Camera in the hand is worth how many on the website.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by whisky-dave, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. whisky-dave

    whisky-dave Guest

    Many here say that handling the canera before you buy, it's a good idea to
    get a feel for the camera, while I agree with this, is it as valid as it
    sounds surely hands can adapt to a new camera.
    Maybe the old way of holding your favoutire camera could be improved with a
    newly shaped camera. i.e many millennia ago my choice in camera was a
    Praktica L [1]
    The shutter realese at about 45 degree angle on the front of the camera,
    my second camera was a Praktica VLC2 then a Praktica EE2. All of which had
    the shutter release
    in the same place, then I went 'up market' and brought a Canon A1 whose
    shutter release
    was on the top like 99.99% of cameras are. I didn;t have any great problems
    adapting.

    Recently I decided that my canon S70 was a bit old and upgraded to a canon
    G10,
    most things felt different the shape of the camera the way to hold it, menu
    functions etc..
    but within a few hours if not less I'd gotten used to it and now prefer it.
    So just how valid is the idea of handling a camera before buying ?
    Of course this goes for both P&S, DSLRs and anything else you can use to
    take photos with.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave
    Picture of cat in a pub taken with canon G10 at 1600 iso.
    Take into account the cat was behind me, and that I turned around everytime
    there
    was a arh look at the cute kitty. These pictures won't win a quality
    competition obviously,
    but that isn't why I brought my camera or took the photos, sure DSLRers are
    right
    I should have used a camera with a better sensor and perhaps set up studio
    lights,
    but I really wouldn;t take that sort of kit to a pub in the east end of
    London and if I did
    what's the betting the cat would have 'pussed' off long before I was ready
    to photograph it... ;-)
    These are the sort of reason I chose a P&S over a DSLR, this time.

    NB
    No beer was spilt in the taking of these 3 photos.

    [1] No batteries, totally manual, no meter, you even had to use a lever to
    advance to the next frame !

    whisky-dave, Dec 10, 2008

  2. whisky-dave

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > whisky-dave wrote:
    >> Many here say that handling the canera before you buy, it's a good idea
    >> to get a feel for the camera, while I agree with this, is it as valid as
    >> it sounds surely hands can adapt to a new camera.
    >> Maybe the old way of holding your favoutire camera could be improved with
    >> a newly shaped camera. i.e many millennia ago my choice in camera was a
    >> Praktica L [1]
    >> The shutter realese at about 45 degree angle on the front of the camera,
    >> my second camera was a Praktica VLC2 then a Praktica EE2. All of which
    >> had the shutter release
    >> in the same place, then I went 'up market' and brought a Canon A1 whose
    >> shutter release
    >> was on the top like 99.99% of cameras are. I didn;t have any great
    >> problems adapting.
    >>

    > <snip>
    > I have a Canon S3IS, all I could afford; I like it very much and recognize
    > its limitations. I ordered it online, so I obviously couldn't handle it
    > beforehand. One thing I certainly noticed if I had handled it beforehand
    > is that practically all of its controls are right where my right thumb
    > naturally falls right on top of them. I have to be very careful that I
    > don't accidentally change any settings. I would probably have bought it
    > anyway, but this is a downside of it that I've never seen mentioned.
    > Allen

    I have the same problem with a SONY. If I hand the camera to someone to
    look at a photo my thumb will usually hit the T/W button and blow the photo
    out of any reasonable proportion. My two previous SONY's had that function
    located elsewhere. We shall overcome.

    Ed Mullikin, Dec 11, 2008