    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

    , Feb 18, 2005

  2. TCS Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:43:20 -0500, <> wrote:
    >I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
    >when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
    >during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
    >might not like the heat.

    >How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
    >there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
    >camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
    >something like that.

    >Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
    >and theft light ;)

    If the batteries can take the heat, so can the camera. Try to keep the
    temp under 180 DEGF and you'll be ok.

    TCS, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Tony Guest

    I would imagine the same method I've used for decades will work. A cooler. I
    keep my film and gear in it. No coolant or any rushing it indoors or
    anything. OTOH I don't travel through a lot of hot deserts.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Ron Recer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
    > when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
    > during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
    > might not like the heat.
    >
    > How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
    > there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
    > camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
    > something like that.
    >
    > Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
    > and theft light ;)

    Except for brief periods of use and overnight stays inside while the battery
    is charging, my Canon G1 has resided in the console of my Chevy 3500 pickup
    since June of '03. Doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Mij Adyaw Guest

    It is a BAD idea. I would not expost my cameras to these types of
    conditions. Why don't you just take the camera out of the car?

    Mij Adyaw, Feb 18, 2005
  6. TCS Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:37:27 -0800, Mij Adyaw <> wrote:

    >> Except for brief periods of use and overnight stays inside while the
    >> battery
    >> is charging, my Canon G1 has resided in the console of my Chevy 3500
    >> pickup
    >> since June of '03. Doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.
    >>

    >It is a BAD idea. I would not expost my cameras to these types of
    >conditions. Why don't you just take the camera out of the car?

    Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
    he sees a photo-op.

    TCS, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Markeau Guest

    For the last 2yrs my Canon S400 has remained in my vehicle in repeated
    temps of >100 (probably more like 120F inside in direct sun, closed
    vehicle) and <20 degrees F with no problems ... I leave it in there so
    I will be prepared in case some unexpected thing happens, and yes it
    is a pocket camera but I can't always remember to take stuff with me
    every day ... In fact, I also leave my Canon Elura2 video cam in
    there, too, and it also has had no problems.

    Markeau, Feb 18, 2005
  8. <> wrote in message

    > How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
    > there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
    > camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
    > something like that.

    Why not just leave it in the trunk? It won't be anywhere near as hot, and
    there will be less temptation to steal it.

    Andrew Koenig, Feb 18, 2005
  9. wrote:
    > I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
    > when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
    > during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
    > might not like the heat.
    >
    > How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
    > there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
    > camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
    > something like that.
    >
    > Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
    > and theft light ;)
    >
    > Wes

    In general digitals are less sensitive to heat than film. However they
    still have mechanical parts which may end up being damaged (lube may melt
    and end up in the wrong place for example) Batteries may be a problem as
    well. I would try to avoid it although I doubt if it will be a problem most
    of the time.

    I always just keep the camera with me. Less of a target and if I am
    comfortable, it is as well.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 19, 2005
  10. Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
    >when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
    >during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
    >might not like the heat.
    >
    >How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
    >there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
    >camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
    >something like that.
    >
    >Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
    >and theft light ;)
    >
    >Wes

    Wes, I cannot directly address your question, re: digital cameras in a hot
    car, but:

    Shooting film for two weeks in 130F desert daytime temps, down to 118F at
    night, I kept film in a Gott cooler with fresh ice. Gott was bought by
    Coleman, IIRC, and their well-insulated design went away. In an uninsulated
    camper shell, the ice lasted for ~ days even though we were in and out quite a
    bit. Now, to what might be available today - there are several 12v coolers
    that plug into cig lighter socket. AutoSport and Girott's [SP?] have offered
    them in the past. I've seen the one that was built-in in a Toyota van, and it
    did a nice job with film at Arches NP in the Summer.

    Some vehicles, like wife's MB S-500 offer AC for the trunk, which works OK,
    but not great, because of lack of major insulation.

    As a thought, I'd try and keep a digital cool if at all possible, but maybe
    someone here can acurately state the safety range.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Feb 19, 2005
  11. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
    > when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
    > during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
    > might not like the heat.
    >
    > How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
    > there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
    > camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
    > something like that.
    >
    > Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
    > and theft light ;)
    >
    > Wes

    A digital camera would probably do just fine at temps that would degrade
    the image on a film camera, not that it would do the batteries, or the
    LCD any good either. I have been known to store the camera near the
    ice-chest...
    It does get hot down here in Texas!

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 19, 2005
  12. Ron Recer Guest

    wrote:

    > >> Except for brief periods of use and overnight stays inside while the
    > >> battery
    > >> is charging, my Canon G1 has resided in the console of my Chevy 3500
    > >> pickup
    > >> since June of '03. Doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.
    > >>

    > >It is a BAD idea. I would not expost my cameras to these types of
    > >conditions. Why don't you just take the camera out of the car?

    > Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
    > he sees a photo-op.

    Exactly! When I know I'll be taking some photos I take my 10D with me. All
    the rest of the time I know I have the G1 in the console if a photo-op
    arises.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Feb 19, 2005
  13. Colin D Guest

    wrote:

    > I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much on this subject. Back
    > when I was shooting film, the idea of having a camera in a parked car
    > during summer seemed like a very bad idea since I figured the film
    > might not like the heat.
    >
    > How do digital cameras hold up in hot closed up parked cars? Are
    > there any reasonable cost storage containers that will protect the
    > camera? Likely using something like a peltier effect cooler or
    > something like that.
    >
    > Are digicams sturdy enough to take the heat if not in direct sunlight
    > and theft light ;)

    Other posters have answered the question pretty fully, but there's one
    aspect of keeping the camera in a cooler of some sort, and that's
    condensation. Taking the camera out of a cooler and into humid heat
    will cause condensation on the lens, and maybe on the sensor. If you go
    the cooler way, check for this.

    Colin

    Colin D, Feb 19, 2005
  14. Ron Recer <> wrote:

    : "TCS" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:37:27 -0800, Mij Adyaw <>
    : wrote:
    : >
    : > Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
    : > he sees a photo-op.
    : >
    : Exactly! When I know I'll be taking some photos I take my 10D with me.
    : All the rest of the time I know I have the G1 in the console if a
    : photo-op arises.

    Things to consider.

    A dark colored camera will be suseptable to solar heating causing extreme
    heat to build up in the camera if exposed to the sun. Plastic parts can be
    weakened or warped by temps in car windows. Magnetic storage media can be
    damaged or erased by high heat. Batteries can be damaged or just become
    discharged by too much heat (or cold).

    But having said this, most cameras are made to withstand the temps that
    humans can survive in. So if minimal care is taken, they should be able to
    do ok being stored in a car. At a minimum, wrapping a camera in a white
    towel (both for heat and vibration protection) and storing on the floor of
    the car (away from the heat that can pool near the roof). The suggestion
    of a small cooler (also stored out of direct sun) would be a very good
    storage idea. If this idea is used, you may want to lean toward a hard
    sided cooler with a towel to pad the inside to protect the camera from
    impact damage as well as temp. In most cases the insulation of the cooler
    would solve the problems of heat buildup in a parked car without any need
    to actually chill the box.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Feb 19, 2005
  15. Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Recer wrote:
    > "TCS" <> wrote in message

    >>>It is a BAD idea. I would not expost my cameras to these types of
    >>>conditions. Why don't you just take the camera out of the car?

    >>Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
    >>he sees a photo-op.
    >>

    > Exactly! When I know I'll be taking some photos I take my 10D with me. All
    > the rest of the time I know I have the G1 in the console if a photo-op
    > arises.
    >
    > Ron

    I want a 1Gigapixel camera built into my eyeball. I often see photo ops
    that are so transient that that would be the only way to catch them...
    Maybe next year.....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 19, 2005
  16. Ron Hunter Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > Ron Recer <> wrote:
    >
    > : "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > : news:...
    > : > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:37:27 -0800, Mij Adyaw <>
    > : wrote:
    > : >
    > : > Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
    > : > he sees a photo-op.
    > : >
    > : Exactly! When I know I'll be taking some photos I take my 10D with me.
    > : All the rest of the time I know I have the G1 in the console if a
    > : photo-op arises.
    >
    > Things to consider.
    >
    > A dark colored camera will be suseptable to solar heating causing extreme
    > heat to build up in the camera if exposed to the sun. Plastic parts can be
    > weakened or warped by temps in car windows. Magnetic storage media can be
    > damaged or erased by high heat. Batteries can be damaged or just become
    > discharged by too much heat (or cold).
    >
    > But having said this, most cameras are made to withstand the temps that
    > humans can survive in. So if minimal care is taken, they should be able to
    > do ok being stored in a car. At a minimum, wrapping a camera in a white
    > towel (both for heat and vibration protection) and storing on the floor of
    > the car (away from the heat that can pool near the roof). The suggestion
    > of a small cooler (also stored out of direct sun) would be a very good
    > storage idea. If this idea is used, you may want to lean toward a hard
    > sided cooler with a towel to pad the inside to protect the camera from
    > impact damage as well as temp. In most cases the insulation of the cooler
    > would solve the problems of heat buildup in a parked car without any need
    > to actually chill the box.
    >
    > JMHO
    >
    > Randy
    >
    > ==========
    > Randy Berbaum
    > Champaign, IL

    Good suggestions, Randy. Note that a car parked in direct sun in August
    in Texas can reach temps of 160 degrees in just a few minutes. Humans
    wouldn't survive long in that temperature. Every year some parent
    leaves a child in the car, only to find them dead when they return with
    the groceries... Damn sad. Wouldn't hurt a camera left out of the sun,
    but is fatal to children and pets.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 19, 2005
  17. Guest

    My experience is that the semipro and pro digicams can take the heat
    of a closed car in summer - and the pocket/purse ones go with you
    indoors.
    Of course, just keep the digicam left in the car shaded - both to
    keep direct sun off of it and to protect it from theft! Just putting a
    nondescript empty grocery bag over the digicam carry bag works fine.

    See all our stuff at <I><B><a
    href="http://stores.ebay.com/Internet-Gun-Show">Internet Gun

    , Feb 19, 2005
  18. Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    : I want a 1Gigapixel camera built into my eyeball. I often see photo ops
    : that are so transient that that would be the only way to catch them...
    : Maybe next year.....

    Why am I hearing a rapid beeping sound and hearing a voice over saying
    something about "we can rebuild him..."? :)

    the six million pixel man!

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Feb 19, 2005
  19. Ron Recer wrote:
    > "TCS" <> wrote in message

    >>> It is a BAD idea. I would not expost my cameras to these types of
    >>> conditions. Why don't you just take the camera out of the car?

    >> Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
    >> he sees a photo-op.
    >>

    > Exactly! When I know I'll be taking some photos I take my 10D with
    > me. All the rest of the time I know I have the G1 in the console if
    > a photo-op arises.
    >
    > Ron

    Then you don't want to leave it in the car, you want the camera with
    you, not left if the car. :)

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 19, 2005
  20. Ron Recer Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Ron Recer wrote:
    > > "TCS" <> wrote in message

    > >>Perhaps he wants to avoid driving home to get it every single time
    > >>he sees a photo-op.
    > >>

    > > Exactly! When I know I'll be taking some photos I take my 10D with me.

    All
    > > the rest of the time I know I have the G1 in the console if a photo-op
    > > arises.
    > >
    > > Ron
    > >

    > I want a 1Gigapixel camera built into my eyeball. I often see photo ops
    > that are so transient that that would be the only way to catch them...
    > Maybe next year.....

    Why not get one built into each eyeball? That way you could make stereo
    pictures! <g>

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Feb 19, 2005