    one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    other camera to have a sharper image?
    , Dec 21, 2008

  2. Pete D Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
    > some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
    > have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
    > that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
    > with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
    > shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
    >
    > I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
    > whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
    > one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    > other camera to have a sharper image?

    You say "seems to", are they sharper or not?
    Pete D, Dec 21, 2008

  3. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
    > some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
    > have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
    > that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
    > with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
    > shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
    >
    > I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
    > whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
    > one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    > other camera to have a sharper image?

    Many digital Cameras have a setting that allows you to choose the degree
    of Sharpening you wish the camera to perform.
    Did you set this control to the same value on both cameras?
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Dec 21, 2008
  4. PixelPix Guest

    On Dec 22, 4:42 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
    > some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
    > have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
    > that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
    > with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
    > shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
    >
    > I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
    > whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
    > one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    > other camera to have a sharper image?

    First thing to check that both lenses are clean. If one has a grubby
    thumb print on the front element you will not get the level of
    sharpness.

    Then check the in-camera settings for sharpness as Bob suggested.

    If it comes down to which one to keep, go for the one that provides
    the best image quality.... that's what it's all about after all.

    Rusty
    PixelPix, Dec 21, 2008
  5. ransley Guest

    On Dec 21, 12:42 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
    > some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
    > have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
    > that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
    > with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
    > shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
    >
    > I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
    > whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
    > one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    > other camera to have a sharper image?

    Iso, sharpening, f stop-speed used, and maybe an overall quality
    setting and maybe more should be checked, or I have heard there are
    good lenses and not so good of a group sold. They make them by the
    million so im sure not everything is perfectly made.
    ransley, Dec 22, 2008
  6. Don Stauffer Guest

    wrote:
    > I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
    > some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
    > have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
    > that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
    > with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
    > shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
    >
    > I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
    > whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
    > one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    > other camera to have a sharper image?

    Sharpness is sometimes not a very clear term. Is the bad one apparently
    less resolution (which is what I think of as sharpness)?

    Some people call higher contrast sharper. Is the bad one lacking in
    contrast?

    I am not familiar with the A650. Are you manually focusing? Of course,
    bad focus can create loss of resolution. Other than that, an element
    being out of place or tilted a lot would be an explanation.

    If it is loss of contrast, then a dirty lens is the suspect.

    I am taking you at your word that the settings are identical. Lots of
    settings affect resolution and contrast.
    Don Stauffer, Dec 22, 2008
  7. Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:42:18 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital
    "" <> wrote:

    >I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
    >some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
    >have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
    >that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
    >with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
    >shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.
    >
    >I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
    >whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
    >one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    >other camera to have a sharper image?

    Verify all the in camera image process settings are the same:

    resolution
    contrast
    saturation
    sharpening
    etc.
    , Dec 22, 2008
  8. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:55:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:42:44 -0500, wrote in
    ><>:

    >>Verify all the in camera image process settings are the same:
    >>
    >>resolution
    >>contrast
    >>saturation
    >>sharpening
    >>etc.

    >May be easiest to do with a Master Reset on both cameras.

    But then the OP doesn't learn what the settings are and how to change them.
    , Dec 22, 2008
  9. Guest

    On Dec 22, 2:42 pm, wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:42:18 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital
    >
    > "" <> wrote:
    > >I currently am in possession of 2 Canon A650 cameras. I've been taking
    > >some indoor photos with both of them today, and one of them seems to
    > >have slightly sharper image quality than the other. I have made sure
    > >that both cameras are using the same settings, and also used a tripod
    > >with the timer shooting to make sure that I am taking the exact same
    > >shots and also to ensure that I am not shaking the cameras.

    > >I was going to sell one of them - it has some bad pixels on the LCD
    > >whereas the other one does not, but the one with the bad pixels is the
    > >one with the slightly sharper image quality. Can I somehow tweak the
    > >other camera to have a sharper image?

    > Verify all the in camera image process settings are the same:
    >
    > resolution
    > contrast
    > saturation
    > sharpening
    > etc.

    I took the pictures in Auto mode, which does not allow you to change
    most of those types of settings. I would assume that Auto mode uses
    default values for those, so that the values would be the same on both
    cameras. I also did clean the cameras' lenses. And I set the focus
    setting to "Center" (makes the camera divide the frame into 9 boxes,
    and focuses on the center box). It appears that these camera lenses
    just aren't perfect. In some shots that I took, Camera A would be
    sharper than Camera B in certain spots. But in other shots, Camera B
    would be sharper than Camera A in certain spots.
    , Dec 23, 2008