Camera in rain and is hosed - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TommyC, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    I was dumb enough to be taking pictures in the rain today.

    Part way through, the electronic viewfinder got what looked like a TV
    test pattern, and then none of the buttons worked - only the on/off
    switch.

    I put the camera in a dry spot and took the battery out, and a couple
    hours later it seemed to work. I even took a picture with it.

    But then an hour after that, as I was putting it away, I tried it again.
    It turns on, and the EVF works tracking what the camera is aimed at.
    But the shutter release doesn't work, the menu doesn't work, and none of
    the buttons on the camera work. The only thing that works is the mode
    dial on the camera.

    Right now I have the battery recharging (odd, it was fully charged
    before, I took only a few pictures, and the battery seems to be taking a
    long charge). I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    improve things.

    But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?

    It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.
    TommyC, Sep 9, 2007

  2. TommyC

    Do This Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:52:14 -0400, TommyC <> wrote:

    >I was dumb enough to be taking pictures in the rain today.
    >
    >Part way through, the electronic viewfinder got what looked like a TV
    >test pattern, and then none of the buttons worked - only the on/off
    >switch.
    >
    >I put the camera in a dry spot and took the battery out, and a couple
    >hours later it seemed to work. I even took a picture with it.
    >
    >But then an hour after that, as I was putting it away, I tried it again.
    >It turns on, and the EVF works tracking what the camera is aimed at.
    >But the shutter release doesn't work, the menu doesn't work, and none of
    >the buttons on the camera work. The only thing that works is the mode
    >dial on the camera.
    >
    >Right now I have the battery recharging (odd, it was fully charged
    >before, I took only a few pictures, and the battery seems to be taking a
    >long charge). I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    >improve things.
    >
    >But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
    >
    >It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    Don't turn it on again. Remove the batteries. ALL batteries, including the small
    coin-cell used to keep the clock and circuitry alive. Running a current through
    the circuits right now can cause damage. Open up all memory-card and battery
    covers. Allow it to dry in a warm and dry location over a period of several days
    to a week if need be. If you have a food-dehydrator with a fan and a thermostat
    that allows you to set the temperature under 95 degrees that will be perfect for
    this (I use mine to remove any moisture in my equipment after an extensive
    venture into wet and damp conditions). Rain is nearly pure distilled water,
    unless you are in the weather-pattern path of a manufacturing district where
    acid-rains still prevail. Distilled water will not harm your camera permanently.
    It just needs to dry out thoroughly.

    In the future make a harsh-environment cover for your camera by embedding a
    clear filter in the side of a zip-loc baggie and affixing the filter to your
    camera inside of the baggie. Then seal it up before going out into the rain to
    shoot those photos that other photographers fail to try to get. My
    harsh-environment cover even saved an expensive camera from a dunking in two
    feet of water in the bottom of a leaking crabbing-boat one time, when I went
    along to document a subsistence living life-style in one region I was visiting.
    I have no qualms about going out in ice-storms or on sand blown salt-water
    beaches with my camera safely protected this way. I've done it many times, and
    successfully obtained photos that no other photographers will ever attempt to
    get.
    Do This, Sep 9, 2007

  3. TommyC

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:52:14 -0400, TommyC wrote:

    > I was dumb enough to be taking pictures in the rain today.
    >
    > Part way through, the electronic viewfinder got what looked like a TV
    > test pattern, and then none of the buttons worked - only the on/off
    > switch.
    >
    > I put the camera in a dry spot and took the battery out, and a couple
    > hours later it seemed to work. I even took a picture with it.
    >
    > But then an hour after that, as I was putting it away, I tried it again.
    > It turns on, and the EVF works tracking what the camera is aimed at.
    > But the shutter release doesn't work, the menu doesn't work, and none of
    > the buttons on the camera work. The only thing that works is the mode
    > dial on the camera.
    >
    > Right now I have the battery recharging (odd, it was fully charged
    > before, I took only a few pictures, and the battery seems to be taking a
    > long charge). I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    > improve things.
    >
    > But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?

    I see two possibilities:

    1) send it to be repaired.

    2) get a new one.

    ray, Sep 9, 2007
  4. TommyC

    Charles Guest

    "TommyC" <> wrote in message
    >I was dumb enough to be taking pictures in the rain today.

    Drizzle or a downpour?

    > Part way through, the electronic viewfinder got what looked like a TV
    > test pattern, and then none of the buttons worked - only the on/off
    > switch.

    Ooops ... Mr. Water is in there.

    > I put the camera in a dry spot and took the battery out, and a couple
    > hours later it seemed to work. I even took a picture with it.

    So far, so good.

    > But then an hour after that, as I was putting it away, I tried it again.
    > It turns on, and the EVF works tracking what the camera is aimed at.
    > But the shutter release doesn't work, the menu doesn't work, and none of
    > the buttons on the camera work. The only thing that works is the mode
    > dial on the camera.

    Your camera is in deep trouble.

    > Right now I have the battery recharging (odd, it was fully charged
    > before, I took only a few pictures, and the battery seems to be taking a
    > long charge). I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    > improve things.

    Water creates additional current paths that might have discharged your
    battery.

    > But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?

    It might be OK, after a long dryying-out period. Not likely, though. The
    camera is most likely ....................
    Charles, Sep 9, 2007
  5. TommyC

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I don't know if this would work on a digital camera but I dumped my Pentax
    35 mm film camera in a river by upsetting a canoe. I had access to a vacuum
    oven in a lab so I heated it to 130F and pulled a vacuum on it. It took
    care of the problem and I used my camera for years thereafter. The photos
    showed a little damage when developed. I might suggest trying a school's
    chem lab if you can get access to it.

    Ed Mullikin, Sep 9, 2007
  6. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <>,
    Do This <> wrote:

    > Don't turn it on again. Remove the batteries. ALL batteries, including the
    > small
    > coin-cell used to keep the clock and circuitry alive. Running a current
    > through
    > the circuits right now can cause damage. Open up all memory-card and battery
    > covers. Allow it to dry in a warm and dry location over a period of several
    > days
    > to a week if need be. If you have a food-dehydrator with a fan and a
    > thermostat
    > that allows you to set the temperature under 95 degrees that will be perfect
    > for
    > this (I use mine to remove any moisture in my equipment after an extensive
    > venture into wet and damp conditions). Rain is nearly pure distilled water,
    > unless you are in the weather-pattern path of a manufacturing district where
    > acid-rains still prevail. Distilled water will not harm your camera
    > permanently.
    > It just needs to dry out thoroughly.

    This pertains to the circumstances of the original post:

    The dry spot I used originally was an oven. I turned it on and let it
    warm to 150 degrees (F), let it cool a bit from there, and then put the
    camera in there, on a wooden paddle so the plastic camera wouldn't touch
    the metal oven parts.

    I had it in for 20 minutes, then let it cool, with the battery and card
    still removed and the door for those areas open. It cooled for probably
    90 minutes, I put the battery and memory card in, and took a picture.
    At that time, the zoom toggle worked, the display window worked, and
    obviously, the shutter release worked.

    Maybe an hour later, I was putting the camera away, and when I turned it
    on at that time, only the EVF worked. The display window on the back of
    the camera didn't work, nor did most of the buttons (turn off the camera
    display, change the shutter speed etc., burst modes, menu, and the menu
    controls, and of course the shutter release). The only things that
    worked were the mode dial and the on/off button. Interestingly, if the
    mode dial was set for preview, the camera display did work. But the
    buttons used to move among pictures did not.

    ====================

    Since then, I left the camera with the battery/card door open and the
    battery and card removed, for 2+ hours. The camera behaved exactly as
    described above, mostly not working.

    I'm distressed, of course, but I'd be more bothered if the camera
    outright didn't turn on, or if some of the things that work now weren't
    working.

    Right now, the camera is getting another oven treatment. I'll do it for
    an hour. I'd assume that, starting at 150 or so, the oven would be
    basically room temperature an hour later.

    So I have three more questions:

    1. How much more oven and air drying time is enough? I would assume
    that at some point, we get to returns diminishing to zero for any
    additional time.

    2. Obviously, applying no electricity while there is moisture in the
    camera is what I want to do (even though I've applied a LOT of
    electricity by turning the camera on probably at least five times since
    I got in trouble). But how do I test the camera again without applying
    electricity?

    3. How do I find and remove the clock coin cell? I cant' find it
    referenced in the manual.
    TommyC, Sep 10, 2007
  7. TommyC

    Do This Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:34:47 -0400, TommyC <> wrote:

> [...]

    >outright didn't turn on, or if some of the things that work now weren't
    >working.
    >
    >Right now, the camera is getting another oven treatment. I'll do it for
    >an hour. I'd assume that, starting at 150 or so, the oven would be
    >basically room temperature an hour later.
    >
    >So I have three more questions:
    >
    >1. How much more oven and air drying time is enough? I would assume
    >that at some point, we get to returns diminishing to zero for any
    >additional time.
    >
    >2. Obviously, applying no electricity while there is moisture in the
    >camera is what I want to do (even though I've applied a LOT of
    >electricity by turning the camera on probably at least five times since
    >I got in trouble). But how do I test the camera again without applying
    >electricity?
    >
    >3. How do I find and remove the clock coin cell? I cant' find it

    120 to 150 degrees F. is not a warm place, that's an oven. You may have done
    more damage to your camera in trying to dry it out than you did by getting it
    wet. I would never subject any digital camera to temps higher than 110-115
    degrees for more than a 10 or 15 minute span. Even when it's warm and sunny
    outside I walk with the camera in the shadow of my body to prevent the sun from
    overheating it. The (stupidly) black-pro bodies of all newer cameras can get
    dangerously warm just sitting in the sun.

    Test the camera for functionality ONLY AFTER A FEW DAYS TO A WEEK of drying
    time. At the first suspicion that water may have invaded your circuitry you take
    out all batteries and get it dried off and into a warm dry place as soon as
    possible. Trying to get it to still work in that condition can only do more
    damage. A full accidental dunking in fresh or salt-water is another scenario
    that requires further quick action, but I won't go into that here.

    As for the clock-battery location I can't help you there. Look inside of the
    battery compartment for a small slide-out tray or under a small screw-down cover
    or other small latched area. Most all cameras make them accessible because they
    have to eventually be replaced, though it may be years before needing to do so.
    Inspect the camera carefully, you're bound to find where they put it.

    Your impatience and drastic drying methods may have destroyed your camera. Do as
    I said and leave it alone for a few days to a week before attempting it again.
    And TAKE IT OUT OF THAT 150 F. OVEN! If you read that advice online someone was
    intentionally trying to get you to destroy your camera. If you thought of that
    on your own ... I don't think you deserve to have a camera.
    Do This, Sep 10, 2007
  8. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <>,
    Do This <> wrote:

    > 120 to 150 degrees F. is not a warm place, that's an oven. You may have done
    > more damage to your camera in trying to dry it out than you did by getting it
    > wet. I would never subject any digital camera to temps higher than 110-115
    > degrees for more than a 10 or 15 minute span. Even when it's warm and sunny
    > outside I walk with the camera in the shadow of my body to prevent the sun
    > from
    > overheating it. The (stupidly) black-pro bodies of all newer cameras can get
    > dangerously warm just sitting in the sun.

    I have no idea what the oven temperature was when I put the camera in;
    just that it had not come to temperature yet when I turned it off, and
    that I let it cool a bit before putting the camera in, and that it felt
    like dry warmth to my hand - not hot, just warm and dry.

    > Test the camera for functionality ONLY AFTER A FEW DAYS TO A WEEK of drying
    > time. At the first suspicion that water may have invaded your circuitry you
    > take
    > out all batteries and get it dried off and into a warm dry place as soon as
    > possible. Trying to get it to still work in that condition can only do more
    > damage. A full accidental dunking in fresh or salt-water is another scenario
    > that requires further quick action, but I won't go into that here.
    >
    > As for the clock-battery location I can't help you there. Look inside of the
    > battery compartment for a small slide-out tray or under a small screw-down
    > cover
    > or other small latched area. Most all cameras make them accessible because
    > they
    > have to eventually be replaced, though it may be years before needing to do
    > so.
    > Inspect the camera carefully, you're bound to find where they put it.

    I can't believe I can't find it. The camera body and battery area don't
    have many visible nooks and crannies, so such a thing should be obvious.
    But I can't find it.

    > Your impatience and drastic drying methods may have destroyed your camera. Do
    > as
    > I said and leave it alone for a few days to a week before attempting it
    > again.
    > And TAKE IT OUT OF THAT 150 F. OVEN! If you read that advice online someone
    > was
    > intentionally trying to get you to destroy your camera. If you thought of
    > that
    > on your own ... I don't think you deserve to have a camera.

    Actually, before I read your post, I had put the camera in the path of a
    hair dryer going on the cool setting. So it has a stream of dry air
    blowing over it, probably in the 90-110 degree range. After ten
    minutes, the camera felt warm but not hot.

    I know technical dolts and impatient fools can be a pain on usenet, but
    I hope you were kidding about the "don't deserve to have a camera" bit.
    I use that camera to shoot a lot of my kids sporting and scouting
    events, and it means a lot to me and to several dozen other parents.
    It's only a "thing," not a person, but that I broke it (likely) really
    has me feeling down.
    TommyC, Sep 10, 2007
  9. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    Since near consensus is forming that I hosed my camera, I am looking for
    a suggestion on a possible replacement.

    Again, what I had was an FZ20 from the Panasonic Lumix line. What I
    liked about it, and have come to rely on, were:

    - 12x zoom - I shoot a lot of sports
    - hot shoe for an external flash
    - threaded lens barrel, for lens hood and/or filters

    It used an SD card, which I know is pretty common. The proprietary
    rechargeable battery was always good for 500+ shots (many done in burst
    mode). I think most of what else it had is common in cameras.

    What are some good cameras to consider as replacements? I'm thinking of
    around a $300 price point.
    TommyC, Sep 10, 2007
  10. TommyC

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:45:54 -0400, TommyC <> wrote:

    >Since near consensus is forming that I hosed my camera, I am looking for
    >a suggestion on a possible replacement.
    >
    >Again, what I had was an FZ20 from the Panasonic Lumix line. What I
    >liked about it, and have come to rely on, were:
    >
    >- 12x zoom - I shoot a lot of sports
    >- hot shoe for an external flash
    >- threaded lens barrel, for lens hood and/or filters
    >
    >It used an SD card, which I know is pretty common. The proprietary
    >rechargeable battery was always good for 500+ shots (many done in burst
    >mode). I think most of what else it had is common in cameras.
    >
    >What are some good cameras to consider as replacements? I'm thinking of
    >around a $300 price point.

    Once it has completely dried you'll probably have to do a RESET of the camera
    to set it to all the defaults. I'm not familiar with your camera but most do
    have the capability.

    Jack Mac
    Jack Mac, Sep 10, 2007
  11. TommyC

    Allen Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > I don't know if this would work on a digital camera but I dumped my Pentax
    > 35 mm film camera in a river by upsetting a canoe. I had access to a vacuum
    > oven in a lab so I heated it to 130F and pulled a vacuum on it. It took
    > care of the problem and I used my camera for years thereafter. The photos
    > showed a little damage when developed. I might suggest trying a school's
    > chem lab if you can get access to it.

    I had a similar experience with my Canon FTbn. I was wading in a creek
    (wearing what we used to call tennis shoes) when I kicked a submerged
    rock, hard enough to break my big toe. Having other things on my mind, I
    dropped the camera into the water and it got thoroughly soaked. I went
    home, took the film out and put it in my kitchen oven at 180 degrees for
    about a half hour. I continued using it for several more years, until
    the EOS line came out. I don't know if a treatment like this would go
    any good for a digital, but if the alternative is to discard it, it
    would be worth a try. (I can't remember what happened to the film.)
    Allen
    Allen, Sep 10, 2007
  12. TommyC

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 9, 3:52 pm, TommyC <> wrote:
    > I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    > improve things.
    >
    > But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
    >
    > It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    Here is my suggestion for the wet Lumix. On the next hot day, drive
    your car up on the freeway. Make sure there are no police around and
    get up to speed (80-90mph works best) and hold the Lumix out of the
    Window. Then let go.

    [The tip about the police is so you won't be charged with littering.]
    Annika1980, Sep 10, 2007
  13. On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:09:53 -0700, Annika1980 <> wrote:

    >On Sep 9, 3:52 pm, TommyC <> wrote:
    >> I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    >> improve things.
    >>
    >> But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
    >>
    >> It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    >Here is my suggestion for the wet Lumix. On the next hot day, drive
    >your car up on the freeway. Make sure there are no police around and
    >get up to speed (80-90mph works best) and hold the Lumix out of the
    >Window. Then let go.
    >
    >[The tip about the police is so you won't be charged with littering.]

    The Lumix line are a perfectly fine and admirable line of cameras. Many of the
    first ones taking the photo community by storm for the amazing advancements they
    made that nobody ever expected would be possible in such a compact camera. Your
    comment betrays your false sense of superiority in your own cameras.

    If after several days or more of drying time and his camera ends up working
    perfectly I'm sure he'll look on you as the useless resident troll that the rest
    of us already know you to be.
    Melvin Schiefer, Sep 10, 2007
  14. TommyC

    Yoshi Guest

    "TommyC" <> wrote in message
    >I was dumb enough to be taking pictures in the rain today.
    >
    > Part way through, the electronic viewfinder got what looked like a TV
    > test pattern, and then none of the buttons worked - only the on/off
    > switch.
    >
    > I put the camera in a dry spot and took the battery out, and a couple
    > hours later it seemed to work. I even took a picture with it.
    >
    > But then an hour after that, as I was putting it away, I tried it again.
    > It turns on, and the EVF works tracking what the camera is aimed at.
    > But the shutter release doesn't work, the menu doesn't work, and none of
    > the buttons on the camera work. The only thing that works is the mode
    > dial on the camera.
    >
    > Right now I have the battery recharging (odd, it was fully charged
    > before, I took only a few pictures, and the battery seems to be taking a
    > long charge). I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    > improve things.
    >
    > But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
    >
    > It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    Dont put it in an oven... that's idiotic advice. Put the camera, sans
    batteries and card, into a closed airtight container with a dessicant like
    silica gel for several days.
    Yoshi, Sep 10, 2007
  15. TommyC

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:38:30 -0400, TommyC wrote:

    > Actually, before I read your post, I had put the camera in the path of a
    > hair dryer going on the cool setting. So it has a stream of dry air
    > blowing over it, probably in the 90-110 degree range. After ten
    > minutes, the camera felt warm but not hot.
    >
    > I know technical dolts and impatient fools can be a pain on usenet, but
    > I hope you were kidding about the "don't deserve to have a camera" bit.
    > I use that camera to shoot a lot of my kids sporting and scouting
    > events, and it means a lot to me and to several dozen other parents.
    > It's only a "thing," not a person, but that I broke it (likely) really
    > has me feeling down.

    Oh, you can be sure that "Do This" wasn't kidding, but you can
    also be sure that despite appearances, *it* wasn't really trying to
    help. It usually makes a game of insulting people. In any case,
    "it" refers to any of the myriad sock puppets that are used to try
    to keep people from recognizing "it"s identity. A list of some of
    the previous identities used is appended at the end of this reply.
    It's not foolproof since new sock puppets can be created quicker
    than you can read this reply.

    From your description of the temperature range the camera was
    subjected to, it's unlikely to have damaged the camera, other than
    perhaps any unseen *very* heat sensitive parts such as rubber, foam
    rubber, glues, etc. Most electronic components can take quite a bit
    of heat, especially resistors and silicon based semiconductors which
    can withstand very high sustained temperatures approaching the
    boiling point of water (over 200 deg. F.).

    As far as the "clock coin cell" is concerned, your camera may not
    have one. Some of Canon's small Powershot cameras use them and
    others don't. The ones that do use them are so identified in the
    camera's manuals, showing which coin cells need to be used as well
    as where they're located. Cameras may use only a capacitor to keep
    the clock running and to protect volatile memory while the battery
    is replaced. This is a short term protection, usually giving you
    only several minutes to replace the main battery(s). This is more
    likely to be used with cameras that aren't specifically designed to
    use rechargeable batteries. Other cameras use a small rechargeable
    NiCd battery that's *not* replaceable. Soldered to an internal
    circuit board in the camera, these often are able to keep the camera
    clocks running, and volatile memory from being lost for a month or
    more before they die, which can be a real pain if you need that to
    happen to generate a true hardware reset, as opposed to a software
    reset. But these do a good job of keeping the camera protected
    while the camera's main battery is out of the camera in a battery
    charger, and may not be put back into the camera for many hours, if
    not days.

    Let your FZ20 camera dry as best it can for at least several more
    days. An alternative to hard to find dessicant bags would be to put
    the camera into a large airtight glass jar along with lots of dry
    rice. (That's "rice", not "ice". :) ) Rice is often added to other
    products (salt, sugar, etc.) to keep it flowing freely because of
    rice's ability to absorb moisture. And as promised, here's a
    partial list of some of the identities previously used by our buddy
    "Do This". Watch the replies that this message may attract. They
    may be instructive. <g>

    ASAAR, Sep 10, 2007
  16. "Yoshi" <> wrote:

    >Dont put it in an oven... that's idiotic advice. Put the camera, sans
    >batteries and card, into a closed airtight container with a dessicant like
    >silica gel for several days.

    I don't often post "Me too" responses, but this particular
    comment is *really* *really* good advice.

    Lots of dessicant, and *several* days.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Sep 10, 2007
  17. "ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    My my my! Looks like the resident troll is still adding names to that
    list. I couldn't help but stop in to see the standing joke ASSAAR
    actually doing this. :) Someone just sent me a pm to check out this
    thread to see for myself.

    He (or she?), ASSAAR, is so helpful you know. It doesn't even own a
    camera. All it does is regurgitate what it's read online about
    cameras. This time the foolish troll even restates exactly what was
    said by someone giving you the original adivce. Usually the ASSAAR
    troll grabs the info from other newsgroups or pages on the net and
    then pretend that it thought of it all by itself! It's such a proud
    resident troll when it does that. LOL!

    Good thing that ASSAAR didn't run across advice telling you to take a
    blowtorch to your camera, it would have told that to you too if it
    read it in more than 2 places on the net :)

    Well ASSAAR, my bet is placed on Jan. 18th 2008 for when you finally
    add 1000 names to your list. Surely you can do better than this. I
    count over 25 other people that posted from Easynews recently. The
    ONLY reason that you think they are all the same person because every
    one last one of them knows you're nothing but a scum sucking troll in
    this newsgroup and told you so. That list isn't a testament to how
    many people are sock-puppets, but how many of them have put you on
    their killfilter as a useless fucked-up troll that's just dying for
    attention. What a nice collection of names you have there. Each and
    every one of them telling you what a fucked-up troll you are.

    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

    I couldn't believe that this was going on in this newsgroup when told
    about it. I had to stop in to see this for myself. Never in my life
    have I ever seen such a huge fucking idiot and usenet joke before!

    Remember ASSAAR, don't disappoint me!! I have $10 on the date for you
    to add 1000 names to your list, names of people that knows you are a
    useless usenet troll. Surely you can count more of them than that. :)

    I certainly can! LOL!!

    Stephen James, Sep 10, 2007
  18. TommyC

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 9, 3:52 pm, TommyC <> wrote:
    >> I am hoping that leaving the camera airing out will
    >> improve things.
    >>
    >> But if it doens't what do I do for the camera?
    >>
    >> It's a Pansonic Lumix FZ20.

    > Here is my suggestion for the wet Lumix. On the next hot day, drive
    > your car up on the freeway. Make sure there are no police around and
    > get up to speed (80-90mph works best) and hold the Lumix out of the
    > Window. Then let go.
    >
    > [The tip about the police is so you won't be charged with littering.]

    And I thought you'd only recommend doing that with a Nikon!
    ;-)
    JohnR66, Sep 10, 2007
  19. TommyC

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Sep 9, 11:41 pm, Melvin Schiefer <> wrote:
    > The Lumix line are a perfectly fine and admirable line of cameras.

    They are crap cameras that take crap pictures.
    Annika1980, Sep 10, 2007
  20. TommyC

    George Kerby Guest

    On 9/9/07 7:12 PM, in article ,
    "Do This" <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> 2. Obviously, applying no electricity while there is moisture in the
    >> camera is what I want to do (even though I've applied a LOT of
    >> electricity by turning the camera on probably at least five times since
    >> I got in trouble). But how do I test the camera again without applying
    >> electricity?
    >>
    >> 3. How do I find and remove the clock coin cell? I cant' find it
    >> referenced in the manual.

    > Your impatience and drastic drying methods may have destroyed your camera. Do
    > as
    > I said and leave it alone for a few days to a week before attempting it again.
    > And TAKE IT OUT OF THAT 150 F. OVEN! If you read that advice online someone
    > was
    > intentionally trying to get you to destroy your camera. If you thought of that
    > on your own ... I don't think you deserve to have a camera.

    Perhaps report him to People for the Ethical Treatment of Cameras (PETC) in
    that case...
    George Kerby, Sep 10, 2007