    45-100mm, which is good for people pics, but not landscapes.

    what would be a "standard" lense size, for an "average" camera?

    any advice on the A400? should i stay away just because of the lense?
    Martin Lynch, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Landscapes and photos of groups of people, like around a table at a
    party or in a room at Christmas _usually_ are subjects for a wide angle
    lens. The A400 has a 5.9mm - 13.2mm f/3.8 lens. That lens is about the
    same view as a 45-100mm lens on a standard 35 mm.

    That 13.2mm part of the zoom is a very mild telephoto. They use digital
    zoom to get more, but that decreases the quality of the image (like cropping
    a film negative) and you don't need that done in the camera you can do it
    afterwards in your computer.

    The 5.9mm part of the zoom is very close the the "normal" 47.5mm of a 35
    mm camera.

    In short, the camera lacks a wide angle lens and the telephoto is not
    much of a telephoto.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Martin Lynch

    Bob Guest

    On 2 Oct 2004 11:13:08 -0700, (Martin Lynch) wrote:

    >someon please explain how the camera lense size works?
    >
    >i'm looking into the new Canon A400, but was warned that the lense is
    >45-100mm, which is good for people pics, but not landscapes.
    >
    >what would be a "standard" lense size, for an "average" camera?
    >
    >any advice on the A400? should i stay away just because of the lense?

    The 'standard' lens is considered to be 50mm, so that camera has the standard
    lens.

    However, you may want to get a camera with much more zoom capability, that one
    is very small. (x2)

    I like to go from about 35mm up to 300mm or even 400mm.

    My favorite 'walking around' lens is 42 to 450, but that's hard to find on a
    digital.
    Bob, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Martin Lynch

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: camera lense?
    >From: Bob
    >Date: 10/2/2004 2:35 PM Pacific Standard Time

    >My favorite 'walking around' lens is 42 to 450, but that's hard to find on a
    >digital.

    The Kodak 6490 with 10X zoom is pretty close to that.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Oct 2, 2004
  5. I only have one small comment. 45mm for a 35 mm camera is a slight
    (very slight) wide angle. Most 35 mm have a 50 +mm, many have 52,
    mine has a 58mm.

    George E. Cawthon, Oct 3, 2004
  6. That warning is bogus, probably by someone trying to get you to
    another camera. The less difference between long and short focal
    length, other things being equal, the higher quality of the lens,
    i.e., a single focal length lens usually produces the highest
    resolution. There is no, people lens, and no landscape lens. A
    35mm equivalent pf 90 to 105mm is often selected for portraits to
    avoid distortion of facial features. 35mm enthusiasts, may select a
    50mm lens for landscapes or 135mm, or longer lens. It just depends on
    how close you can get to your subject and how much you want show. A
    45-100 mm equivalent lens sounds pretty good, but is a little less
    than the common 3x lens on many digital cameras.

    George E. Cawthon, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Martin Lynch

    Martin Lynch Guest

    13.2mm divided by 5.9mm, equals about 2.2.

    Is that how you calculate optical zoom, or is it just a coincidence
    that my math is equal to the zoom that they spec'd for this camera?

    Martin Lynch, Oct 3, 2004
  8. George E. Cawthon wrote:
    > I only have one small comment. 45mm for a 35 mm camera is a slight
    > (very slight) wide angle. Most 35 mm have a 50 +mm, many have 52,
    > mine has a 58mm.

    True, but by definition "normal" is about 47.5 mm. It's based on the
    diagonal of the film or sensor.

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 3, 2004
  9. Martin Lynch wrote:
    > 13.2mm divided by 5.9mm, equals about 2.2.

    That just means the zoom ratio. a 2mm to 4.4mm or a 100 mm to 220 would
    also be a 2.2:1 zoom ratios (that 2.2 is a ratio not an absolute. The first
    would be an extreme wide angle and the second a long telephoto.

    That ratio is the difference between one end and the other of the zoom,
    it does not indicate anything about how many times larger than normal it
    will deliver.

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 3, 2004
  10. Martin Lynch

    jjs Guest

    > George E. Cawthon wrote:
    >> I only have one small comment. 45mm for a 35 mm camera is a slight
    >> (very slight) wide angle. Most 35 mm have a 50 +mm, many have 52,
    >> mine has a 58mm.

    > True, but by definition "normal" is about 47.5 mm. It's based on the
    > diagonal of the film or sensor.

    We are speaking of some nominal 'norm'. (to be recursive) :)

    Diagonal measurements for the sake of comparing formats presumes the same
    aspect ratio. For the purpose of equlibrating the same _perspective_
    characteristics between lenses for different aspect ratios, one uses the
    longest side for each side.
    jjs, Oct 3, 2004
  11. Normal also means common. In this case, normal and common may not be
    exactly the same. I just measured the diagonal film measurement from
    one of my 35 mm cameras, and it measured a little over 43 mm (the
    normal lens is a 53 mm). So I expect the exposed area of 35mm film
    varies considerably from camera to camera. In any case, most 35mm
    cameras come with a 50+mm focal lenght lens, so that's the norm,
    regardless of whatever the diagonal of the film.

    In contrast the film from my 2 1/4 inch twin lens reflex has a
    diagonal of 80 mm but the normal lens is 75mm (argue as much as you
    want but I suspect that Rolleiflex is the standard for twin lens
    reflexes). So apparently the standard for a normal lens is not
    exactly the diagonal of the film.

    George E. Cawthon, Oct 4, 2004
  12. Martin Lynch

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Bob <> wrote:

    >On 2 Oct 2004 11:13:08 -0700, (Martin Lynch) wrote:
    >
    >>someon please explain how the camera lense size works?
    >>
    >>i'm looking into the new Canon A400, but was warned that the lense is
    >>45-100mm, which is good for people pics, but not landscapes.
    >>
    >>what would be a "standard" lense size, for an "average" camera?
    >>
    >>any advice on the A400? should i stay away just because of the lense?

    >The 'standard' lens is considered to be 50mm, so that camera has the standard
    >lens.
    >
    >However, you may want to get a camera with much more zoom capability, that one
    >is very small. (x2)
    >
    >I like to go from about 35mm up to 300mm or even 400mm.
    >
    >My favorite 'walking around' lens is 42 to 450, but that's hard to find on a
    >digital.

    A lens with that kind of zoom factor usually has lots of optical
    deficiencies. Telephoto is only worthwhile, IMO, when it is sharp,
    otherwise cropping from a (better but) shorter focal length shot is just
    as good, without losing as much light as zoom usually use at the long
    end.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Oct 8, 2004