Camera images screwed up on particular PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joe Warrington, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Hi - I have recently started having a problem with downloading images from
    my digital camera onto my PC. The camera is the Sony DSC-P120, and my PC is:
    Win XP Home SP2
    Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard w/4 USB 2.0 sockets
    Athlon XP 1600+, 512MB Crucial PC2700 RAM....
    When I download images from the camera through any of the 4 USB 2.0 sockets,
    from either of my 2 memory cards, the images come out streaky, with large
    horizontal bands of distorted colour and parts offset to the sides. A few
    images aren't affected, but almost all are, and some cannot be drawn to the
    screen at all! However I download them, whether opening them straight from
    the memory card or after copying them to the hard drive, with whatever
    program, it is always the same effect. The pictures get mangled in a
    different way each time when I open them, but the actual stored images on
    the memory card aren't damaged. The images look fine when I download them on
    another computer, so it is not the camera at fault I don't think.

    I have reinstalled the USB 2.0 drivers for my motherboard, and the drivers
    for the camera, both with no effect. I am confused because I run a Logitech
    cordless keyboard and mouse off one of the USB ports, and that works fine,
    as did my camera until about two weeks ago. I can't understand what the
    problem can possibly be!

    Has anyone encountered this before? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Joe

    Joe Warrington, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Joe Warrington

    Timberwolf Guest

    "Joe Warrington" <> wrote in message
    > Hi - I have recently started having a problem with downloading images from
    > my digital camera onto my PC. The camera is the Sony DSC-P120, and my PC
    > is:
    > Win XP Home SP2
    > Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard w/4 USB 2.0 sockets
    > Athlon XP 1600+, 512MB Crucial PC2700 RAM....
    > When I download images from the camera through any of the 4 USB 2.0
    > sockets, from either of my 2 memory cards, the images come out streaky,
    > with large horizontal bands of distorted colour and parts offset to the
    > sides. A few images aren't affected, but almost all are, and some cannot
    > be drawn to the screen at all! However I download them, whether opening
    > them straight from the memory card or after copying them to the hard
    > drive, with whatever program, it is always the same effect. The pictures
    > get mangled in a different way each time when I open them, but the actual
    > stored images on the memory card aren't damaged. The images look fine when
    > I download them on another computer, so it is not the camera at fault I
    > don't think.
    >
    > I have reinstalled the USB 2.0 drivers for my motherboard, and the drivers
    > for the camera, both with no effect. I am confused because I run a
    > Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse off one of the USB ports, and that
    > works fine, as did my camera until about two weeks ago. I can't understand
    > what the problem can possibly be!
    >
    > Has anyone encountered this before? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >
    > Joe

    sounds like a bad usb cable/connector or badly seated card,try a new cable\0\0\0Technology screws up without prior notice these days---do you have any
    problems in device manager?

    Timberwolf, Dec 9, 2004