    battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    everything was fine. Ideas?!

    Nemo, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Nemo

    miles Guest

    Nemo wrote:
    > First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    > Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    > within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    > battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    > was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    > everything was fine. Ideas?!

    I have a new P850 and it locked up on me inside my home. I think I
    moved the mode dial up top and it just locked up. It would not turn
    off. I had to remove the battery for a few seconds. Started working
    fine but lost the date & time. Probably some firmware code problems
    that I hope Kodak fixes.

    miles, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Nemo

    Nemo Guest

    I just checked my time and date on the camera and that was fine. I
    remember reading that someone else had this problem, which is why I
    took out the battery and reinstalled. Thank goodness I read that or I
    would have been without a camera for awhile. Thanks for your input.
    There's a Kodak rep. that looks at these sites. Hopefully, he will see
    these problems. I have always found that Kodak takes care of their
    customers.

    Nemo, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Nemo

    Beach Bum Guest

    "Nemo" <> wrote in message
    > First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    > Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    > within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    > battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    > was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    > everything was fine. Ideas?!

    Yeah. Move someplace that isn't so bloody cold. :)

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com/gallery

    Beach Bum, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Nemo

    Fink Ployd Guest

    "Nemo" <> wrote in message
    > First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    > Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    > within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    > battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    > was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    > everything was fine. Ideas?!

    I would say keep your eye on it right now. My Canon has froze up 2 times in
    a 27 month period so it could of been just coincedence or maybe something in
    the camera. You said after taking the battery out and reinstalling it then
    it was fine. I shoot in colder weather than this, you should be fine. Cold
    weather will do a number on battery strength though. Post back if it happens
    again i'd be interested to know. Good luck.

    Fink Ployd, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Nemo

    Martin Brown Guest

    Nemo wrote:

    > First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    > Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    > within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    > battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    > was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    > everything was fine. Ideas?!

    Did it show a low battery warning? At very low temperatures it pays to
    keep a spare battery in your inside jacket pocket. Their ability to
    supply power seems to dwindle when they are seriously cold. I find this
    a bit surprising but I have found my batteries last poorly in very cold
    conditions ( < -10C) but recover again in the warm indoors.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jan 19, 2006
  7. Nemo

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:55:15 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

    > Did it show a low battery warning? At very low temperatures it pays to
    > keep a spare battery in your inside jacket pocket. Their ability to
    > supply power seems to dwindle when they are seriously cold. I find this
    > a bit surprising but I have found my batteries last poorly in very cold
    > conditions ( < -10C) but recover again in the warm indoors.

    If you have a camera that uses AA batteries (even if it requires a
    battery grip to do so) you should be able to keep going far longer
    than if you use rechargeable lithium or NiMH batteries. Primary
    lithium AAs are rated for use down to 40 below zero. That's
    assuming that the camera will continue to operate in temperatures
    that frigid. In that case, not just batteries but also the camera
    might have to be parked inside your parka to keep it going.

    ASAAR, Jan 19, 2006
  8. Nemo

    Matt Ion Guest

    Nemo wrote:
    > First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    > Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    > within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    > battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    > was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    > everything was fine. Ideas?!

    -20 isn't very cold. Your camera is a wimp! :)

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0603-3, 01/18/2006
    Tested on: 1/19/2006 10:36:42 PM

    Matt Ion, Jan 20, 2006
  9. Nemo

    Nemo Guest

    Or maybe, I'm the wimp! I haven't had a problem since, I am hoping this
    was a one off. Regards.

    Nemo, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Nemo

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >Nemo wrote:

    >> First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    >> Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    >> within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    >> battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    >> was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    >> everything was fine. Ideas?!

    >Did it show a low battery warning? At very low temperatures it pays to
    >keep a spare battery in your inside jacket pocket. Their ability to
    >supply power seems to dwindle when they are seriously cold. I find this
    >a bit surprising but I have found my batteries last poorly in very cold
    >conditions ( < -10C) but recover again in the warm indoors.

    I know that I'm coming to this very late (it is Saturday for me
    right now) but two things strike my mind.

    Did the OP take the battery out and replace it while outside?
    If so, the cold had nothing to do with it since anything frozen
    up would have remained frozen up.

    If the battery was taken out and replace indoors, did the camera
    start working once it warmed up? If not, again it isn't the
    cold weather.

    As for batteries, *all* batteries have a temperature effect.
    It is part of the inevitable chemistry. Almost all chemical
    reactions have a temperature effect. Lithium ion batteries
    seem to have the least temperature effect, but -20C (that's
    4 F) is fairly cold but many of us have been in colder. But
    it may be enough to do evil to even a lithium ion battery.

    If it ever gets cold in New York again (59 F, 15 C here today...)
    I'll find out.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 22, 2006
  11. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 03:18:38 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital , Paul
    J Gans <> in <dqutie$k2t$> wrote:

    >Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >>Nemo wrote:

    >>> First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    >>> Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    >>> within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    >>> battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    >>> was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    >>> everything was fine. Ideas?!

    >>Did it show a low battery warning? At very low temperatures it pays to
    >>keep a spare battery in your inside jacket pocket. Their ability to
    >>supply power seems to dwindle when they are seriously cold. I find this
    >>a bit surprising but I have found my batteries last poorly in very cold
    >>conditions ( < -10C) but recover again in the warm indoors.

    >I know that I'm coming to this very late (it is Saturday for me
    >right now) but two things strike my mind.
    >
    >Did the OP take the battery out and replace it while outside?
    >If so, the cold had nothing to do with it since anything frozen
    >up would have remained frozen up.
    >
    >If the battery was taken out and replace indoors, did the camera
    >start working once it warmed up? If not, again it isn't the
    >cold weather.
    >
    >As for batteries, *all* batteries have a temperature effect.
    >It is part of the inevitable chemistry. Almost all chemical
    >reactions have a temperature effect. Lithium ion batteries
    >seem to have the least temperature effect, but -20C (that's
    >4 F) is fairly cold but many of us have been in colder. But
    >it may be enough to do evil to even a lithium ion battery.
    >
    >If it ever gets cold in New York again (59 F, 15 C here today...)
    >I'll find out.

    Last year when we had the gates I went out several times to enjoy them
    and take some pictures. One time I had a low charge battery. It kept
    stopping. We would go inside, let it warm up, and it would be good for
    a while outside before stopping again.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    http://www.beawitness.org
    http://www.darfurgenocide.org
    http://www.savedarfur.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"

    Matt Silberstein, Jan 22, 2006
  12. Nemo

    Stewy Guest

    In article <ky%zf.181681$tl.105785@pd7tw3no>,
    Matt Ion <> wrote:

    > Nemo wrote:
    > > First time this has happened. I was taking photos of a lake scene.
    > > Very cold...(-20c) especially with the wind. I took about 20 photos
    > > within a 20 minute time frame, and the camera froze. I don't think the
    > > battery was frozen, but something in the camera did at this temp! This
    > > was my Kodak P850. After I took out the battery and reinstalled,
    > > everything was fine. Ideas?!

    > -20 isn't very cold. Your camera is a wimp! :)

    Was that Centigrade or the other one?

    Stewy, Jan 24, 2006
  13. Nemo

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Nemo" <> wrote:

    > I just checked my time and date on the camera and that was fine. I
    > remember reading that someone else had this problem, which is why I
    > took out the battery and reinstalled. Thank goodness I read that or I
    > would have been without a camera for awhile. Thanks for your input.
    > There's a Kodak rep. that looks at these sites. Hopefully, he will see
    > these problems. I have always found that Kodak takes care of their
    > customers.

    I used a film camera (Canon AE1) a few years ago in -40 weather in
    northern Finland, photographing the aurora. That camera would freeze
    after an hour or so (I'd been keeping it warm all day). Taking a couple
    of cameras may be a good idea.

    Stewy, Jan 24, 2006
  14. Nemo

    Nemo Guest

    Firstly, it was centigrade. I have used a FTB for years and in February
    acquired a T70 . I have never had a problem in any weather. However, I
    did pay attention to temp. as I went to shoot. Digital is new to me as
    of last February. Also, auto anything is new. I am in a learning curve.
    However, I do understand the capabilities of different batteries. I
    think the problem was a one-off, as I have not had a problem since. I
    will, however, remind myself (thanks) to always take the second camera,
    albeit film. I think I relied on the new too much.Regards

    Nemo, Jan 25, 2006