now. I can't fathom having to buy some stupid
    > snap disposable camera from a pharmacy after expecting to have a nice
    > one to go over there with. It looks like demand for the S80 is so high
    > that I can't find any store I can buy a replacement from or rent one.
    >
    > Has anyone been in this situation? What do I do??? Help!

    Whatever you do, don't go on the trip without a good camera. Surely you
    had a second choice, and probably you have friends, or relatives who
    would loan you a camera, given the rather exigent circumstances. If
    not, they you will need to buy another model. Good luck.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 7, 2006
  7. chrisa

    nobody Guest

    On 7 Sep 2006 04:12:45 -0700, Denny wrote:

    > Walk into Wally World,

    ERRK!

    Many of us would never cross the threshold of The Red Chinese Party
    Outlet Store.
    nobody, Sep 7, 2006
  8. chrisa

    Ron Hunter Guest

    nobody wrote:
    > On 7 Sep 2006 04:12:45 -0700, Denny wrote:
    >> Walk into Wally World,

    > ERRK!
    >
    > Many of us would never cross the threshold of The Red Chinese Party
    > Outlet Store.

    Many would shoot their foot off too. It's a world economy, you won't
    change it.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 7, 2006
  9. chrisa

    ASAAR Guest

    ASAAR, Sep 9, 2006
  10. chrisa

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    chrisa <> wrote:

    > I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    > it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    > camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week. I had
    > spent literally weeks researching every type of feature on dozens and
    > dozens of cameras and looking at test photos until I finally narrowed
    > it down to what I needed. I bought all kinds of accessories to go with
    > it because photography was one of the main things I wanted to do
    > there. I bought a tripod, extra long life batteries, bigger storage
    > cards, was about to order lens adapter and filter.
    >
    > So I sent it back to Canon 2 weeks ago to be repaired at no cost and
    > they tell me they are back ordered for 14 working days on parts plus
    > up to 10 working days to fix it once they get the parts. I leave next
    > wednesday so I'm pretty much screwed and EXTREMELY upset about this. I
    > will now have no camera to take on a vacation of a lifetime.
    >
    > I'm getting desperate now. I can't fathom having to buy some stupid
    > snap disposable camera from a pharmacy after expecting to have a nice
    > one to go over there with. It looks like demand for the S80 is so high
    > that I can't find any store I can buy a replacement from or rent one.
    >
    > Has anyone been in this situation? What do I do??? Help!

    My Fuji S7000 had battery problems a couple of years ago and I sent it
    in for repair, luckily I had a second pocket-sized camera (which I
    always carry.

    Try asking friends if they could lend you theirs. What about about a
    rental company - maybe you could get a super-duper thingy?
    Stewy, Sep 9, 2006
  11. chrisa <> wrote:

    : Has anyone been in this situation? What do I do??? Help!

    Not in your precise situation but similar. I went on vacation with a brand
    new DSLR and loads of plans to take tons of photos. But the first day I
    took about a dozen pictures and on my way back to may "base of operations"
    I got caught in a sudden downpour. I tried to protect my camera by puting
    it under my shirt, but it got wet anyway. I took out the batteries and let
    it dry before attempting to use it, but the damage had already been done.
    My camera had turned into a very expensive paper weight. Later examination
    showed clear burn marks all over the PC boards inside from arcing.

    Unfortunately I had agreed to be the group photographer for a gathering
    later in the trip so I had to have something. So I took a side trip to
    Walmart and picked up a fairly good, but inexpensive camera to use as a
    temporary use camera. I still have that camera as a "backup" that I
    sometimed carry when carrying my full DSLR would be impractical (a trip to
    the grocery store with this little camera in a pocket is much more
    practical than with a full sized DSLR and multiple lenses). :)

    I feel for your frustration, and hope that you can come up with some
    solution that will satisfy your needs.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Sep 9, 2006
  12. chrisa

    PeterD Guest

    On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:44:15 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:44:27 GMT, chrisa wrote:
    >
    >> I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    >> it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    >> camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week. I had
    >> spent literally weeks researching every type of feature on dozens and
    >> dozens of cameras and looking at test photos until I finally narrowed
    >> it down to what I needed. I bought all kinds of accessories to go with
    >> it because photography was one of the main things I wanted to do
    >> there. I bought a tripod, extra long life batteries, bigger storage
    >> cards, was about to order lens adapter and filter.
    >>
    >> So I sent it back to Canon 2 weeks ago to be repaired at no cost and
    >> they tell me they are back ordered for 14 working days on parts plus
    >> up to 10 working days to fix it once they get the parts. I leave next
    >> wednesday so I'm pretty much screwed and EXTREMELY upset about this. I
    >> will now have no camera to take on a vacation of a lifetime.
    >>
    >> I'm getting desperate now. I can't fathom having to buy some stupid
    >> snap disposable camera from a pharmacy after expecting to have a nice
    >> one to go over there with. It looks like demand for the S80 is so high
    >> that I can't find any store I can buy a replacement from or rent one.
    >>
    >> Has anyone been in this situation? What do I do??? Help!

    Aw, geeze, didn't you read the life warranty you got when you were
    born? The one that says everything is guarnteed to be just perfect for
    you for the rest of your life?

    Buy another camera, then eBay it when vacation is over?

    Life happens... Things break... Sometimes parts are not available...
    Some repairs take a while...
    PeterD, Sep 9, 2006
  13. "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:44:27 GMT, chrisa wrote:
    >
    >> I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    >> it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    >> camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week. I had
    >> spent literally weeks researching every type of feature on dozens and
    >> dozens of cameras and looking at test photos until I finally narrowed
    >> it down to what I needed. I bought all kinds of accessories to go with
    >> it because photography was one of the main things I wanted to do
    >> there. I bought a tripod, extra long life batteries, bigger storage
    >> cards, was about to order lens adapter and filter.

    Waah. I'm going to Italy and my camera broke.
    Waah. I can't get it fixed in time.
    Waah. I don't know what to do.

    I'd say your only option is to cancel the trip.
    Flatch U. Lance, Sep 9, 2006
  14. chrisa

    Dee Guest

    > I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    > it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    > camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week.

    Hey, you're going to Italy. Buy another one. Borrow one. Rent one. Forget
    Canon; enjoy your trip and deal with it after you get back.
    Dee, Sep 9, 2006
  15. chrisa

    Kris Baker Guest

    "Dee" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently splurged and bought a refurbished Canon S80. 3 weeks later,
    >> it malfunctioned and I had to sent it back to Canon. I bought this
    >> camera specifically for a trip to Italy I'm taking next week.

    > Hey, you're going to Italy. Buy another one. Borrow one. Rent one. Forget
    > Canon; enjoy your trip and deal with it after you get back.

    Yeah.

    The OP can download some pictures of Italy when
    she gets back, and if she needs to impress your
    friends, can photoshop herself into the images.

    Or nymshift and come up with another "poor little me"
    tale.

    Kris
    Quit taking vacation pictures
    years ago
    Kris Baker, Sep 10, 2006
  16. chrisa

    ½ Confused Guest

    Re: Body malfunctions (was camera malfunctions...)

    On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:47:51 -0400
    In message <>
    PeterD <> wrote:

    > Aw, geeze, didn't you read the life warranty you got
    > when you were born? The one that says everything is
    > guarnteed to be just perfect for you for the rest of
    > your life?

    No! I didn't get one! Was I a referb'd model?

    Is there any way to get a replacement warranty? :)

    Jeff
    ½ Confused, Sep 10, 2006
  17. chrisa

    Bill Funk Guest

    Re: Body malfunctions (was camera malfunctions...)

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:56:14 GMT, ½ Confused
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:47:51 -0400
    >In message <>
    >PeterD <> wrote:
    >
    >> Aw, geeze, didn't you read the life warranty you got
    >> when you were born? The one that says everything is
    >> guarnteed to be just perfect for you for the rest of
    >> your life?

    >No! I didn't get one! Was I a referb'd model?

    No, I heard you were a gray market model. :)

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 10, 2006
  18. chrisa

    Funk wrote:

    > ½ Confused wrote:
    >
    > > PeterD wrote:
    > >
    > >> Aw, geeze, didn't you read the life warranty you got
    > >> when you were born?

    > > No! I didn't get one! Was I a referb'd model?

    > No, I heard you were a gray market model. :)

    OH, MY, G'd! At least I don't wear gray pajamas... :(

    > > Is there any way to get a replacement warranty? :)

    Jeff (want replacement with manual AND warranty)
    ½ Confused, Sep 11, 2006